VonWulfen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1485 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

14 minutes ago, VonWulfen said:

Hello all.

How does scaling of your avatar work?

Mr Hudson is set to over 6 feet tall yet she looks tiny in the house compared to the furniture and other items.

Do people usually set their AV much taller than in real world?

scale_001.jpg

Avatars in SL used to be much taller, but have started scaling down over the past 5 or so years.  Some of the furniture and items are still scaled towards the taller avatars, but typically you can shrink the furniture down. The Linden Home houses are scaled for avatars that are a bit taller than normal proportionate sizing, but they are still smaller than homes created a decade ago.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Avatars in SL used to be much taller, but have started scaling down over the past 5 or so years.  Some of the furniture and items are still scaled towards the taller avatars, but typically you can shrink the furniture down. The Linden Home houses are scaled for avatars that are a bit taller than normal proportionate sizing, but they are still smaller than homes created a decade ago.

I see, many thanks :)

• Like 1

You can use a linkset resizer script to shrink things to their proper scale with some ease.

I've got a free one here: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Linkset-Resizer-Script/1224156

it is basically this one:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linkset_resizer

Plus notes on how to use that.

Here is my comment a few days ago when mentioning this exact same thing:

- which has some details on how to scale things in SL.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

When I buy a home, rather then make one myself, I nearly always scale down the house otherwise they are typically much too large for my avie. The nice plus is that typically I get some LI back that I then can use for decorating.

14 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

You can use a linkset resizer script to shrink things to their proper scale with some ease.

I've got a free one here: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Linkset-Resizer-Script/1224156

it is basically this one:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linkset_resizer

Plus notes on how to use that.

Here is my comment a few days ago when mentioning this exact same thing:

- which has some details on how to scale things in SL.

Many thanks my friends, I was struggling to understand what was going on :)

The scale looks appropriate to me. The doorknobs, stove and counter look about waist height to your avatar, which is about where they would be in relation to an average sized person in real life. The door? In my experience doors on older houses tended to be much taller for some reason in real life, if that house is supposed to be a Victorian farmhouse, I wouldn’t pay too much attention to the scale of the door.

Somewhere around 1.82 m (6ft) seems to be a good height so that you don’t look like a child in older builds and normal sized in newer builds. Usually I’m between 1.82 and 1.93 m, I’m taller than some people and shorter than others.

Most people don’t follow scale too, too closely.

Linden homes have unnatural tall ceilings. Because Linden Lab refuse to change the default camera position. It is high over the avatar, so with realistic ceilings, the camera is "stuck" in the roof over your avatar when you walk inside.

Sure, it is lots of suggestions how to lower your camera and set it closer to the avatar body. I think Pussycat, plus many others, have alternative camera settings posted.

The trouble is that so few bother to customize the camera settings on their own. If the house is so low that the camera is stuck, they don't adjust the camera. They move to a bigger house instead. So LL cater to the majority.

I am around 6ft too, and I often scale down furniture a bit. I ignore the high ceilings.

• Like 2

SL avatars are on average much taller than in RL. Average for women I'd guess is around 6', and probably nearer 6'9" or 7' for men. A few people stick with realistically sized avatars but I see no evidence that the number of people doing so is increasing. Part of the problem is that some regions and parcel owners automatically tag shorter avatars as children, and auto-ban them. A bigger problem is that the default camera view is above the avatar's head, so buildings need to be taller to accommodate that. So building designers make their houses taller to accommodate it, and then they make them bigger overall to still appear proportional. Then furniture designers make their furniture bigger to appear in proportion to the buildings. It's a vicious circle and there seems no end to it, and I am probably not helping because my avatar is over 7 feet tall. On purpose, because I am a Noldor elf, not a human. 😁

• Like 3

I didn't look closely at the home in your pic, if indeed, the home is one of the Linden Homes Victorians then the doorknobs are positioned very well for my avatar. My avatar stands just under 6 feet in high heels. The ceilings in the Victorians are tall just as they would have been in Victorian times. Also, the room you are standing in is a closed in porch that doesn't match the ceiling height of the interior rooms, so that too is affecting the volume of the space.

I too agree that the default camera angle is problematic. I haven't used it in probably at least 10 years. Adjusting the camera angle and distance is the nearly the first thing I do when adjusting settings in the viewer.

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 2

There is an ongoing debate about avatar size and the general scale of things in SL. When we thought we were going to get a viewer with VR capability scale became very important. 1920 Berlin was rebuilt to scale to take advantage of VR. But, VR went sideways in SL and was shipped off to Sansar.

Things are the way they are because of the CAMERA. The Lindens placed it where they did as a compromise between standing-walking and sitting. Now many of us change our camera defaults. See Camera Position Tips.

Penny Patton is a builder in SL and has had a lot to say about scale and some of the problems it causes and how to take advantage of it to get more of this world for L$. See A Matter of Scale.

Edited by Nalates Urriah
  • Like 1

Currently I use three heights in second life and I alternate between them. I also have a 1/3 scale petite avatar and I shrink a lot of things for her. At least two communities that I interact with a lot actually are built/scaled realistically to reflect modern human sizes and one is larger. For many years I was five foot three exactly, and I built and scaled so many things down to fit. I’m a little more flexible these days.

I think that fitting in to the scale of what’s around me feels best, but there are times when I don’t pay attention to it still and just want to be a certain height. I think you’ll get as many answers to this as there are communities who like a certain scale.😹

• Like 2

On 3/18/2020 at 12:48 PM, Marianne Little said:

Sure, it is lots of suggestions how to lower your camera and set it closer to the avatar body. I think Pussycat, plus many others, have alternative camera settings posted.

Here:

https://catnapkitty.wordpress.com/getting-started-in-second-life/#Camera_Setup

Doing this won't just fix the perception of scale being weird - it'll make SL look a lot more "normal view".

If you look at some people's screenshots you will see that the sides often seem to stretch out... fix your camera setup, that issue resolves.

On 3/18/2020 at 2:01 PM, FuIlM00n said:

if you want a true ruler in SL I can send one to you via SL.

Just rez a prim next to anything, stretch it to match, and read the numbers on the prim. That's the ONLY true ruler.

13 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Penny Patton is a builder in SL and has had a lot to say about scale and some of the problems it causes and how to take advantage of it to get more of this world for L$. See A Matter of Scale.

Not sure Penny is still around. But her focus has typically been more on scale, mine has been on proportion. There is a lot of overlap though as the subjects are highly related due the slider limitations.

https://catnapkitty.wordpress.com/2011/06/15/getting-good-body-proportions-in-second-life/

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 3

the problem is an old one. The camera is set way too high so all the objects are foreshortened and appear shorter than they are. The doors are so tall and the rooms so large is so the camera doesn't go through walls. i use a custom setting for mine so i don't have to worry about that.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1485 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.