Bakes on mesh

BriiScarlander

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1447 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If you are asking how to use it on your avatar, it depends on the brand of mesh body / mesh head you have. 

If your mesh body and/or head are BOM compatible, and you're just having problems using the BOM functionality, a few specifics about the problems you're running into would be helpful for those who might be able to provide some answers.

OK, I won't be able to be much help, as I don't wear either of those since BOM came out (I decided to go full Slink Redux at that time), but both Maitreya and Genus are very popular with others here in the forum, so hopefully someone else will be along soon that can comment on how to get those brands set up for BOM.  (I think, but am not sure, that there is an applier for Lara that will provide BOM functionality.) 

You need an Omega BOM Relay for Maitreya, you can get them for free several places in world and on the marketplace. I don't use Genus so I'm not sure if it's BOM ready or if it needs an applier but if it does need an applier it should be easy to find.

Tonic Body actually has BOM omega appliers free that will work with any body and head that are omega compatible.

A HUGE benefit to BOM is not having to worry about layers conflicting and then having the annoying flicker that happens, especially with makeup. You can use up to 64 total layers ,

You can use any system layers although there are some issues with facial features not lining up right for certain heads. For instance noses kind of look odd but Izzie's has created BOM nose fix layers that come in various shades. Also there are issues with the fingers and toes for system skins  (since toes were just painted on and fingers weren't bento) but most skin makers now provide BOM fixes for those skins that are still supported.  I have an Pink Fuel skin I haven't worn since I got a mesh head because there is no head applier for it and it looks good with the mesh head I have.  On Flickr I saw someone who had tried a Curio skin with their head (not sure which one) and it looked really good. 

• Like 3

Maitreya themselves make their own BoM relay. I'm sure Genus must also include some BoM functionality by now. In either case, Do Not wear an alpha later. Have all your system skin visible to you, so that BoM can also see it an and apply it to your body and your head. BoM automatically hides your system body parts after this process.

Edited by Ivanova Shostakovich
  • Like 2

Genus is BOM ready and you should have received an attachment for it. If not, ask the group. You will need to remove your Genus alpha. Once you apply a system Genus skin and click your BOM hud, you should see your new BOM skin on your Genus head. ^.^ If you have any system tattoo layers (lots of designers are adding them with their products or updating them now), you can add them to your head and they stack wonderfully. You are still able to use Genus appliers if need be as well.

• Like 2

You can pick up a BOM relay for Maitreya from the Maitreya store; I think it's free, or at least very cheap.  I don't know about Genus but I presume they would have their own.

You need to wear your body (and head), and the relay, then click on the relay. If you're wearing your body and head alphas, your skin will turn bright red; take off the alphas and your body and head will change to your underlying classic skin. Once done, you can take off the relay and forget about it, you won't need to wear it every time you change something.  From here on, your body and head will show whatever system skins ans tattoo/clothing layers you're wearing.

If at any time you want to cancel the switch to BOM, just put the alphas back on and re-apply an applier skin.

• Like 3

I think a lot really over detail and over explain things with bom. .. im in the same boat as the original person that posted this .. (or rather i was).

Take off your alpha layer..on your body and head in "worn" ... bom wont work if you have these on.

Newer skins are coming out with the bom tattoo looking layers. Add these to yourself. 

15 hours ago, elviratg said:

Where exatly in the store is this and what is it called? I can find various kits, but nothing relating to BOM or relays

Yesterday I went looking for it in the store and couldn't find it either.   I joined the Maitreya group but didn't see a notice (but notices don't stay around for too long).  I want to try BOM out, but if it's going to be a treasure hunt or a lot of work to get the Maitreya relay to do BOM, I may think about looking at other bodies. 

With   this  62 layer limit on BoM  is that meant mainly for omega and applier  added  layers     ,  we are limited to 38  wearables  classic  tattoos and  such those  are counted against the wearable  38 limit     ,,,    Will  this ever change  or  be expanded ?

Edited by JamiStarbrite

9 hours ago, Arwen Serpente said:

On the MP it is called:

Maitreya Bakes on Mesh Relay HUD

So enter that in search and it will take you right to it.

Thanks, my own searches for maitreya bom relay brought up everything that could be applied by omega. Did find some nice boots though :-)

12 hours ago, JamiStarbrite said:

With   this  62 layer limit on BoM  is that meant mainly for omega and applier  added  layers     ,  we are limited to 38  wearables  classic  tattoos and  such those  are counted against the wearable  38 limit     ,,,    Will  this ever change  or  be expanded ?

38 is the limit for attachments - body parts, mesh clothing pieces, etc.

62 (or whatever) is the limit for system layers - skins, tattoos, system clothing, etc. This is in addition to and independent from attachments.

Applier layers are limited to the number of onion layers the body/head maker has built into their product, and there's a high probability of glitching when using more than one alpha-blended onion layer at a time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Heyas. Not sure if this is the right topic and I probably will never use BoM since my body/head/makeup none of them are BoM.

However, something may change my mind to consider BoM. So I would like to know if a couple of things would be possible.

My current heads (All Genuses) use the little bumpy skin option + materials. I also use different eyebrows, dimples and lipstick all of which have their own materials, different from the face. Uhm How do I explain it, they each shimmer differently and I find that very realistic. It's just how the appliers seem to be. Will they still have their own individual materials if I upgrade to BoM. Also will the skin bumpies show?

And last curiosity I have, my legacy body also has those bumps enabled and I use the default skin, will it look the exact same on BoM? If not I'll stick with normal onion appliers. I am super addicted to materials and such and I don't want one type of material shine across all layers  when I can have each layer shinning differently.

blah I hope that makes sense. :3 lol sorry if I sounded like a total peasant ^^ 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ErukaVonD said:

My current heads (All Genuses) use the little bumpy skin option + materials. I also use different eyebrows, dimples and lipstick all of which have their own materials, different from the face. Uhm How do I explain it, they each shimmer differently and I find that very realistic. It's just how the appliers seem to be. Will they still have their own individual materials if I upgrade to BoM. Also will the skin bumpies show?

I’ve been on SL for ten years and BoM is confusing to me. It’s confusing! I’ll take a crack at it, someone will correct me if I’m wrong.

A head like Genus is still using onion layers. They haven’t  come out with a single mesh BoM head yet. So each layer is still there and should still have a material slot. So in the case of genus you should still have materials for the lipstick, eyebrow and tattoo layers. The skin bump should still be there as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, janetosilio said:

I’ve been on SL for ten years and BoM is confusing to me. It’s confusing! I’ll take a crack at it, someone will correct me if I’m wrong.

A head like Genus is still using onion layers. They haven’t  come out with a single mesh BoM head yet. So each layer is still there and should still have a material slot. So in the case of genus you should still have materials for the lipstick, eyebrow and tattoo layers. The skin bump should still be there as well.

you're my hero ❤️

If you want to see what a head made for BoM looks like and how it functions, I'd suggest you go demo one of the latest Lelutka Evolution heads. You still have all the material options you want to use but it's fully BoM capable. I'm not suggesting you buy one but that by demoing it you'll get a better understanding of how BoM works with a mesh head.

• 2 weeks later...

I suspect much of the confusion over BoM is because people don't understand the technical difference between a prim and an avatar.

An avatar is a special case in SL. Everything else is a prim. The avatars are rendered by a different part of the render engine.

The channel for prims handles all the attributes one can find in the Build panel. That includes materials, the stuff that gives shine and roughness... bumpy. What it does not handle is LAYERS. Everything put on a prim has to be composited and rendered outside of SL.

Avatars render in a channel that processes layers; skin, tats, underwear, clothes, and jacket. All the layers are composited into a single texture. But, this channel does not handle materials. The bake service just doesn't know what to do with them. Never has. Is unlikely to ever handle them. (It is a sticky, difficult tech problem.)

The result is designers designed bodies with onion skins, a body within a body within a body... etc. to simulate layers. Each layer of the body is a prim, sort of... and can have diffuse (texture like skin or tat or ...), and a material made of Specular and Normal layers to give it more realistic look. This is the solution to the no layers on a prim problem. But, the problem with this is you can't WEAR stuff and see it on a prim. That only works on avatars. So, APPLIERS were developed to change the attributes of the prim (a prim we call a mesh body). Appliers are scripted things that can change all the values you find in the Build Panel. So, they easily do materials.

With the advent of BoM things changed so that we could use the avatar's composited texture on a prim. Now prims can use a part of the avatar render channel to allow compositing of layers. Rather than have to put everything together in Photoshop and import it we can send the various layers to the Server Side Bake service and the viewer will put them all together and then render that composite on whatever prim we designate to use BoM.

There will be a time when we no longer talk about BoM, unless you are a geek. People will just wear their skin, tat, underwear, etc. as they once did and never think about what is happening technically.

The result is some designers are going for a single layer body, no body within, within, etc., and designate it use a BoM texture and others are staying with onion skins that use the BoM texture as the base or bottom layer.

Since we can't send materials through the avatar's render channel we still have to use an Applier to add materials to the BoM prim (mesh body).  So, far there are very few making just Materials Appliers and even fewer that understand why or how to use them.

The simplest way to describe this is to say the Classic avatar hasn't changed. Mesh bodies changed by adding the Classic body's features to the skin layer of the BoM mesh bodies. Not much else changed. Whatever you could once do with a Classic body and can still do. But now, what you WEAR will show on your new BoM body.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1447 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.