Something wrong with today's restarts?

Maitimo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1603 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I think there's definitely something wrong, even though it's the same server version.  I crash when saving a script in any region that was already restarted, and don't crash when saving the same script in any region that hasn't been restarted yet.  They're all Second Life Server 2019-12-04T20:29:26.533447 before and after restart.

59 minutes ago, arabellajones said:

I don't know what's been happening, but it looks as though today's restarts are being repeated

Indeed, they are. My home region (Nuggy) is down right now, despite having been restarted earlier and being apparently healthy (Scripts Run were around 90% average).
I don't know if scripts could be saved there or not because I didn't try.

Edited by MBeatrix

• Lindens

As Profaitchikenz alludes to, we made a change to our restart procedure aimed at minimizing disruption (trying to limit each region to one restart) when restarting simhosts (not merely simulators, which as Grumpity Linden posted about is handled by Grid Poking Bot) but unfortunately this exposed a bug with restarting these machines that affected saving scripts in-world. In order to avoid having script saving broken, we started the roll from scratch without this change to our procedure, which is as of this post is ongoing and headed toward the finish line.

• Thanks 5

My home region, Vallone, is up, but un-enterable by both me and another parcel owner.Ticket #1463918 filed at Tue, 7 Jan at 1:25 PM. No reply as of Tue, 7 Jan at 6:37 PM.

failedtograntcapabilities.thumb.png.63e40a049dadef5ca07785d326507e8c.png

I can look in, but bounce off the region boundary if I try to enter. Message is "Failed to grant capabilities". Can't TP to my own parcel.

Everything over there seems to be working; escalators and NPCs are doing their keyframe motion. Scripts are clearly running OK. Animations aren't running; though; all animesh are in pose stand position.

This is a kind of failure I have not seen before.

Northfarthing region has been down and/or not accessible since 21:38 SLT on Jan 6, Monday night.

Ticket was filed when sim crashed Monday night, and nothing was done, or done correctly.   The Big Map showed another region from the mainland (Northfarthing is a private island sim) as replacing it.  But there was no region there and no access, just fake water, as observed from the adjacent region south of it.

Then Tuesday mid day the correct private full region was returned and restarted, but the region was closed to any residents, including the owner -The "unable to grant capabilities" message when trying to enter.  Live chat told the region owner nothing could be done before the restarts were over at 3pm slt.  But support ends at 3pm, so any action on further tickets was ignored.  This region houses several main stores for longtime clients, some smaller shops, many rental apts, a Blues club open 24/7 with 12 hrs/day of events, and several role play platforms from medieval to space. 32 hours with no access, and counting...

Edited by Shamu077
  • Sad 1

Yes, we had the same issue with one of our sims (Darling Estates). Everyone was getting the "failure to grant capabilities" error. We could see the sim from the adjoining sims, but could not enter. I filed a ticket but it has not yet been replied to; However the sim (or perhaps even the server it was on) was restarted a few hours ago and now the sim is accessible again. It had been down since the multiple abnormally long rolling restarts. I thought it would fix itself in an hour or so when the lab saw the problem, or the issue was something else to do with user logins or TPs, so I waited to file a ticket. I won't make that mistake again. 

I was flooded with IMs from scripted objects that could not communicate out in that sim so I got capped repeatedly today.  Our Smartbot was stuck there, not logged in, but not logged out. We were apparently very lucky it was only today. I read some of the others above who have had their sims down for many many hours or days now. It is ridiculous! 

Premium support should NOT end at 3PM. That is the time when things begin to usually go wonky in SL.  With all the new money we are being charged for every single thing under the sun, we should be getting back the 24/7 support we used to have in SL for premium members and sim owners. :/

• Like 1

Vallone is back up, but the "can't see diagonally adjacent region" bug is back. Can't see Bronlen from Vallone, even though Bronlen is up and enterable. Can't see Vallone from Bronlen.

Academy of Industry in New Babbage was down since yesterday, but just came back up, I hear.

7 hours ago, Markham Weatherwax said:

Premium support should NOT end at 3PM.

No, not for a system used from around the world. If you're international, you need at least 16 hours a day of support, so there's some overlap with everyone's active times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Markham Weatherwax said:

Premium support should NOT end at 3PM. That is the time when things begin to usually go wonky in SL.  With all the new money we are being charged for every single thing under the sun, we should be getting back the 24/7 support we used to have in SL for premium members and sim owners.

I had already discussed and demanded the topic of 24 hours support at the Town Hall meeting with the CEO of Linden Labs Ebbe Altberg about 1 1/2 years ago. All that came out of this was the reference to the high costs involved, which, at the moment, would not be bearable. So to speak, only the counter-question came , "and who is to pay for it?" . Of course we premium member and region owner. But that seems to be not enough to actually grant us, the PREMIUMSUPPORT we are entitled to, for which we reach deep into the purse. The idea of outsourcing support to external call centers or the like was also put aside due to the cost. If we add up the time for the alleged maintenance work, the support is available to us for a long time. It is also interesting that Linden wants to sell us the holidays and the Christmas holiday of the employees as maintenance in Grid status. No one takes that away from them anyway. It used to be reported honestly and in kind words and we were also wished A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Edited by Miller Thor
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Miller Thor said:

I had already discussed and demanded the topic of 24 hours support at the Town Hall meeting with the CEO of Linden Labs Ebbe Altberg about 1 1/2 years ago. All that came out of this was the reference to the high costs involved, which, at the moment, would not be bearable. [...]

Those brilliant minds never cease to amaze me. I thought that keeping customers happy providing a quality service was an investment, not a cost. But of course I'm just dumb...

Edited by MBeatrix
typo correction
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The brilliant minds of the breadheads have made the planet a much better place, no ? Giving as little as possible and taking as much as possible has made ... oooh ... lets say about one percent of them, very very rich indeed. I do not refer to SL but RL, although recent financial changes would suggest a breadhead or two has even snuck into our beloved SL to make things a heap better ... for them  !

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MBeatrix said:

I thought that keeping customers happy providing a quality service was an investment, not a cost. 

@MBeatrix You are not dumb but think exactly what everyone who is not yet SL-stupid thinks. Customer service is an investment in customer satisfaction with the company and thus also a future guarantee for the company in order to keep the customer. But the great sacrifices up there see it differently. There they think they can keep people happy by giving them a few small chunks in front of theyr face. However, the men and women on the executive board probably do not see that the customer pays with just under $ 100 a year primarily for a PREMIUMSUPPORT in order to get the best possible support as a region owner / tenant, for which he also pays huge amounts of money to Linden so.

Edited by Miller Thor
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I do also have to add this: NO maintenance should be run, scheduled or unscheduled,  outside of support hours - except for emergency situations. Phone and chat support maintenance should never occur within normal support hours.  Support of all types should be available for a minimum of 16 hours a day, 7 days a week. 

When I see the phone and chat and Concierge services under maintenance or unavailable during normal support hours, what that suggests very strongly is that someone didn't come in to work that day, or left early for a dental appointment. What it doesn't suggest is that there is adequate support staff employed; We already know that it is seriously understaffed because no real support is provided over weekends. As such, no maintenance or upgrade or changes should ever be implemented over a weekend. 

The ticket system doesn't count for adequate support for sim/region/land owners and premium members when it takes a full 24 hour day or longer to get even the most basic response from qualified support personnel. Waiting a day or days for a reply, getting a canned response, and then the support agent immediately closing the ticket is very common, very unprofessional, and shows a serious lack of competence and/or training OR policy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Markham Weatherwax

I hate to sound like a terminal cynic (which I am) but your points are perfectly valid (I agree 100%) and likely to be utterly ignored by LL.  We have survived (just) for the last 15 years with almost zero customer service from LL.

That said, I have received excellent in-world service from LL support on a number of occasions, suggesting that individual LL employees DO provide good customer support, when this badly broken system allows them to do their jobs.

You have voiced concerns that have reappeared an numerous occasions.  There will be naysayers who cry "entitlement" or worse.  'twas ever thus.

• Thanks 1

But you shouldn't lump them all together because there are also very committed Lindens who really work for the user and i would like to bring them in front of the curtain. Above all, TJ Linden , who is hard to beat in terms of expertise, especially when it comes to Region issues, and whom we trust for over a decade. Followed by Derrick Linden , Kat Linden (even if she is no longer active but in a very good memory), Rider Linden , Brett Linden , Theresa Linden , Vix Linden , Gordon Linden , Whitney Linden , Bugsly Linden and a few more that really helped us whenever we had problems with a helping hand. My wife and I would like to thank you all.

Edited by Miller Thor

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1603 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.