Looking for an Asian skin and shape (new here as well so i might get terms wrong.)

CosmicKat2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1005 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

A 2017-4-27 Strawberry post reviewing a Genesis Lab head says "Since the head comes skin-less you need to purchase some skin appliers for it." That explains the white mannequin head I'm sporting. Weird though - the other heads I've bought have come with some sort of skin to start you off. The weird thing is that I DID purchase the Fei skin applier... but still look like a skull.

Weird that the Molly demo looked nice. The real Molly head, even after redelivery, is uncooperative.

The Fei skin applier colors my body's skin, and shapes the eyes of the Molly head, but applies no skin to the head.
Looks like maybe Molly and Fei are not compatible. There is a Molly skin-applier, but there's no way I'm dropping another L500 to experiment with that. Besides, it doesn't include the Fei shape I like.

The weird thing is that the Genesis "Lara" head being given away to their group DOES work for me, like the Molly demo did. I suppose that like most other heads, the Lara and the Molly demo came preinstalled with a starter skin.

Genesis Labs haven't replied to my notecard query (maybe on holiday, who knows) so I've looked around on the forum and found other people that had Genesis Labs issues. After looking at one of the posts I wondered if the Omega applier might work, despite it being only for make-up. I went to the Omega inworld store to save the MP premium, and coughed up another L99. I wore the Genesis Omega-friendly head and the Omega Genesis applier, held my breath, and wore the Fei skin applier.

Nothing.

Expected, but ****.

Omega's page says "Skin Info: For most heads, this is still a Makeup only kit. You still need Genesis Skin appliers for the skin layer. HOWEVER, this is changing! Genesis is in the process of adding Skin support to ALL their heads. How long this will take, who knows, but we’ll keep this updated."

Yup, "who knows."

I wonder why Genesis Labs doesn't include an instructions notecard with their products? Maybe they're so busy writing that that they can't reply to inquiries. "Who knows?"

All my excitement at trying a new head has crashed and burned this time. The frustration I'm feeling with Genesis Labs is only compounded by a HUD with fewer options than either Lelutka or Catwa, and again by the lack of any response from Genesis Labs. I'm going to wear another head that actually works, and drop Genesis Labs Molly head, Fei skin, and Omega Genesis applier into my anger box.

Genesis Labs Molly Head: L2000
Genesis Labs Fei Skin Applier: L500
Omega Genesis applier: L99
Wasted: L2599, plus time, plus ******* mood, plus food, booze, and greenery to relax me while I tried to figure this **** out. 

In regards to the thread topic, I'd like to recommend one more store that I had forgotten about: Boheme Skins. They came across my flickr feed of people I follow and I got reminded of them. >< there isn't a huge selection of 'Asian' from this maker, but def one to look out for since they're at least making some. Here's an example of one of their finished Asian looking skins:

ZUZU Genus Skin (BOM) Out Now! @ Boheme Skins

And this is the latest Flickr entree and kiiiinda reminded me of you for whatever reason, @Alyona Su. It's a WIP at the moment, but I still wanted to bring it to your attention. C= from my understanding, all parts of her skins are BOM.

"FeiFei" Genus Skin (BOM) WIP

• Like 1

1 hour ago, momomoonusagi said:

In regards to the thread topic, I'd like to recommend one more store that I had forgotten about: Boheme Skins.

And this is the latest Flickr entree and kiiiinda reminded me of you for whatever reason, @Alyona Su. It's a WIP at the moment, but I still wanted to bring it to your attention. C= from my understanding, all parts of her skins are BOM.

This is really important to me, thank you! I'll definitely have a look-see at them. Right now I'm still using one of the newest from Sessions, but also using the blush-remover and Monolid freebies fro. Deetalez, which works well (95% perfect) - only a very slide shade difference but the blending is well enough that's not noticeable to those who know know what I'm doing. LOL

Thank you for the heads-up!

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

On 1/7/2020 at 7:20 AM, momomoonusagi said:

Here's a couple of skins for suggestion (these are both for Genus):

NEW RELEASE @TRES BEAU

And this maker has a few other 'Asian' skins. I think even a few for Catwa heads if you decide Genus isn't your thing.

Yes I have been trying those right now with my Asian alt. Good for a Korea look with larger eyes / fuller lips than most Chinese. While my ancestry is Chinese I've spent half my life in the Korea community both in Korea and the USA so... I'm more acclimated to their look than my own.

The Catwa ones actually look pretty good with the avatar I posted earlier - except that store doesn't make a body skin, and the store that does make the body skin for them paints on a panty tan-line on all their tones that is very strongly present:

c5416833c7ae7876994030169de5793a.png

- that's the tone that shows it the LEAST among those that are matches to the Tres  Beau head skins.

My images above suffered a lot from using a Pink Fuel skin that didn't fit so well, and the second image an older skin that (I went looking) is no longer sold. I do need to tone down the size of my eyes a little if I want less cartoonish - but a LOT of that shot was driven by the skin, the hair I had on at the time, and that my head was doing an particular one of the Catwa HUD's expressions at the time.

I wish the 'S.E.' shop Tres Beau relied on had a skin tone without a tanline... because those faces are great to the point of reminding me of family members.

EDIT: Also worth noting that the product image above is... somewhat notably photoshopped, or perhaps rendered in Daz3D.

58c67200a18be772f6740cf2350111d3.png

- Same head, skin, and using the included shape. There's potential there, but it's also a different visual.

A lot of the product images in the thread look like photoshop / Daz rather than SL...

Edited by Pussycat Catnap

On 1/10/2020 at 12:09 PM, momomoonusagi said:

In regards to the thread topic, I'd like to recommend one more store that I had forgotten about: Boheme Skins.

I went. I saw. I bought. I cannot recommend Boheme at all because there are no demos to check shades other than tiny swatch on a table (which turns out to NOT be very accurate *at all*.) So I decided to buy the body skin first because it's inexpensive and have a look-see at the detail and quality.

Um, no. No matter the shade, the belly area is light, almost white. You look like a Panda. Secondly, there is a *very* dark groin shadow added (where inner thigh meets vulva) and it is jarringly dark, and it doesn't even come close to where that is on the mesh on body, so it looks like you have racing stripes down one's pelvic bump. Seriously?

I can post a picture or two to my Flickr if anyone wants to see how bad this is.

I purchased in-world so I cannot warn others at Marketplace, thus this comment will have to do: The face is beautiful, but the body is the polar opposite.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

*sad panda talk*

I actually had a similar experience and conclusion yesterday. >< I got curious about the skins because I really want BOM for my head, so I finally went myself to the store and bought the body, and a head skin even, because I thought the body image displays looked good and, well, pretty Flickr pictures. =w=.

(Also, I play that high risk game of 'rarely demoing', with everything just cause I'm silly and I just hate the demo process. ><)

But I was extremely disappointed in the body skin as well. >< I was a bit mad when I had opened the package and saw that there wasnt an actual skin for the 'chubby' version that I wanted to use and instead it was a tat add on, that was alright. It was essentially a wider belly button of a black hole, tbh. ._. But making it a tat attachment was kinda lazy to me. ><

It was disappointing, given the faces, for the quality to be lacking in the bodies. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Stuff. ♡

I see whatcha mean about the tan lines thing. I don't personally mind them myself, but I can see where they may be annoying to others. >< they are gorgeous skins tho, but I don't see them updating the design anytime soon--i could be wrong tho!

They had a body update I think...about a year ago? Or near there, and the ones available now are the result. I imagine if they do anything new with the bodies it's to offer BOM versions.

But it is annoying that the face skins aren't in the Studio Exposure store anymore. They all use to be in the same place and it made it easier to shop. >×<

I guess all these makers are just trying to make us work for our beauty. -.-

In regards to the shape+skin photo, I can see where the eyes are a little off from the display. I don't always use the default shape myself, and I'm sure I personally tweaked the shape when I got all of it anyway. Head shapes are less annoying to me to fix than my body shape when I buy new personalizations. =×=

Quality, tho, I never thought it suffered, at least when I manipulated my windlights. >w<

6 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

I went. I saw. I bought. I cannot recommend Boheme at all because there are no demos to check shades other than tiny swatch on a table (which turns out to NOT be very accurate *at all*. So I decided to buy the body skin first because it's inexpensive and have a look-see at the detail and quality.

Um, no. No matter the shade, the belly area is light, almost white. You look lie a Panda. Secondly, there is a &very* dar groin shadow added

I was angsting over that same issue yesterday. Thank you for 'taking one for the team'...

That's how I felt about the body skins from the other shop - too extreme a contrast in the groin area. BELOW where I showed it suddenly got extremely dark.

As noted above by @momomoonusagi they had a body update. The OLD skins are actually better - but not compatible with current faces and all old faces have been retired... you can get a demo of an old skin on MP... of only one tone...

I then tried 'skinnery' but they have only BOM and Omega...

Their new BOM body skin... is misaligned. My belly button was located out of place and stretched vertically to the point where it looked like a second genital area painted there...

The Omega one was better - it's older, I don't know how long they will keep it... but it looked kind of 'duller'.

That has me returning back to Pink Fuel, and shape dials... and seeing what I can do with some other tones... The tone in my shots on page one was their 'Hazelnut' and that might work for a Rural Korean (Koreans tan extremely darkly. To an almost 'red-brown' like seen on Native Americans. Go somewhere like Cheju-Do and they look like a different ethnicity until you get one to spend a year in Seoul in an office :P) or South East Asian... (maybe too light for a Rural Korean). So I'm demoing some lighter tones for a 'City Korean' since that's what people are more used to 'globally'.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap

4 hours ago, momomoonusagi said:

It was disappointing, given the faces, for the quality to be lacking in the bodies. 

This is going to be a problem for any shop setup where one shop is doing the body and another the head... arguably it's the same issue we face with the mesh parts... quality will not be the same.

1 hour ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

This is going to be a problem for any shop setup where one shop is doing the body and another the head... arguably it's the same issue we face with the mesh parts... quality will not be the same.

I agree that there could be issues with two separate makers creating two different parts of the same skin, but in regards to Studio Exposure (the skin makers for Tres Beau head skins), I don't personally see any differences in the two parts.  ^^; I think the two align near perfectly, at least just as perfectly as singular makers who create both the head and body skin themselves. Windlights often play a big role in how the over all appearance of a skin looks, tho.

The quote you quoted me just now:

5 hours ago, momomoonusagi said:

Was in regards to the Boheme skins Aloyna Su had mentioned trying. The creator makes both the body and the head skin, but the body skin was a bit lacking in good and interesting detail as opposed the head skin.

So, always on the lookout for a good Asian face in skin and also is BOM (!) I am finding it near impossible. So I took one I already have and tweaked it for my own tastes and thus will never sell it or give it away. I say all that so I can say this:

As I was surfing the MP for full permissions textures (to create some awesome high-resolution system-layer outfits for my BOM use) I ran across full-permissions skins. Not the actual skins, of course (too many of those may be ripped (copy-bot) and that's not right) - but in this case I know it's the original creator because what I am buying is the layered Photoshop files. So I looked at a couple demos (Always awesome when a creator believe in their product that way) and there is one that I fell in love with, though still needs some work (I use Affinity Photo, which makes this task easier than it would be in Photoshop!)

Just I'm just saying that I will have a new BOM-only (or classic avatar) system-layer Asian skin ready in the next couple days. Perhaps it may interest the OP (Unlikely as @CosmicKat2 has only the one post and has vanished).

I'll post pictures here when I have it ready - and I'll have a demo up at MP also. Because no demo = NO SALE!!!  LOL

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

So I looked at a couple demos (Always awesome when a creator believe in their product that way) and there is one that I fell in love with, though still needs some work (I use Affinity Photo, which makes this task easier than it would be in Photoshop!)

So what is the brand of this psd kit?

7 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

So what is the brand of this psd kit?

The brand is Lu*Li Skin - they have four Full perm PSD faces for sale. Though I did a lot of "clean-up" - and I don't mean "fixing", it's excellent as-is, but I wanted to "clean-up" portions of the face (mostly the eyes) and I had to remove the eyebrows because they aren't a layer (so that brows can be added by the mesh head HUD, or via tintable tattoo) - and definitely had to clean-up the "girl bits" because, though what is there is *mostly* acceptable, I still don't like lit. LOL I also removed the finger and toenails so it will work on mesh bodies better.

As for skins, the included skins for Maitreya and Legacy get the girl bits right in my not-so-humble opinion.

I just spent L$1000 just in image-uploading costs this morning LOL I'll start assembling them this afternoon or tomorrow. My intention will be to include modifiable make-up and eyebrows that can be tinted and a couple system-layer outfits to go with it. It will have five tones - each with three different "breast sizes" - I'm thinking to double the number of tones to add more "pink" into each shade as well. But just pondering that idea.

Done it! New Asian skin "Xiaohua". The package also includes a bunch of makeups and additional layers like freckles, and moles and three different breast-cleavage sizes. I'm not allowed to advertise in forums. So I can only suggest if you want the demo, etc., you can search MP for the skin name.

Xiaohua_Skin_A.jpg?1579297493

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 1/6/2020 at 4:21 PM, Alyona Su said:

Which nationality of Asian do you want? In RL we can often make a good guess by facial features alone, whether Korean, Japanese, Chinese, South-Asian and so on. As @Gwin LeShelle suggests, the Genus is the best all-around head for a good asian look. This is a picture on me Genus Classic with Sessions "Akira" (Asian face) skin:

Feng Shui 01

This ones also GENUS BABY-FACE head, with Session *non-asian* face BOM skin:

Genus Classic-Session

If you want a more "pure" Asian look, this is with my Genesis Lena head and the Genesis FEI skin (which leans Chinese) - Ironically, it's still my favorite look:

Tatakaka Native

There also is a great Japanese-leaning face there at Genesis as well (and YES< they do look different and very accurate in terms of features, including the flatter face profile that is near impossible with all other heads.) Most facial AO work great with Genesis and Genus head, including Chrysanthemum and Vista facial AO - for Chrysanthemum, just choose "Catwa" version.

The most important thing to do is DEMO HEADS, DEMO SKINS. Don;t rush it, spend a day and grab all you can find, then spend another day and try on all demos. Take snapshots from the front, profile, and 2/4 views - of each and every one. Then, by a process of elimination, whittle your choices down to  combination. :)

EDIT to add: I've also just conformed: The Vista Facial AO for GENUS works great on Genesis head. And I checked their store this morning, they also have System Layer version os their body skins, so you can use Bakes on mesh for your body. It is enough that I put my Feinsteins Genesis head back on. :D

Alyona what head/skin/shape combination did you use in this lower headshot with the feathers in the hair if it is ok for me to ask?

On 1/5/2020 at 5:37 PM, Pussycat Catnap said:

This is Amelia Bronze:

3266ddfc663234b95d2866e65c64a05a.jpg

46f054da5ae5fb8c2d91ab61e4d0ef6b.jpg

Not sure if it's still sold in SL. It was from "stephanie fishnet". It was my old choice.

This, what I use now; is Pink Fuel's Hazel skin and 'Minji' head skin:

9bb7e94800747f7f381268814421a514.jpg

7ba8c80d5ca23a3ed834d4a1432bf9ec.jpg

f34c66c4c7cd00dd1b6a590ddaee3a5f.jpg

The head is Catwa's Kittia which allows for the larger eyes, fuller lips, and broader nose many Asians have.

The shape is my own adjusting of the dials.

Pretty comical eyes, but close to Southeast Asian (which is what I am)...except for the eyes 😆I like the nose though. Nice nose 😊

Edited by Pris Aquila
Wanted to add something

On 1/5/2020 at 2:50 PM, CosmicKat2 said:

So I'm looking for an Asian female avatar shape or skin well both really that does not look super anime. 

I'm sort of in the same boat, old resident, but took a long break. Now I see there's mesh bodies and heads that is all brand new to me. Looking to update from "classic system" avatar.

It's sad what non-Asians think Asians look like. I guess most people in this thread are still stuck in the pre-2000 days where Disney's Mulan is supposed to represent what Asians, especially East Asians, look like.

As an Asian myself I can say only one image in this entire thread even remotely resembles what regular, somewhat pretty, Asian females look like. Go google some pretty Asian women from the 21st century, it's not that hard, especially if you're after a C/K/J-pop or movie star kind of "artificial" look.

• Like 1

It depends what look your going for.  But, i really like MUDSKIN and RITUAL for Asian skins.  TOKYO GIRL also has 'Asian skins' in her shop...  It may be worth a look just to see.  Those are the only ones I have first hand experience with.  I think if i had to pick...  MUDSKIN would be my fav...  but ...  those skins do have a very ' young' look.

helloooo

i made new account to try realistic asian look on this avatar but i learned it is very difficult to do in  second life because no mesh head s or skin is offering mono eyelid i tried a lot and searched alot and have not find much! but on flickr i saw one girl now

49939753742_018602e2ed.jpg

49981921418_346a3aab90.jpg

how to find out what head she is wearing and whats skins name.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1005 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.