Low FPS Good System.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1582 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Basically as the title says, I'm playing SL in 4k with some sims around 12 fps other sims that are less populated and a bit more empty with naturally higher fps @ around 60ish+ all of which on Ultra. The one setting causing all the ruckus is the Advanced Lighting Model which literally takes my frames from 130+ to the above mentioned. I know this game is poorly optimized but here's the system specs and before asked, I already went through the Nvidia Panel and forced / enhanced SL settings both for quality and performance and saw barely any flux in fps for the game. 

CPU: I9 9900K @ 5.2ghz 

MB: MSI Godlike MEG

Ram: 16GB TritonZ @ 3khz

GPU: Asus Strix 1080 (Stock Overclock)

Drive: 970 Samsung EVO PCIE SSD (Which SL is On) and a secondary mechanical 3TB Drive.

Can't think of anything else that might be relevant to the discussion but if I missed something please be sure to contact me. I could play with advanced lighting off but I feel like with the rig I have it's really a waste not to be able to play the game at it's fullest. I know the game is poorly optimized once again and I also know that SL is more CPU heavy than GPU heavy, my 1080 is being utilized about 30% with a little flux here and there.

You can tweak as much as you want in the nvidia control panel since the way SL renders graphics causes the CPU being the bottleneck. If you run a tool like GPU-Z, you will see the GPU is pretty much idle. Worst offenders in terms of performance are the calculations involded rendering avatars and all the rigged meshes, since SL does of course NOT make use of the computing power of the GPU and uses the CPU for that instead. That's why you see terrible performance in places with many avatars around - running it 4K making it worse since you might end up having to render even more avatars that are in sight, but is actually bad because of all the unoptimized content and the hundreds of 1024x1024 textures "professional" creators have to slap on every face of their creations, leading to constant swapping out and rescaling of textures.

• Like 1

Sl isn't really a 4k game #1. But SL isn't like other computer "games" where hardware makes or breaks FPS. Alot goes on on a sim that determines FPS beyond your control. The amount avies, their complexity, the textures, alphas, etc..etc... and of course the sim itself, some run well, others don't some need a restart .. al that stuff. As far as the nvidia control panel, most of the options there are for quality of image not performance. there are only a couple tweaks there to maximize performance , even then its questionable if it makes a noticeable difference

Your machine will have no problems with SL when all the conditions are good. Also, try not to obsess with FPS.. if with all the windlights on and shadows and you can still walk around fine, actual FPS don't really matter 

9 hours ago, Jackson Redstar said:

Alot goes on on a sim that determines FPS beyond your control. The amount avies, their complexity, the textures, alphas, etc..etc... and of course the sim itself, some run well, others don't some need a restart .. al that stuff.

Poor sim performance won't have even a little bit of an effect on FPS.

Things like the number of avatars / textures / etc is not something you can control in other games either, but it's true that the problem is much bigger here than anywhere else.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

On 12/20/2019 at 7:41 PM, TVTuner said:

Are they calling avatars sims?  Are they calling regions sims?  I ask because we cannot see the simulators.  😉

This one and another comment of yours in another thread lead to think you're a former Linden... How does posting a employee review on glassdoor feels like? 😉😁

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1582 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.