I really apologize for posting this, but...I hate life.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1623 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Not even close. Just because you get hurt doesn't mean you develop clinical depression.. You don't just develop that, its a chemical imbalance in your brain. You are born with it. You may get sad if you get hurt, but you dont get clinical depression. 

16 minutes ago, JanuarySwan said:

Are you a doctor or a clinician?  Because, it is possible to develop any illness at any time in one's life as far as I know.  I'm not sure if it's all inborn or not.  

While Drake is QUITE capable of answering this, I will add this. You want doctors' words? How about the Mayo Clinic? Is that good enough for you? Drake's comments about clinical depression are correct.  As to the causes...

Yay, we're happy that exercise fixed what ailed ya. It could have contributed to a lessening of situational depression. As to the rest of the discussion, you are out of your league.

clinical depression.JPG

cause clinical depression.JPG

Edited by Seicher Rae
frikkin grammar
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Mental illnesses are not like other illnesses.. YOu are born with them. No, i am not a doctor, Therapist or psychologist,  but i have spoken to literally hundreds of them. They have all said that mental illness is a born with illness. You wont suddenly develop ADHD when you are 60. Clinical depression can be detected in children as young as 5. It is a chemical imbalance in the brain. Hitting the gym wont fix it. 

I'll have to ask my own doctor about that.  

And, it's a chemical and hormonal imbalance.  

But, I will ask him.  

Edited by JanuarySwan

There is situational depression and there is clinical depression. Both can be severe. Because of the biological components of clinical depression at this time there is no cure, although symptoms can be greatly relieved or seem to be in remission. Situational depression is different. PTSD is acquired. 

Edited by Seicher Rae
because I can no longer write a sentence without a mistake
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Waiting for the anti-vaxxers to show up here . . .

Would you slap me if I told you I'm an anti (very few, but there are some) and selective vaxxer? 

I guess the question should be...would it actually surprise anyone to know that? lol  (I would guess no..but, who knows, lol)

If it helps any...it is because of my work with the CDC,  and medical/scientific research , that I am very much anti-certain vaccines (again, a very limited number of them, and it might take me ten more pages to explain why, but they are limited to what their current form(s) present us with, not necessarily their entirety), and very selective with others. But..that's a whole different debate I don't think these forums are prepared for, lol. 

I think I need to qualify this, lol. I am a medical guinea pig, I have been all my life. My children are also medical guinea pigs. We carry specific genetic traits and genetic markers that make us perfect candidates for certain medical research. We, along with countless others, are the very reason medical research has come as far as it has. That's not tooting my own horn, it's not always fun, it's definitely not always pleasant and sometimes it presents us  (humans) with other problems. But guinea pigs like us exist to rid the world of quacks doling out terrible medical advice :D 

Science is amazing :D 

Edited by Tari Landar

3 minutes ago, Tari Landar said:

Would you slap me if I told you I'm an anti (very few, but there are some) and selective vaxxer? 

I guess the question should be...would it actually surprise anyone to know that? lol  (I would guess no..but, who knows, lol)

If it helps any...it is because of my work with the CDC,  and medical/scientific research, that I am very much anti-certain vaccines (again, a very limited number of them, and it might take me ten more pages to explain why, but they are limited to what their current form(s) present us with, not necessarily their entirety), and very selective with others. But..that's a whole different debate I don't think these forums are prepared for, lol. 

Oh, I almost never slap people, Tari!

Being sceptical, in a knowledgeable and scientifically-informed way, about any medical procedure, medication, or vaccine is quite one thing . . . being stupidly and willfully ignorant about an entire branch of medicine that has been proven to be effective, and has all but wiped out entire diseases that used to kill extensively, is quite another.

I generally believe in science. But a blind faith in anything is never a good thing. And medicine and scientific research aren't static: they are, or should, always be responding to new evidence.

So, you're good!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Mental illnesses are not like other illnesses.. YOu are born with them. No, i am not a doctor, Therapist or psychologist,  but i have spoken to literally hundreds of them. They have all said that mental illness is a born with illness. You wont suddenly develop ADHD when you are 60. Clinical depression can be detected in children as young as 5. It is a chemical imbalance in the brain. Hitting the gym wont fix it. 

I respectfully disagree with this.
While some mental illnesses are likely present from birth (nature), others are caused by life events (nurture).
There are thousands of academic studies examining nature vs nurture in mental illness.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Tari Landar said:

If it helps any...it is because of my work with the CDC,  and medical/scientific research, that I am very much anti-certain vaccines (again, a very limited number of them, and it might take me ten more pages to explain why, but they are limited to what their current form(s) present us with, not necessarily their entirety), and very selective with others. But..that's a whole different debate I don't think these forums are prepared for, lol. 

You have to live your life first for yourself.  

Though I believe if there is a vaccine that works it should be available to all regardless of income level...but for minors I really can't say what to do if a parent disagrees.  

Just now, JanuarySwan said:

You have to live your life first for yourself.  

Though I believe if there is a vaccine that works it should be available to all regardless of income level...but for minors I really can't say what to do if a parent disagrees.  

I have no idea how to respond to that. So I shan't :D

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I wonder if exercise can cure this...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3210598/

Yes, it can be addicting as can sex and even SL.

It's when something destroys taking care of your day to day needs and/or personal relationships...then perhaps it's an issue.  

Edited by JanuarySwan
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

While some mental illnesses are likely present from birth (nature), others are caused by life events (nurture).
There are thousands of academic studies examining nature vs nurture in mental illness.

I would have to agree with you there, at one point in time I thought they were all acquired at birth. But now I better understand, since my dad passed away 4 months ago. That they can be sudden onset too.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Yes, while Drake has been offering up a lot of needed information, care has to be given about using the across the board "all" brush. Mental illnesses, like other illnesses, are wide, varied and complicated. Personally I have clinical depression (MDD) and situational depression and seasonal affective disorder (SAD). I have anxiety, which may or may not be part of the MDD. I have PTSD, which stemmed from a situation many decades ago, was mainly under controlled, and then got piled upon again. My situational depression may leave (please god). The PTSD may once again subside. The anxiety? Not sure. MDD is for life but won't necessarily be so difficult. While all of this is anecdotal, it points to the varying nature of at least some mental illnesses.

Edited by Seicher Rae
I blame the drugs
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

My lifelong carefree mother now exhibits significant OCD as the result of a stroke last year. Even more alarmingly, she's become a republican!

Drugs, alcohol, repetitive activity and other things we do can affect brain chemistry. If the effect persists long enough, the brain's structures can change in response, permanently. To the extent such changes bring us or others harm, they are illnesses.

Research into epigenetics is revealing fascinating things. While epigenetic changes in human DNA are necessary for the cell differentiation that allows stem cells to become any of countless specialized cells (bone, skin, eye, etc) required to construct a human, there are other factors that can force undesirable epigenetic changes. Evolution worked out a "reset" mechanism that allows differentiated human cells to produce new stem cells (egg and sperm) suitable for the construction, from scratch, of offspring. But, that reset mechanism, like everything else evolution produces, isn't perfect. As a result, we can experience potentially harmful epigenetic changes as a result of our environments and our life choices that can actually be passed on to our offspring.

We can now imagine that an ancestor's lifestyle choices might effect successive generations in a commingling of nature and nurture that's virtually impossible to fully understand.

Gotta love it.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

My lifelong carefree mother now exhibits significant OCD as the result of a stroke last year. Even more alarmingly, she's become a republican!

Research into epigenetics is revealing fascinating things. ...

I'm sorry to hear of your mother's stroke and resultant changes. Republican? Good lord. I wonder if there is medication for that. Exercise? I wonder if some mass, cataclysmic stroke-inducing event went under the radar in 2016 which would explain all sorts of, dare I say it (I do) mass craziness in the land(s).

Epigenetics is my new favorite word for the day.

38 minutes ago, Tari Landar said:

When we know better, we do better, that's precisely the reason we are all alive here today, because few things in life are really static, we are always learning, we are always improving, we are forever changing. Life, everything that we know about it, itself is dynamic, which means most, damn near all, components of it are dynamic as well.

This is called higher ignorance or useful ignorance. We know we know some stuff, but in reality, in the vast universe of all knowledge and ever-changing knowledge, we really don't know much of anything. 

Never stop learning. 

And I have mixed feelings about Neil, but... 

7027-Neil-deGrasse-Tyson-Quote-The-good-thing-about-science-is-that-it.thumb.jpg.4deb9e2fde48415ac189c24a7260b8d5.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

This is called higher ignorance or useful ignorance. We know we know some stuff, but in reality, in the vast universe of all knowledge and ever-changing knowledge, we really don't know much of anything. 

Never stop learning. 

7027-Neil-deGrasse-Tyson-Quote-The-good-thing-about-science-is-that-it.thumb.jpg.4deb9e2fde48415ac189c24a7260b8d5.jpg

This is precisely why I love science, learning, and such so very much. Everything you think you know could change at a moment's notice-and that's precisely how things should be. Certainties make people complacent and complacency is the enemy of progress, or life, really. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Never stop learning. 

Similarly, and while we're quoting, this is my favorite quote. I thought it was attributable to Vaclav Havel but have since heard there is some discussion about where it originated. No matter, still words to live by (and one reason my avatar is called Seeker):

Keep the company of those who seek the truth — run from those who have found it.

• Like 2

I did not mean to imply that exercise is a cure all...I simply mentioned Jack LaLanne because he overcame a mental illness through diet and exercise.  Though this seems one of the healthiest things he could have done for bulimia.  Perhaps a better word is he managed his bulimia through diet and exercise.

Joseph Pilates has helped countless thousands through his mind/body techniques some of which are adapted in today's modern physical therapy.  However, I did not mean it as generalized for one and all.   

There is also the chronic pain sufferer who may have associated depression.  Often the two are occurring at the same time and it is not known what came first - the depression or the chronic pain....and some doctors cannot even answer this.   This leaves a lot of gray areas in science.  

What is causing the chemical and hormonal imbalances are a myriad of things that it often takes a whole team to get a patient on the road to regaining a sense of good health.  

Sorry I do not express myself well.

I wish the OP feels better and let your doctor know how you are feeling and what is their best advice.  

Edited by JanuarySwan

I just wanna say, life can sometimes be crazy and not the best.

My only piece of advice is, is to keep your chin up and try to get through it! Just don't go through the motions.

Also, find something you wish to focus your energy on, whether it be a hobby or taking care of a plant; just find something to divert yourself to.

I wish you all the best of luck. <3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1623 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.