I really apologize for posting this, but...I hate life.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1628 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

@miaminightmare Yeah, the whole so-called safety net system in the U.S.A. is borked. The amount of aid out there is minimal and under the current political winds it has become even more of a war on the poor instead of a war on poverty. Mental health care is pretty bad in most countries (as far as I can tell) even the ones with decent physical health care. It definitely takes the back seat to the physical, and I think so much of that is because of the stigmas and the stigmas are there in part because you can't point to a mental issue like you can to a broken toe. That and the still vast amounts of misinformation and ignorant people.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, halebore Aeon said:

This has nothing to do with Advanced Directives, DNRs and or force feeding or tube feeding someone. We are not talking about palliative care here, we are talking about mental health and stuff that is associated with it. Get with the program please. You keep on going off the beaten path, and talking about things that have nothing to do with the subject. Pain Management does not treat Mental Illness, nor does talking about right to refuse service in the sense of palliative care. That is more for people with terminal illnesses, not mental illnesses. Just please stop talking, you are now just doing my head in.

You can use the ignore button.

I brought it up because a right to choose or not choose a modality may not be possible for someone who is considered "gravely disabled".  Gravely disabled is not always terminal...it can involve depression also....but that may be a very rare circumstance.    

Okay, I will stop talking.  I just had to go through some of the thread and clear a few things up.  

7 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Well both are medications to help cope.  I still have pain killers but they are prn (on an as needed basis) should I need it.  My doctor is not going to leave me there suffering should an intense episode of pain occur...so I have pain killers prn but not routine anymore.

And, I was talking about the OP having Seasonal Depression and thought there was a suggestion that the OP needed medication and had a mental illness.  Only a doctor can know that.

7 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Also the anti-depressants increase the chemicals and hormones that exercise also releases.  So exercise is very important.  If you can't do it, you can't do it.  I couldn't for a long time either.  I thought phooey exercise is bogus and pretty much refused to do it for a long, long time.  

I was tried on several anti-depressants for Seasonal Depression and I felt like a Zombie or like I was put on speed.  I do not have a good reaction to them.  I had suicidal ideation as well so I no longer take anti-depressants.   

This thread is literally about depression, to which I put it in the second paragraph you put there. Not about pain management, which has nothing to do with mental illness. Then you went on about the law in California about the right to refuse treatment. Yes, but that has to do with terminal illnesses. Let's use my dad as an example, he had stage 4 lung cancer. Basically it was inevitable that he was gonna die. Right to refuse treatment has to do with that, and more so with Palliative care. Then it has to do with mental illness. If you are basically forced into a hospital, due to mental illness. You literally have to do what they say, and take your meds and eat your food. Never been in one, hope I never have to. But seriously,  then you went on about Advanced Directive, which you are right includes DNR and the right to refuse to be fed or hydrated. But again, that has to do with palliative care. Like you have not stayed on topic, you are comparing terminal illness, and pain management, to that of Mental Illness. And not so eloquently I might add. Why won't you understand?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, halebore Aeon said:

This thread is literally about depression, to which I put it in the second paragraph you put there. Not about pain management, which has nothing to do with mental illness. Then you went on about the law in California about the right to refuse treatment. Yes, but that has to do with terminal illnesses. Let's use my dad as an example, he had stage 4 lung cancer. Basically it was inevitable that he was gonna die. Right to refuse treatment has to do with that, and more so with Palliative care. Then it has to do with mental illness. If you are basically forced into a hospital, due to mental illness. You literally have to do what they say, and take your meds and eat your food. Never been in one, hope I never have to. But seriously,  then you went on about Advanced Directive, which you are right includes DNR and the right to refuse to be fed or hydrated. But again, that has to do with palliative care. Like you have not stayed on topic, you are comparing terminal illness, and pain management, to that of Mental Illness. And not so eloquently I might add. Why won't you understand?

I brought it up because I was saying I am not a person who believes in NO medication.    

I have a right to speak and you have a right to use the ignore feature.  

And, the right to refuse has to do with all modalities including those for mental illness or any illness now in the State of California.  The laws have changed.  

Laws in California:

Right to Refuse Treatment Voluntary Patients You can refuse any type of medical or mental health treatment, including medications; unless the situation is an emergency (see the “Definitions” section of this handbook for emergency treatment). Involuntary Patients You have the right to refuse medical treatment or treatment with medications (except in an emergency) unless a capacity hearing is held and a hearing officer or a judge finds that you do not have the capacity to consent to or refuse treatment. 

Edited by FairreLilette

Just now, FairreLilette said:

I brought it up because I was saying I am not a person who believes in NO medication.    

I have a right to speak and you have a right to use the ignore feature.  

But we heard you a million times, like seriously. I am all about doing what is best for the person, in a certain way too. But you don't see me totally going off trail about it. I am gonna say this though, read what people were saying. No one was saying, oh you need to get on meds. People were offering other solutions for the OPs issue. I think most people were all under the same ideologue to use meds as a last resort. Nor did the OP be say anything about having sad, he said it was a possibility that he could have it. That is not directly saying, I have it. Please try to actually read and comprehend what people are saying better. This has become a total clusterfudge, because A, you seem like you don't comprehend what anyone is saying. And B. You seem to want to compare Terminal and Physical Illness to Mental Illness. They are two totally different sides of the coin.  It would be like me going off on this new bill that passed in Canada, about Medical Assistance In Death. Which allows for terminally Ill Patients to choose to be Euthanized. But I never brought that up during our conversations. Because it has nothing to do with mental illness. That is basically what you did, you went on a topic that has nothing to do with the subject at hand. And Gravely Disabled  a condition in which a person, as a result of a mental disorder: (1) is in danger of serious physical harm resulting from a failure to provide for his or her essential human needs of health or safety. They are not terminally ill, they just gave up on life and need a bit of extra care and help to get them back on their feet. But no, you went on about Advanced Directive, so basically we just let him die, and not try to help the person who is going through it. That is a great solution. Let's just off the seriously mentally ill person, because he needs lots of help. Less work for the state of California right. 

• Like 1

There I was, on a cold but bright day in late autumn, wearing nothing but my bathing suit, lying on a pile of kangaroo skins and engulfed in plumes of smouldering leaves from a peppermint tree by the banks of a sacred river.

Kwoorabup has been a place of ceremony for thousands of years.

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20190929-a-60000-year-old-cure-for-depression

• Like 1

2 hours ago, miaminightmare said:

My ex has DID.  Mostly his alters are fictives.

One of my best friends ever has/had DID...haven't talked to her in a year or so...but she had a fictive. She is a therapist and was president of the Unitarian Church...very functional.

3 hours ago, FairreLilette said:
4 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Mental illness, at its base, really just means a person is having trouble coping with life due to a variety of reasons.

Okay, taking just this statement.  I've never heard that before.  However, with Seasonal Depression what I was having difficulty coping with was Seasonal Depression itself.

Well that's a simplified definition..."A mental disorder, also called a mental illness or psychiatric disorder, is a behavioral or mental pattern that causes significant distress or impairment of personal functioning. Such features may be persistent, relapsing and remitting, or occur as a single episode."

It's interesting to note that mental disorders are classified according to symptoms as opposed to what might cause the symptom.
So it doesn't matter whether the depression is caused by lack of light/Vitamin D, or abuse, or some kind of chemical imbalance -- it still falls under the umbrella of "depression" and so is presently considered a mental illness.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

There I was, on a cold but bright day in late autumn, wearing nothing but my bathing suit, lying on a pile of kangaroo skins and engulfed in plumes of smouldering leaves from a peppermint tree by the banks of a sacred river.

Kwoorabup has been a place of ceremony for thousands of years.

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20190929-a-60000-year-old-cure-for-depression

Interesting.

And I know there's one person I'd like to plunk down in some smouldering (possibly flaming) leaves, far far away from a keyboard.

6 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

One of my best friends ever has/had DID...haven't talked to her in a year or so...but she had a fictive. She is a therapist and was president of the Unitarian Church...very functional.

I used to read a blogger who has DID, a RL blog, only later did I learn he also was in SL. I have to admit that some of it was really confusing to wrap my head around. It is one of those things where you kind of have to experience it to understand it. Nonetheless, the blog was fascinating and I learned quite a bit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Well that's a simplified definition..."A mental disorder, also called a mental illness or psychiatric disorder, is a behavioral or mental pattern that causes significant distress or impairment of personal functioning. Such features may be persistent, relapsing and remitting, or occur as a single episode."

It's interesting to note that mental disorders are classified according to symptoms as opposed to what might cause the symptom.
So it doesn't matter whether the depression is caused by lack of light/Vitamin D, or abuse, or some kind of chemical imbalance -- it still falls under the umbrella of "depression" and so is presently considered a mental illness.

And to my knowledge it has to persist for 6 months or more, depending on the severity of it. It may have changed, since the last time i looked at the DSM. Lol

2 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

I used to read a blogger who has DID, a RL blog, only later did I learn he also was in SL. I have to admit that some of it was really confusing to wrap my head around. It is one of those things where you kind of have to experience it to understand it. Nonetheless, the blog was fascinating and I learned quite a bit.

Yes it is fascinating. I think the easiest way to understand it is to remember we all have parts within ourselves, but with DID there is loss of memory between those parts. And those parts are more defined too...take on a life of their own, often in the outside world.

• Like 1

Just now, Seicher Rae said:

I found some difficulty in trying to explain to my best friend after they met my ex, they didn't really understand it but were okay with it. The only issue I personally had was my social anxiety had me getting locked up around every alter I didn't know when they were in the drivers seat. Time helped, but yeah. There was one overly cheerful alter that downright terrified me when they interacted with me and I still can't explain why to this day outside of maybe my paranoia was just having a bigger head than usual.

I find it neat when you learn someone in RL is also in SL. Makes me feel more...? I don't know, we now have something else similar. I found it a pleasant surprise when I learned my long time F-list roleplay buddy was also actiive in SL. We were able to yip yap about all sorts of stuff.

• Like 1

Just now, Luna Bliss said:

Yes it is fascinating. I think the easiest way to understand it is to remember we all have parts within ourselves, but with DID there is loss of memory between those parts. And those parts are more defined too...take on a life of their own, often in the outside world.

Right, but then to add a SL avatar onto one or more of those identities? Ooof. But it seemed to work.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, halebore Aeon said:

And to my knowledge it has to persist for 6 months or more, depending on the severity of it. It may have changed, since the last time i looked at the DSM. Lol

Yes I don't think I remember how long the single episode must last...to fit the definition.

1 minute ago, Seicher Rae said:

Right, but then to add a SL avatar onto one or more of those identities? Ooof. But it seemed to work.

My ex was like that, in a way. His fictives had roleplay characters, and their own way of writing and stuff through them. The only issue I remember being was when his alters "went to sleep" for however long, their characters ended up rotting. Which was kind of sad.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

@Tari Landar Your "dragging a dead body..." image reminded me of this one:

lost in nature.JPG

Hahhahahaha. The body one is one of my favorite memes.

I have a tendency to tell people "I have hidden acreage" when they drive me up the wall enough.  I figure they can take it in whatever way they wish, I'll never tell them my intentions :D

(and it's not a lie..I do have acreage that's quite hidden in the most unsuspecting place) 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tari Landar said:

Hahhahahaha. The body one is one of my favorite memes.

I have a tendency to tell people "I have hidden acreage" when they drive me up the wall enough.  I figure they can take it in whatever way they wish, I'll never tell them my intentions :D

(and it's not a lie..I do have acreage that's quite hidden in the most unsuspecting place) 

I too have hidden acreage. It's just up in the sky above the parcel so you can't see it. MUWAHAHAHAA. 👀

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1628 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.