With BOM what will Happen to our OUTFITS

FairreLilette

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1666 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

With Bakes on Mesh, what will happen to our outfits?

Will it be, some things from the outfit will apply and others won't?

I guess that's probably what is going to happen.

I also wanted to say I could not get the BOM download to work this weekend.  My avatar would not move AND it had no body and I think there was a message about outfits or something but I could not reapply the body nor move, and it took over 15 minutes or more to even open the viewer, so I said I'd rather wait for Firestorm's BOM.  I don't have the time to wait 15 to 20 minutes just to open the viewer (initialize world).  

So, my first run of BOM was terrible!  

But, what's going on with outfits here?  No body and it would not apply.  

Edit:  And, when I closed the viewer and tried to open LL BOM on mesh viewer again it was well over 20 minutes waiting for INITIALIZE WORLD so I shut it down.

Edited by FairreLilette

Appliers and "Onion-Skin" mesh bodies will still be a round for a very long time. Bakes on Mesh will not really catch-on for another six months to a year, and even then it will just be another option for creating a look. I'm not so sure it will take-off the way Bento has because Bento is no-brainer easy: Just buy and use updated animation and wear the right mesh.

For BoM there is a oot more complication involved right now as people suffer the learning curve. When Creators have made using BoM as easy as using Bento then it will take off, except for the fact that unless a lot of old content is updated, many may not be willing to discard what already is a very heavy investment into the "current technologies" - only those willing to reinvest, because unlike Bento animations that can be mixed and matched, BoM cannot be mixed and match with non-BoM.

BoM, at this point, is an all-or-nothing decision.

1 hour ago, FairreLilette said:

With Bakes on Mesh, what will happen to our outfits?

Will it be, some things from the outfit will apply and others won't?

I guess that's probably what is going to happen.

Nothing at all will happen to your existing outfits. Outfits don't actively "apply" anything with the current generation mesh bodies - anything you wear needs to be already textured, and if those things in your outfit have been textured with appliers nothing is going to change that.

4 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Nothing at all will happen to your existing outfits. Outfits don't actively "apply" anything with the current generation mesh bodies - anything you wear needs to be already textured, and if those things in your outfit have been textured with appliers nothing is going to change that.

Ok, I am a little confused because I have read very little.

So, basically, if it's Omega compatible, it will apply or something like that.

I'm wondering because I did not get to use the BOM viewer yet.  It just wouldn't hardly even load world...so I'm waiting a bit with it.

Edited by FairreLilette

31 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Appliers and "Onion-Skin" mesh bodies will still be a round for a very long time. Bakes on Mesh will not really catch-on for another six months to a year, and even then it will just be another option for creating a look. I'm not so sure it will take-off the way Bento has because Bento is no-brainer easy: Just buy and use updated animation and wear the right mesh.

For BoM there is a oot more complication involved right now as people suffer the learning curve. When Creators have made using BoM as easy as using Bento then it will take off, except for the fact that unless a lot of old content is updated, many may not be willing to discard what already is a very heavy investment into the "current technologies" - only those willing to reinvest, because unlike Bento animations that can be mixed and matched, BoM cannot be mixed and match with non-BoM.

Only partially correct. You will really need to commit to a system skin to use BOM, but it's completely possible to still use existing appliers on other layers on top of them. 

Just now, FairreLilette said:

You need to actively convert an existing body to use BOM, or make the choice to use it if your body is updated by the maker. When this is done, your system skin, tattoos, clothing, etc. will appear on your body where the applier skin you previously used will appear. If you don't make this change everything will behave exactly as it did before.

28 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

You need to actively convert an existing body to use BOM, or make the choice to use it if your body is updated by the maker. When this is done, your system skin, tattoos, clothing, etc. will appear on your body where the applier skin you previously used will appear. If you don't make this change everything will behave exactly as it did before.

Oh, I see.  I think.  lol

Okay, just news yesterday, the Maitreya Lara Body is being updated to BOM.  When it will be available, I do not know.  

There is a Maitreya Lara Friends group inworld for any and all who have questions.  

Edited by FairreLilette

5 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

You will really need to commit to a system skin to use BOM 

I reiterate: All (BoM = Yes) or nothing (BoM = No). One could argue that it's "Some or nothing" - but then it requires brain-power (in terms of effort, not intellect) to make it work that most are not so willing to give right now.

35 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

It's better: Vice-versa - it converts BoM parts into Appliers - so you can use BoM on a non-BoM body.

So, does Maitreya Lara need to be updated into a non-mesh body kinda of like the Classic bodies?  

I am asking this question because 1) Maitreya Lara is being updated into a BoM body, and 2) I had no body when I finally after a long time arrived in the BoM viewer for the first time, and my Maitreya body would not apply.  

Edited by FairreLilette

22 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

So, does Maitreya Lara need to be updated into a non-mesh body kinda of like the Classic bodies?  

I am asking this question because 1) Maitreya Lara is being updated into a BoM body, and 2) I had no body when I finally after a long time arrived in the BoM viewer for the first time, and my Maitreya body would not apply.  

I don't understand your questions. You may want to look at this post and even go through the thread:

18 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

The Lara will be updated to accept BoM layers.  The body will still be mesh, just mesh that can take BoM layers, same body never the less.

Any BoM updated viewer will not have anything to do with how or why you could not wear your Maitreya body, as 'applying' a mesh body is not how that works. So, a bit unclear what you had going on there.

6 minutes ago, Tarani Tempest said:

The Lara will be updated to accept BoM layers.  The body will still be mesh, just mesh that can take BoM layers, same body never the less.

Any BoM updated viewer will not have anything to do with how or why you could not wear your Maitreya body, as 'applying' a mesh body is not how that works. So, a bit unclear what you had going on there.

Yeah, me too... I don't know what was going on there or why I had no body.

I uninstalled the viewer and will retry again at another time.

As far as BoM, in it's time, I am sure I will understand it by doing it.  The more I do it, the more I will understand it.  

Edited by FairreLilette

1 hour ago, Tarani Tempest said:

same body never the less.

Technically it's not the same body. The purpose of BoM is to eliminate the extra mesh layers (onion skin layers) of current mesh bodies, so no underwear, tattoo, or clothing mesh layers to use appliers on, but rather a single layer that the BoM Composite is put on, and the composite being created using the system layers. Whether the mesh body creators will follow this intended paradigm or continue with the inion skin layers is yet to be seen. This is, in my mind, BoM is an all or nothing choice, unless the new Omega BoM relay is used.

On 9/3/2019 at 10:44 AM, Alyona Su said:

This isn't exactly true. There are several huds that work with omega compatible heads and bodies that rout BOM layers onto the current system. You can use appliers and system layers together. It's what I'm sticking with, because I have too many applier layers I like to just throw away and skins are not one-size-fits-all around the hands and feet. 

On 9/3/2019 at 9:18 AM, FairreLilette said:

I'm wondering because I did not get to use the BOM viewer yet.  It just wouldn't hardly even load world...so I'm waiting a bit with it.

Lots of people are confused. 

If you can make a classic look and wear system clothes then you basically know how to use BoM.

Without using any mesh body parts dress your classic avatar. Add skin, tats/makeup, underwear, and even clothes if you want. When you put on a BoM-mesh-body, all of what you are wearing will magically appear on the BoM body and the system will automatically alpha out the classic body. No need to add the full body alphas we use now.

Your mesh clothes will still fit the BoM-body. The Slink BoM bodies are the same size and work with all the mesh clothes that previously fit the Slink bodies.

Classic bodies use worn alpha layers to hide classic body parts. Those classic alpha layers will work with the new BoM-bodies. The alpha transfers too making the same parts of the mesh body invisible as they did the classic body. This means we are no longer limited to the alpha cuts of the current pre-BoM-mesh-bodies. It also means that if you put on a full body alpha layer the BoM-mesh-body will be invisible too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

This isn't exactly true. There are several huds that work with omega compatible heads and bodies that rout BOM layers onto the current system. You can use appliers and system layers together. It's what I'm sticking with, because I have too many applier layers I like to just throw away and skins are not one-size-fits-all around the hands and feet. 

Yes, which is not using BoM - Omega is appling BoM ability to an existing 4-layer mesh body. But still - if using the Omega BoM relay then you are not using the standard Omega relay, and vice-versa - so it is *still* all or nothing, isn't it? One or the other, cannot use both at the same time.

If you mean to use BoM for skin and appliers for everything else... uh... Why would you want to do that? Totally unnecessary.

Edited by Alyona Su

Bakes on mesh are basically system layers (bigger resolution tho, used to be 512x512 limit, I believe it`s 1024x1024 now). The cool stuff we get with Bakes on mesh are;  49 layers per mesh, custom alpha cuts, BoM textures or layers if you wish will be listed under currently worn items/outfit unlike appliers ...We will however still need appliers/Omega for materials (skin details, shine etc). In that sense it won`t be either or, both are needed for different purposes

This update will also shake things up when it comes to mesh heads/bodies market since those massively depend on 3rd party product support (i.e. make up, tattoos, skins)...we all know certain brands are more then supported/covered in that regard while it`s nearly impossible to find content for others..Bakes on mesh should level the playing field since 99% meshes use SL default body/head UV maps, in other words, same textures fit no matter the brand..

There is really nothing to worry about, this is a good thing for sure in more ways then one!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

Yes, which is not using BoM - Omega is appling BoM ability to an existing 4-layer mesh body. But still - if using the Omega BoM relay then you are not using the standard Omega relay, and vice-versa - so it is *still* all or nothing, isn't it? One or the other, cannot use both at the same time.

If you mean to use BoM for skin and appliers for everything else... uh... Why would you want to do that? Totally unnecessary.

Because I still like my applier stuff. I'm not willing to stop using it.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

Not for everything but certainly to be able to mix BoM wearables and appliers and bake them together.  This is the one thing that might sell an onion-skin-less BoM body to me for my main use.  This would presumably need the scripting functions that were postponed for first release.  Certainly not unnecessary from my perspective, it might just make me want to use BoM instead of avoid it.

3 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

Not for everything but certainly to be able to mix BoM wearables and appliers and bake them together.  This is the one thing that might sell an onion-skin-less BoM body to me for my main use.  This would presumably need the scripting functions that were postponed for first release.  Certainly not unnecessary from my perspective, it might just make me want to use BoM instead of avoid it.

I agree, and it still will take another month or two or three, etc., before all the viewers are updated. And it will be six months to a year before BoM is well-adapted by many, not most, creators. Then there is the question of all the stuff that exists today that we've spent huge sums of money on that may or more likely may not be upgraded to BoM.

Perhaps in a few years, BoM will become the way of the world. It's going to take a long time before it becomes mainstream.

a thing about onion layers and BoM is that I think we are going to end up with at least one onion layer on the best-selling BoM bodies

the thing for why is lady bits on the base mesh are typically quite pronounced, and the underwear/clothing onion layer de-emphasizes these bits

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1666 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.