possible to have male & female avi on same account?

Sandra8675

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1715 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

All you need to change genders is a shape.

When editing your shape, just click the toggle at the top right of the edit window.  The little Mars/Venus symbols.

5249fe1d8e3b727015f6bf9243e6733c.png

Before you do that, create a new shape so you don't mess up the one you normally use.

If you don't feel like making your own shape, just buy a male shape you like, wear that and boom.  You're a man.

2 hours ago, Sandra8675 said:

If I just want the exact same account without creating a new one.  Can I have a male avi on my normal female account?  I'm asking because I don't wish to mess any of my settings up or loose any information I have saved.

It's easy to do: I have a male shape and mesh body/head combo I use for photographs all the time.

Just be aware that if you switch over to male, your inventory and settings will remain intact, but you'll temporary lose all sense of proportion, while simultaneously feeling overcome by a need to "explain" things to women, all the while hitting on them in dull and uninteresting ways.

Ok, that was just a joke. REALLY.

No, seriously. I was just being funny!

C'mon, get a sense of proportion guys.

• Like 2
  • Haha 13

@Scylla Rhiadra you probably should have explained "proportion" in great detail. 🙄 Having parts intended to fit inside a 'box' multiple times bigger than the box makes no sense. 😣 But, I suppose SL doesn't really make sense...

@Sandra8675 If you want an avatar with a different name, you will have to open another account. You can change your display name once per week. With the coming Last Names, you will be able to change names, but there is going to be a RL dollar cost.

You can make male and female outfits. They will let you change the gender and clothes of your avatar easily. Sex changes in SL are cheap.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

All you need to change genders is a shape.

When editing your shape, just click the toggle at the top right of the edit window.  The little Mars/Venus symbols.

5249fe1d8e3b727015f6bf9243e6733c.png

Before you do that, create a new shape so you don't mess up the one you normally use.

If you don't feel like making your own shape, just buy a male shape you like, wear that and boom.  You're a man.

Oh boy......the light comes on.....Mars and Venus, yeah "click" I know the symbols obviously, but never realised that until now.

Me .....who laughed at the guy at work who said "what's this upper case thing you're all talking about?"

• Haha 2

Yes, you can, it's just a matter of changing your shape and skin and/or mesh body & head if you have them.

However you cannot hide your name "Sandra8675". You can change your display name to a male one, but the original username will remain visible for others who choose to see them.

16 hours ago, Sandra8675 said:

If I just want the exact same account without creating a new one.  Can I have a male avi on my normal female account?  I'm asking because I don't wish to mess any of my settings up or loose any information I have saved.

If you do not care about being the same person publicly (as you can not change your name) it is possible as explained above. Though if you like it to be a separate personality from your female avie, you would need to make a new account. Most settings (at least in FS) are viewer based, not user, at least, I think. And as long as you do not delete your current account, you will always have your saved info.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

... you cannot hide your name "Sandra8675". You can change your display name to a male one, but the original username will remain visible for others who choose to see them.

This is why it's a good idea, when choosing a username, to pick one that is gender-neutral.  Sandra, you may want to consider the alternative of making a new account for your male persona, to avoid the "giveaway" of your username.

You don't lose all that much.

• If you use the Firestorm viewer, you can save all the viewer settings with the Backup command.  Then, if you find the settings are different for your other avatar account, you can import the backed up settings from your main account.
  • You can pay your alt money.
  • Your shape and clothing and accessories are going to need to be different anyway.  If your body settings are the same as your female avatar, you're gonna look strange.

19 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

This is why it's a good idea, when choosing a username, to pick one that is gender-neutral.

And don't just type some random letters without checking if you've accidentally hit a genune RL name. I'm speaking from (pre SL) experience here.

3 hours ago, ChinRey said:

And don't just type some random letters without checking if you've accidentally hit a genune RL name. I'm speaking from (pre SL) experience here.

I once made an alt with a "fantasy" name I made up for a fantasy roleplay. One day some guy spoke a foreign language at me, assuming I would understand it.  Turns out that the "random" name I made up was a real Hungarian name.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ChinRey said:

1 hour ago, Matty Luminos said:

I once made an alt with a "fantasy" name I made up for a fantasy roleplay. One day some guy spoke a foreign language at me, assuming I would understand it.  Turns out that the "random" name I made up was a real Hungarian name.

Yes, yes. I often see names, that in Chinese, do not match the avater gender (or in some cases what the avatar *is*. LOL Better to go to one of the baby-namer websites and choose one of those names that goes both ways, there are many.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

Yes, yes. I often see names, that in Chinese, do not match the avater gender (or in some cases what the avatar *is*. LOL Better to go to one of the baby-namer websites and choose one of those names that goes both ways, there are many.

One of my friends in SL speaks a little Japanese, and at one point way-back when last names were a thing, one of the available names was Kohime, and she was always amused when she saw some macho guy like "Chad Kohime" or something like that. She never, ever told them that "Kohime" means "princess".

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

One of my friends in SL speaks a little Japanese, and at one point way-back when last names were a thing, one of the available names was Kohime, and she was always amused when she saw some macho guy like "Chad Kohime" or something like that. She never, ever told them that "Kohime" means "princess".

The reason for the amusement is that in Japanese culture, a feminized non-gay man( as in pretty, not necessarily in action or mannerism) is called a "Man-Princess" - and the amusement is the oxymoron (A "macho" man-princess? Like "Jumbo-Shrimp" LOL) Think of the Lord of the Rings Elves wearing bodies like Aesthetic. :D

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1715 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.