Second Life is down.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1953 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, EllieNewell said:

No problem @Selene GregoireThe weather is so bad on Skye they won't see me in the thick mist. Last time we could see the end of the car and not much else. I did get a nice tartan scarf there though.

I wasn't sure you'd get the historical reference. Just don't drink any "red wine" while you're there. ;)

4 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

You're new to SL aren't you. xD

Nope. I joined SL with my first account in July 2006 so I am ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooold.

But I am also a cat. A snow leopard, to be exact. And that means I am extremely egocentric. 

Edited by Female Winslet

1 hour ago, Female Winslet said:

Nope. I joined SL with my first account in July 2006 so I am ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooold.

But I am also a cat. A snow leopard, to be exact. And that means I am extremely egocentric. 

Neener I'm older. lol

Me? I'm just a plain old eccentric wolf. ;)

1 minute ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Neener I'm older. lol

Me? I'm just a plain old eccentric wolf. ;)

So basically I am ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooold and you are oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllldddddddddddddddddddddddddd?

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I wasn't sure you'd get the historical reference. Just don't drink any "red wine" while you're there. ;)

The clans are friendly enough nowadays!!! And the Skye bridge makes for an easy retreat. We get a lot of TV documentaries on the Clans. They were all bloodthirsty. You need something to keep yourself occupied with weather like that!!!!! But the scenery and remoteness is truly breathtaking. If anyone goes up there, also take in Applecross and the pass of the cattle. On the mainland overlooking Skye, and breathtakingly beautiful. :)

Edited by BelindaN
Spelling
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Female Winslet said:

By the power invested in me as a cat, I have decreed that SL shall not crash tonight. So nothing to worry about for anyone.

12 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

You're new to SL aren't you. xD

SL did not crash last night so .... power of cat > patched in bugs?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BelindaN said:

The clans are friendly enough nowadays!!! And the Skye bridge makes for an easy retreat. We get a lot of TV documentaries on the Clans. They were all bloodthirsty. You need something to keep yourself occupied with weather like that!!!!! But the scenery and remoteness is truly breathtaking. If anyone goes up there, also take in Applecross and the pass of the cattle. On the mainland overlooking Skye, and breathtakingly beautiful. :)

True. And yes, Skye is beautiful. The other half, (who is a MacLeod) and I dream of being able to afford the trip. We really want to move there but that's just a pipe dream. 

Just now, Selene Gregoire said:

True. And yes, Skye is beautiful. The other half, (who is a MacLeod) and I dream of being able to afford the trip. We really want to move there but that's just a pipe dream. 

You'd probably have to manage without SL...…...or the internet...…...well, they have cable, but it's dire.

4 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

SL did not crash last night so .... power of cat > patched in bugs?

Nerp. Power of wolf who didn't log in because she knew it was going to be messy the first day. Didn't log in yesterday because I didn't want to jinx things. I'm debating about today. 

taperb3-profile_image-39703826e23460e3-300x300.jpeg

1 hour ago, BelindaN said:

You'd probably have to manage without SL...…...or the internet...…...well, they have cable, but it's dire.

Not a problem for me. The 4 years I was gone from SL... I didn't miss it. And no, I didn't go to another grid or some other VW. I didn't even log into STO during that time. I was busy dealing with 2 deaths in the family.

There are plenty of times I wish I had never been so eager to have a pc 30 or so years ago.

Been through many a year without cable tv as well. There seems to be fewer and fewer worthwhile programs (IMO) so there is less and less to watch. I'd be content with an aeriel antenna. I'd even be happy without as long as I have my books. Preferably hardbacks. ;)

6 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Not a problem for me. The 4 years I was gone from SL... I didn't miss it. And no, I didn't go to another grid or some other VW. I didn't even log into STO during that time. I was busy dealing with 2 deaths in the family.

There are plenty of times I wish I had never been so eager to have a pc 30 or so years ago.

Been through many a year without cable tv as well. There seems to be fewer and fewer worthwhile programs (IMO) so there is less and less to watch. I'd be content with an aeriel antenna. I'd even be happy without as long as I have my books. Preferably hardbacks. ;)

I know what you're saying, we only have a TV antenna, nothing more. We don't watch sport so we don't need much choice and tbh we usually watch catch up rather than live TV. I prefer listening to Spotify anyway most of the time...….

And I love my books...……….I would never have a Kindle......books smell better!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BelindaN said:

I know what you're saying, we only have a TV antenna, nothing more. We don't watch sport so we don't need much choice and tbh we usually watch catch up rather than live TV. I prefer listening to Spotify anyway most of the time...….

And I love my books...……….I would never have a Kindle......books smell better!

And books don't need charging! or batteries. Or OS updates, etc etc etc.

1 hour ago, April Linden said:

Hi, y'all. :)

Here's a blog post about what happened: 

Sorry for the trouble this week! 💜

@April Linden

What I want to know is if the problem with the second router was a manufacturer's defect of some kind. What, precisely, was the issue? Defective cable? Router? What?

I understand about DDoS attacks and don't have a problem with LL doing every thing they can to combat such things. I just want to know what caused the router/cable to fail. In layman's terms, please. Some may not think this is vital information for residents. I do. It helps us to understand better why some things are done the way they are and could possible helps us in the future if we have troubles with our routers at home or even at work.

Honestly? I really, really dislike being a mushroom and kept in the dark. I prefer to avoid as many "bombshells" in my life as I can. ^_^

20 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

In layman's terms

I think that's exactly what they did in the post? Their redundant system failed, when they interrupted their network.

Doubt they can explain an outage so complicated and unique that their top engineers, a top consultant and even the core router manufacturer were clueless, in understandable laymans terms. I don't think we have to worry about advanced poop like that going on at our routers at home, or even at work. If your work has routers of their capacity, you will have a team of IT engineers maintaining them ;) 

Edited by Zeta Vandyke
Cant say poop in that other way!

• Lindens
36 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

@April Linden

What I want to know is if the problem with the second router was a manufacturer's defect of some kind. What, precisely, was the issue? Defective cable? Router? What?

I understand about DDoS attacks and don't have a problem with LL doing every thing they can to combat such things. I just want to know what caused the router/cable to fail. In layman's terms, please. Some may not think this is vital information for residents. I do. It helps us to understand better why some things are done the way they are and could possible helps us in the future if we have troubles with our routers at home or even at work.

Honestly? I really, really dislike being a mushroom and kept in the dark. I prefer to avoid as many "bombshells" in my life as I can. ^_^

I promise you it wasn't me that chewed those wires. I dunno how they got chewed. They were pre-chewed when I got there. 😗

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

11 minutes ago, April Linden said:

I promise you it wasn't me that chewed those wires. I dunno how they got chewed. They were pre-chewed when I got there. 😗

I'm going with Patch chewing the cables as stress relief from all the yelling from those unable to get a Linden Home ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1953 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.