I Do Not Like Logging Into Profiles All the Time

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1905 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is a very old bug, but a recurring bug, which has been back in recent weeks.

And no, it's not true that if you go through the nuisance of typing in your name and password and checking off "remember me on this computer" that you are done for this log-in session.

It makes you do it over and over again. And it is SUCH a nuisance when you have to repeatedly look up people's names to change their titles in group or answer their questions or give them prizes or whatever. 

What is the mechanism for why this happens? What is the JIRA status? (I don't have access to the JIRA).

What exactly do you mean by "logging into profiles?" How does changing someone's group title require you to log into anything, when it can be done within the viewer?

But generally, assuming this is some kind of a web-thing, you may have cookies disabled. (Cookies are used to store data about your current session or login token, so you wouldn't have to log in again until the cookie expires.)

• Like 1

I Do Not Like Logging Into Profiles All the Time

Just use one profile. Problem solved.

5 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

This is a very old bug, but a recurring bug, which has been back in recent weeks.

Just the fact you dont like to login make its not a bug.

5 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

And no, it's not true that if you go through the nuisance of typing in your name and password and checking off "remember me on this computer" that you are done for this log-in session.

If i decide to have my password saved, all i have to do is to type the first or the first two letters of my account names, pressing the tab key twice to get the password changed by itself and to select if i want to rez at home or at the last spot. Done.
I really dont get what your problem actually is.

• Like 1

I don't get 'round to editing my profile very often, so I may be missing the whole point here, but I'm guessing the fun starts with this, while trying to edit one's profile from a running Second Life session:

372714716_profilelogin0.png.7e935bd7ecc34c8866f60bab6360140e.png

which brings up this:

28034478_profilelogin1.png.c0d3faa27f632d59e36d9630b9735246.png

and then if you click on the lock in the upper left and go through a while separate web login session, you get to the web-based profile editor, which is the same place you'd get if you entered your my.secondlife.com URL directly into a logged-in browser window. (I could also click on that green link lower down the dialog shown above, but not everybody has a "Homepage" entry on their profile and it need not link to their my.secondlife.com page as above; I just have it set up that way in the "Settings" / "Homepage" part of my profile because it's handy for me, albeit not so useful for anybody reading my profile.)

So, maybe doing something like that, instead of clicking on the lock, works around the problem? Or does that not work for others, in other browsers or other viewers? Or is this not the problem at all?

(Sorry 'bout using a non-Linden viewer here, but Catznip is usually pretty close. Otherwise I'm using a Linden project viewer that seems always to want updating, which it's doing as I type this.)

Edited by Qie Niangao

It's a bug.

JIRA issues:

BUG-10415 - Profiles and marketplace are asking for a login each session

BUG-225913 - Having to log into JIRA and sometimes MP, WEB SITE & Profiles

It very likely got worse recently with the latest LL viewer release, which included an updated CEF/Dullahan, which is what handles the web integration in the viewer.
If you got unlucky, the old CEF cache was corrupted and now the new CEF cannot read your prior cache and cookies.

To fix this, manually remove all cef caches and cookies and then try again.
C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Local\SecondLife\cef_cache
C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\cef_cookies

Does that fix it?  Or at least stop it happening every session or multiple times in a session.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

Ah yes, more complaints about an issue that is often solved by simply not using the in client web browser... 

Or by following basic troubleshooting steps first while not trying to claim a function simply doesn't work... 

Be nice! LOL Not everyone uses Firestorm viewer. :P Though I've seen @Whirly Fizzle mention in other threads that Linden Lab is at least thinking about returning to the in-viewer (a.k.a. "legacy") profiles viewer. I don't mind the in-viewer browser for profiles and things, other than (for some unknown reason) it is slower than frozen molasses dripping uphill.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alyona Su said:

Be nice! LOL Not everyone uses Firestorm viewer. :P Though I've seen @Whirly Fizzle mention in other threads that Linden Lab is at least thinking about returning to the in-viewer (a.k.a. "legacy") profiles viewer. I don't mind the in-viewer browser for profiles and things, other than (for some unknown reason) it is slower than frozen molasses dripping uphill.

Yes web profiles are going away.  The LL viewer will switch to using legacy profiles.
Thank God  :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, it's a bug, and it has been discussed before on the forums.

No, I do not have cookies disabled -- in fact several times a day I have to RE-DO that "agree" message when logging into SL's web site.

It's not about logging into MY OWN profile to edit it, but logging into OTHER PEOPLE's profiles.

Yes, my password is saved and if logging in or changing accounts, all I have to do is type the first few letters and it comes up, if I have saved it.

BUT THAT DOESN'T WORK FROM INSIDE SL WHEN THE SYSTEM DEMANDS YOU LOG-IN AGAIN TO SEE OTHER PEOPLE'S PROFILES!

Most annoyances in SL I don't like are in fact a function of bugs.

You can change a group title on the group itself after updating the group if it occurred during that log-in session. But that updating does't always work (another annoyance).

More to the point, people don't always realize they have to join a group despite several notifications, in the least, in FAQs on site, on my profile, etc. So when I see a payment, I have to LOOK THEM UP IN SEARCH to be able to find them and send them a message (there isn't any other way).

There are a variety of other reasons you have to look up people:

o if they are squatters, to ban them

o if they are merchants, and you have a question or problem

o if they left the group after setting prims (some people opt to do this), but you know they are still paid tenants, to contact them about either overprimming or other issues.

o to give them raffle prizes (not all who play the raffles are tenants in a group)

And likely other reasons -- which is why a dozen times a day I have to do it, and have to keep logging into OTHER PEOPLE'S PROFILES, and not just once, after checking "Remember me".

I almost never check a web profile. Indeed, I never check tenants' profiles to see who they are  unless I am trying to see what happened to them -- sometimes I have long-time tenants who have been in their rentals for years, and they disappear, so I don't know whether I should give them more time to pay. A profile sometimes says they have left SL. Or it has an open group to see if they logged in recently, to confirm what their own rental group might show (group log-in dates are not reliable indicators of whether a person is still in SL, but work well enough).

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Haha 1

@Whirly Fizzle

FYI - there was only one of those folders you mentioned on my system: C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\cef_cookies

Inside that folder were two more folders: Cookies and Cookies-Journal. So I erased them.

Then it took a half dozen tries to get logged in, and I had to re-start my computer even to get rid of the SL log-in screen which always hangs. This is likely related to other issues.

Then once logged on, I crashed a dozen times, couldn't load inventory etc. Finally I got logged on, tried looking up a profile of someone who wrote to me and had left the group because they said they were suspending their SL because it was just too difficult to get logged on and to TP to places, including home. Sound familiar? I was able to reach their profile but their picture didn't rez in. At least that was enough to IM them.

Here's a rare admission from LL that they have a problem:

Had I complained about this last week, I would have been told that it isn't a bug, that I am calling "bugs" things that I don't like, that it's because I don't use Firestorm, or it's because of my own computer.

Of course it isn't.

Thank God for Whirly Fizzle!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

@Whirly Fizzle

FYI - there was only one of those folders you mentioned on my system: C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\cef_cookies

Inside that folder were two more folders: Cookies and Cookies-Journal. So I erased them.

Then it took a half dozen tries to get logged in, and I had to re-start my computer even to get rid of the SL log-in screen which always hangs. This is likely related to other issues.

Then once logged on, I crashed a dozen times, couldn't load inventory etc. Finally I got logged on, tried looking up a profile of someone who wrote to me and had left the group because they said they were suspending their SL because it was just too difficult to get logged on and to TP to places, including home. Sound familiar? I was able to reach their profile but their picture didn't rez in. At least that was enough to IM them.

Here's a rare admission from LL that they have a problem:

Had I complained about this last week, I would have been told that it isn't a bug, that I am calling "bugs" things that I don't like, that it's because I don't use Firestorm, or it's because of my own computer.

Of course it isn't.

Thank God for Whirly Fizzle!

I got a direct answer from ebbe on twitter it was a bug and the team was working on it.   think I asked him last week too.

7 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

I got a direct answer from ebbe on twitter it was a bug and the team was working on it.   think I asked him last week too.

That''s about the teleporting issues. You may be mixing-up the thread: it' about the viewer browser and viewing your own profile: you are not automatically logged into the web profile page (as you should be from within the viewer). :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

That''s about the teleporting issues. You may be mixing-up the thread: it' about the viewer browser and viewing your own profile: you are not automatically logged into the web profile page (as you should be from within the viewer). :)

Crap yes.  I was in the wrong topic,  my bad.  thank you.  I just got home from work after working 12 hours. ugh.  okay. :)

10 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

More to the point, people don't always realize they have to join a group despite several notifications, in the least, in FAQs on site, on my profile, etc. So when I see a payment, I have to LOOK THEM UP IN SEARCH to be able to find them and send them a message (there isn't any other way).

1) Go to "Conversations" menu and click the "+" button.

2) Type in their name in the "Search" dialog that opens. Works for usernames and display names. Doesn't go through web search.

(Yes, and it's the default viewer I'm talking about.)

• Like 1

It's not about logging into MY OWN profile to edit it, but logging into OTHER PEOPLE's profiles.

Yeah, I didn't get that at first. Indeed, it must have been maddening.

... So when I see a payment, I have to LOOK THEM UP IN SEARCH to be able to find them and send them a message (there isn't any other way).

There are a variety of other reasons you have to look up people:

o if they are squatters, to ban them

o if they are merchants, and you have a question or problem

o if they left the group after setting prims (some people opt to do this), but you know they are still paid tenants, to contact them about either overprimming or other issues.

o to give them raffle prizes (not all who play the raffles are tenants in a group)

And likely other reasons -- which is why a dozen times a day I have to do it, and have to keep logging into OTHER PEOPLE'S PROFILES, and not just once, after checking "Remember me".

It occurs to me that these particular functions could be mediated by a script without needing to go through a user Profile. It would be weird at first, but wouldn't have to be horribly awkward. This is all hypothetical, I don't think anybody would need such a script now that we know how to stop the bug, which will probably soon be fixed anyway.

Just idly observing that, over time, the Lab made a good effort providing script functions needed to support in-world commerce. Duh, I guess.

13 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Yes web profiles are going away.  The LL viewer will switch to using legacy profiles.
Thank God  :D

REally happy about this .. the web stuff had so much potential, but was badly neglected. 

I'm only hoping they stick with SQUARE profile pictures ... 

9 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

REally happy about this .. the web stuff had so much potential, but was badly neglected. 

It's what they had before if I remember correctly. But 1:1 or 4:3 is fine, as long as PROFILE and PICKS are at least consistent. Though I know better than to hold my breath LOL

11 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

But... but... portraits are SUPPOSED to be horizontal rectangles! That way you can get a picture of you standing in front of an orange/red swirling nebula with your name written in purple vertically down the side, just like you'd get in a RL portrait stu...

Waitaminnit...

Not sure why profile pics and pick pics need to be consistent with each other, but it would be nice if profile portraits were always displayed in the same aspect ratio whatever the context, and it would also be nice if pick pics and parcel landscapes were also displayed in the same aspect ratio whatever the context.

All profile images need to be the same aspect ratio. Everywhere they are shown. Inside SL and outside of SL.

4:3 takes square images and stretches them requiring the user to account for this when creating the image.

If 4:3 is the standard, please provide some accessible (in the viewer, at the point of use) cropping tools that will let the user set how they are shown.

(Images are square because they are actually textures)

2 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

(Images are square because they are actually textures)

Yes, yes - then stretched to make the rectangle we see in Firestorm, etc. This process is called Anamorphic (for all you people who wondered what that meaning was on your widescreen DVDs LOL)

23 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

I don't know if you are able to reason by analogy.

I didn't say literally that these teleporting issues "were the same thing" as the log-in issue.

I said that when I point out a problem, people always claim it's my fault, but most of the time, it's the software.

And rarely, Linden Lab admits this, as they did not teleporters.

Once again, you can't "automatically log into the web profile" WHEN IT IS BROKEN. Read what Whirly said -- it's a bug.

It's not always the case -- and in fact when I tried her cure, deleting the files which are apparently corrupted, it seemed to PARTLY go away. That is, I still can't pull up people's pictures, but at least I get a profile to be able to IM them.

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1905 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.