I Do Not Like Logging Into Profiles All the Time

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1837 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

21 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

1) Go to "Conversations" menu and click the "+" button.

2) Type in their name in the "Search" dialog that opens. Works for usernames and display names. Doesn't go through web search.

(Yes, and it's the default viewer I'm talking about.)

No.

That doesn't work.

When you pull up a name from search -- which is obviously something I do all the time  -- because the groups don't load, because people aren't in the group yet -- I STILL have had the issue of having to log-into their profile. It's not about web search, but something else, when that happens.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I don't know if you are able to reason by analogy.

I think it was the person to whom @Alyona Su was responding who didn't quite understand your analogy, or just posting in the wrong thread. That person, @bigmoe Whitfield, graciously acknowledged the confusion in a later post.

At the risk of aggravating the cache zealots, if profile pictures aren't merely slow to load but still don't load at all, I'd trash all cache directories under AppData/Local/SecondLife. They'll get rebuilt soon enough. May not help but I'd try it anyway.

This part, from an earlier post, is worrisome:

On 4/12/2019 at 10:28 AM, Prokofy Neva said:

Then it took a half dozen tries to get logged in, and I had to re-start my computer even to get rid of the SL log-in screen which always hangs. This is likely related to other issues.

Then once logged on, I crashed a dozen times, couldn't load inventory etc. Finally I got logged on

Not that I have any suggestions, but this is not a normal state of affairs. It's apt to complicate every attempt to diagnose future problems because, with everything else going wrong, it's going to be difficult to isolate symptoms to identify a new problem.

18 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

If they return to the original profile system, those do show Notes as well as DOB.

But not when I am not logged in, right?  I want to know if I am talking in email to someone a month old or ten years old (so as to avoid getting screamed at for assuming too much or too little). Also, notes lets me know if I have a history with them.

I am guessing that never once did anyone working at LL think that merchants trying to provide fast support might find this info useful while offline. Because if anyone did, they surely would not want to make it harder to do our jobs. 

Edited by Pamela Galli

Looking at the page linked by Whirly ... I see the following line:

Resident Since: 2007-21-10 (11 years, 5 months ago)

Mind I cannot say if this shows up when not logged into Second Lfe's web pages and honestly see no reason why you'd not be logged in if you have an account. Using mobile or not.

Notes indeed appears missing.

In short, you do not need to be logged into the actual Second Life client to see a user's DOB. Now they just need to add Notes to it.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Looking at the page linked by Whirly ... I see the following line:

Mind I cannot say if this shows up when not logged into Second Lfe's web pages and honestly see no reason why you'd not be logged in if you have an account. Using mobile or not.

Notes indeed appears missing.

In short, you do not need to be logged into the actual Second Life client to see a user's DOB. Now they just need to add Notes to it.

Yes, it does show DOB, yay! 

3 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

The world.secondlife.com "profiles" will still be there.
eg) http://world.secondlife.com/resident/2e255955-e183-48c4-b9f9-1cd1b80db94e

How do you know an Avatar's key?  If some random person IMs me and I get it via email because I'm not logged inworld and I want to check their profile - how do you know what key to put in the URL?

13 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Yes, that is exactly what it means.

Web profiles, feeds, everything will go poof.

13 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

Well crap, I use that all the time, for customer support. 

3 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

The world.secondlife.com "profiles" will still be there.
eg) http://world.secondlife.com/resident/2e255955-e183-48c4-b9f9-1cd1b80db94e

Depreciating web profiles is one thing, though would they not continue to maintain the "my.secondlife.com" page still? I would think the logical way to do it would be to use "legacy" style profiles in-viewer the way Firestorm does it, but still leave the web version up there. Or is the word that they are actually going to discombobulately-nuke those?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

No.

That doesn't work.

When you pull up a name from search -- which is obviously something I do all the time  -- because the groups don't load, because people aren't in the group yet -- I STILL have had the issue of having to log-into their profile. It's not about web search, but something else, when that happens.

But you were asking about sending messages. Does that work? Calling up a profile in the default viewer uses the same system as the web search does, but messaging is independent.

1 hour ago, Alyona Su said:

Depreciating web profiles is one thing, though would they not continue to maintain the "my.secondlife.com" page still? I would think the logical way to do it would be to use "legacy" style profiles in-viewer the way Firestorm does it, but still leave the web version up there. Or is the word that they are actually going to discombobulately-nuke those?

Web profiles and my.secondlife.com are just different sides of the same coin. The intent is perhaps to switch off the servers that are providing the un-maintainable web interfaces and as part of that in viewer web profiles will go away, the PR is "Yayy! Classic profiles are coming back!" ... ignoring the minor point that if they were that awesome at the start why did they ever feel the need to try and depreciate them in the first place :P

The answer to that is fairly simple enough: Some bonehead at the time thought Web-based profiles for Second Life was The Way To Go as it gave the profiles a Social Media Feel.

You know, because every profile just needed a Feed and a comment section ....

I cannot roll my eyes hard enough at that ...

2 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

The answer to that is fairly simple enough: Some bonehead at the time thought Web-based profiles for Second Life was The Way To Go as it gave the profiles a Social Media Feel.

You know, because every profile just needed a Feed and a comment section ....

I cannot roll my eyes hard enough at that ...

But... but... but it's FUN to just start plopping random stuff into random people's profiles because they don't even know those exist and so never turn them off! 

3 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Web profiles and my.secondlife.com are just different sides of the same coin. The intent is perhaps to switch off the servers that are providing the un-maintainable web interfaces and as part of that in viewer web profiles will go away, the PR is "Yayy! Classic profiles are coming back!" ... ignoring the minor point that if they were that awesome at the start why did they ever feel the need to try and depreciate them in the first place :P

If they pull the plug on those servers, seems like they'll have a lot of backfill to do. At least they'd need to expose some means for people to edit their profiles, which (I think) is all mediated through the same tangled web as my.secondlife.com nowadays.

When I think of how much trouble they had getting a minimal working version of Auctions up and running, migrating off web interfaces may be the right thing to do, but may also be a Big Deal.

51 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

If they pull the plug on those servers, seems like they'll have a lot of backfill to do. At least they'd need to expose some means for people to edit their profiles, which (I think) is all mediated through the same tangled web as my.secondlife.com nowadays.

You can edit legacy profiles in exactly the same way you could edit them back in the viewer 1.23 days.
You can also edit your Picks & Classifieds through the legacy profile too - something you could never do via web profiles.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

When I think of how much trouble they had getting a minimal working version of Auctions up and running, migrating off web interfaces may be the right thing to do, but may also be a Big Deal.

17 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

You can edit legacy profiles in exactly the same way you could edit them back in the viewer 1.23 days.
You can also edit your Picks & Classifieds through the legacy profile too - something you could never do via web profiles.

Yes, yes... the Web version came along way late in the game (at the time, anyway) - before all the (~rolls eyes~) FaceBook and Twitter hoopla was a thing it was all done inside the viewer, no web anything in SL except for the (old) forums. Hell, back then they would also kick everyone off the grid at 7 AM SL Time so they could restart and update all the servers and people were freaking out that if concurrency hit 10,000 the grid would crash and collapse. *Back then they showed the number of users in-world on the login screen of the viewer). LOL

Even with all the glitches these days, including the (infuriating?) TP disconnects, SL is a *way* better, more stable, full-featured thing than it ever was before. The Web profiles bit really did feel like a big step backward at the time and ever since.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1837 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.