SL Chugging >>> Now it's Buzzing! ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1997 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

After I got my new ASUS ROG laptop with SSD 6 months ago SL was truly flying along, I was happy and loving the speed, SL was like a new world. However, gradually over time I noticed my SL experience decline. The final straw came when an item of clothing became corrupted and wouldn't load properly. I use Firestorm x64.

After a bit of frustration with that corrupted cached item I decided to do something about it - I deleted everything in the 'C:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Firestorm_x64' folder.

There were in excess of 30,000 files in there and it was just under 4GB's worth. At the time I was concerned whether all my button positions and settings would remain intact, or whether I'd mess things up some other way, but when I logged back in afterwards everything was all there, just how I left it. A few seconds of loading up fresh, but already things were noticeably faster.

Wow! ..  Everything is now running like new >>> Fast! .. Just like when it was new B|

bddb9b22b44488f15424d095a86f76e9.png.cc3e95784ac9660f5b5637fb45859d09.png

No doubt some of you know this already, but every now and then I am going to clear this lot out manually. The 'Clear Cache' button didn't do it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Candice LittleBoots said:

After I got my new ASUS ROG laptop with SSD 6 months ago SL was truly flying along, I was happy and loving the speed, SL was like a new world. However, gradually over time I noticed my SL experience decline. The final straw came when an item of clothing became corrupted and wouldn't load properly. I use Firestorm x64.

After a bit of frustration with that corrupted cached item I decided to do something about it - I deleted everything in the 'C:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Firestorm_x64' folder.

There were in excess of 30,000 files in there and it was just under 4GB's worth. At the time I was concerned whether all my button positions and settings would remain intact, or whether I'd mess things up some other way, but when I logged back in afterwards everything was all there, just how I left it. A few seconds of loading up fresh, but already things were noticeably faster.

Wow! ..  Everything is now running like new >>> Fast! .. Just like when it was new B|

No doubt some of you know this already, but every now and then I am going to clear this lot out manually. The 'Clear Cache' button didn't do it.

As it's an SSD.... before you delete it all next time try doing a defragment on the disk. With an SSD that performs a trim not a defrag.

I have a theory that SL cache really messes up on SSDs and needs a manual trim sometimes to get computer performance back to screaming fast levels.

20 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

As it's an SSD.... before you delete it all next time try doing a defragment on the disk. With an SSD that performs a trim not a defrag.

Windows is scheduled to 'Optimize' my C drive (SSD) weekly.

As far as actually defragmenting a SSD, I did a lot of Googling/reading about that. I did it once after deleting all those cache files, but I'm still not totally convinced either way. I might do one once or twice a year if I feel it needs it.

SSD doesn't benefit from the defragmentation at all, you'll just waste a bit of its resources for nothing.

Whole point of defragmentation on HDD is to move fragmented blocks of data together so access time will improve greatly. HDD needs to physically access those blocks and if they are fragmented, then drive's head will need to do a lot more and slow down already slow enough process. SSD has same access time to each of its blocks/cells and there's no moving parts, making defragmentation completely pointless. Whole trim/garbage collection is there to make sure SSD cells get equal usage, so some of them won'trun out of rewrite cycles long before the others.

14 hours ago, Candice LittleBoots said:

https://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/cache

https://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_cache_clear

14 hours ago, Candice LittleBoots said:

Question: Did you clear ALL of the above or just one or two?

10 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I don't understand why you quoted me, I wasn't asking a question.

Perhaps you're simply saying that you knew already, or just Googled it. I don't know.

Edited by Candice LittleBoots

5 minutes ago, Candice LittleBoots said:

I don't understand why you quoted me, I wasn't asking a question.

Perhaps you're simply saying that you knew already, or just Googled it. I don't know.

I was providing the links that would have been given to anyone in the FS support group regarding clearing cache for anyone who wants/needs those links. Don't need to google anything about FS, it's all there on the wiki. Of course, having spent 5 years on the FS support team providing those links, I kind of knew where to look. ;)

16 hours ago, Donna Underall said:

I just got a new computer and haven't installed SL on it yet.  How do I do this??

When you install windoze, create a partition for C drive, then I usually do this: (pic below). Displayed are TWO hard drives, both partitioned by date/age of drive. Drives are replaced every second year. I have NEVER lost a single byte of data - ever. I also use free Defraggler to keep my mechanical hard drives fresh & razor sharp on a fortnightly basis. https://www.ccleaner.com/defraggler/download

Scratch is for ins & outs -> Data moved about for audio, 3d, video & graphics temp storage, which can also be used for all temporary stuff/memory extension/s.

Programs - self explanatory. 

Data is for permanent edited stuff/storage. Works in progress etc etc. 

All my copyrighted works & sensitive personal data is stored on a Lacie Quadra 4tb E-Sata drive which is only started manually when required.

I have used this configuration for over ten years. 

HDs.JPG

Edited by Maryanne Solo
  • Like 1

On 11/4/2018 at 11:12 PM, Maryanne Solo said:

Top secret secret number 1!

Install SL on a separate partition, including cache.

Always goes whee! whee! whee! -> all the way home :)

Point of order!  I see from your image in another post that you've split up a 4 TB drive into four partitions.  Unless you have a whole lot more money than me, that drive is a traditional spinning platter type, not an SSD.

I have my operating system and my programs on an SSD, and my data files on spinning drives.  (The cache files are also on the spinners...a RAID, actually).

So...two questions.

1.  Do you get better performance with your programs on a different drive than Windows, even though it's an HDD type drive?
  2.  Can you get better performance by partitioning an SSD and keeping Windows on its own partition?

13 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Point of order!  I see from your image in another post that you've split up a 4 TB drive into four partitions.  Unless you have a whole lot more money than me, that drive is a traditional spinning platter type, not an SSD.

I have my operating system and my programs on an SSD, and my data files on spinning drives.  (The cache files are also on the spinners...a RAID, actually).

So...two questions.

1.  Do you get better performance with your programs on a different drive than Windows, even though it's an HDD type drive?
  2.  Can you get better performance by partitioning an SSD and keeping Windows on its own partition?

Sorry thats TWO mechanical hard drives, (which I did specify in first post), split into 2 partitions each. I used to run SSD's but this workstation is waaay over its 24 month rebuild deadline as I have delayed this until my new little company can pay for the next mega upgrades. 64gb of RAM Win 7 64 gives pretty good performance in all types of editing but it was not built to be a speed machine, built to be reliable for the R&D period of my work when I knew monetary resources would be tighter than normal.

When I first got into PC's & hard drives, (late high school), I ran 3 x 2.4gb Seagate barracudas @ 10,000rpm that had 50 pin amphenol? connectors. (which an older family member built). Why? For recording music. Mid/late 1990s. I absolutely adore all things computery and love chatting about it all no matter what the conversation is about. :) I'm not really a coder or anything, mainly a graphics, 3d, video & audio type of person. 

Edited by Maryanne Solo

What's wrong with chalk on a blackboard??

Phew reading this makes me glaze over and think about shopping.

Actually I need a new laptop even though I fear Windows 10.

But then I'll try Firestorm and obviously when I get stuck, as I surely will, I know where to come for advice and help.........as usual.......?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1997 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.