Current Premium Gift - camp fire & tent

Emma Krokus

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2181 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

THANK YOU, ChinRey !!!!

Here is a picture of ChinRey's tree, next to the LL campsite one, if anyone is interested - ChinRey's tree is on the left.

98892024_HalloweenTree.thumb.jpg.8b80ac660f44560f1d4fb5fa5a9dd064.jpg

I'll also add my Thanks to LL for this gift.  I agree with some others in saying it is the best gift I've ever picked up.

ChinRey's tree looks like it just thwacked the other one :D

• Haha 4

13 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

You go to that adds page anytime you get like demos that are free or anything free really..

Oh! So that's when it happens! I was always vaguely puzzled why "Buy Now" sometimes adds a whole extra extra step beyond one-click ordering. I just knew it was super annoying -- and now I also understand why I was super annoyed: it happens exactly when I'm not paying, so there's no need to even confirm the order let alone add another page of irrelevant ads to bat away. (Those ads are untargeted, right? I mean there's never anything on that page worthy of a second glance, despite it being the obvious place to feature items that match my buying patterns. It's not trying to do that, right? Cuz if it is, it's really, really bad at it.)

The premium gift: Yes, I'm very glad this one is modifiable again, it's been a long time returning.

There's at least one oddity, though: the candy apple give-away items are no-Mod, which I find inexplicable inasmuch as they are (and sorta need to be) Copy+Transfer. The reason it matters is that this whole temp-attach thing is so seamlessly solved by the AVsitter experience (on land that enables that experience), but as no-Mod there's no way to replace the current rez-to-attach scripts with experience-equipped [AV]object and associated [AV]prop scripts.

I'm not feeling especially deprived of candy apples, just observing that old no-Mod habits die hard.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Oh! So that's when it happens! I was always vaguely puzzled why "Buy Now" sometimes adds a whole extra extra step beyond one-click ordering. I just knew it was super annoying -- and now I also understand why I was super annoyed: it happens exactly when I'm not paying, so there's no need to even confirm the order let alone add another page of irrelevant ads to bat away. (Those ads are untargeted, right? I mean there's never anything on that page worthy of a second glance, despite it being the obvious place to feature items that match my buying patterns. It's not trying to do that, right? Cuz if it is, it's really, really bad at it.)

I have no idea,I just know what happens when you only get free things there..

If you put the demos or freebies in your cart and have,nine freebies and one item in your cart that costs 1L..You won't go to the ads page when you check out.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

Chinrey it's a beautiful tree and it holds LOD so well. Made with great skill.

Thank you :)

7 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

Not that I want to cause you stress, or demand, or seem spoiled, but I would certainly very happily pay for any seasonals you ever happened to find time to make... snow, green, fall, and a cherry blossom version for spring. XD

That living version of the tree actually does have a 14 or 15 (can't remember exactly) seasons texture changer. It'll be part of a large set of different oaks if LL doesn't mind - I'm waiting to hear from them whether they think it's ok for me to use the trunk commercially. The trunk is different enough from the Mole one there aren't any legal IP issues but I want to respect their wishes here so if they object, the set will be released without this particular variant.

There is one big problem though. I gave up creating for SL long ago and I've only been buiding for my own pleaure and for friends since then. It's only recently, after some long, inspiring and encouraging chats with two Grand Old Content Creators (Luna Bliss and Jubjub Forder) I've found the will to do anything about my SL stores again. In the meantime, my backlog has grown to more than 10,000 builds big and small. That would be a little bit overwhelming even under ideal conditions and if you think the user interface MP presents buyers is bad, you haven't seen the mess they put where the merchants' listing UI ought to be.

I have to do them in the order that suits me or I won't be abel to do it at all. The seasonal oaks and grass fields are fairly high on the priority list but I can't say when I get around to it. I was hoping to add a few hundred listings but I only managed 16 yesterday and 17 today. I can speed up the process quite a lot from now on but I don't know how much and that means I can't give any exact time schedule. I expect the grass fields to be up for sale tomorrow and the oaks later this week but no promises. All I can say is keep an eye on my MP stores.

• Like 2

On 10/6/2018 at 9:34 AM, Emma Krokus said:

Delighted with this!

It's modifiable - thank you Linden Lab for listening:)

The weather feature is awesome - and i adore the swooping bats.

i love the idea of the story time too and the animation for the listeners are very cute.

Lower LI would have been nice but the build does remain stable from a long way away and it is an outdoor scene...

So THANK YOU very much!

Emma :)

Yes, I thought this was really the best premium gift the Lindens have ever produced because it was modifiable, varied, came in pieces, and had interactivity that you could transfer to other things/settings.

I suppose the dune buggies was something many thought was the best, and they were cool, and I drove them a bit on their desert sims, but I don't really care about vehicles that much.

I wasn't bothered by a 20-prim tree because a lot of the best trees in SL do not come cheap in prims, either, and you can always remove and replace it.

I had seen a script like this that tells a story before, in -- of all things -- an automatic Rosary prayer that takes you through all the Mysteries of the Rosary (I have it at the Notre Dame replica in Champlain), but this was something you could add to yourself.

The animations were good, too.

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 8:34 AM, ChinRey said:

It's only recently, after some long, inspiring and encouraging chats with two Grand Old Content Creators (Luna Bliss and Jubjub Forder) I've found the will to do anything about my SL stores again.

I'm glad :)

You inspire me too!

• Like 2

On 10/9/2018 at 4:04 AM, Garnet Psaltery said:

By the way - has anyone else yet named their gravestones?  I know I have tee hee.

Those gravestones are failry decent mesh from a technical point of view too. It may be that not much can go wrong with such a simple build of course  I'm beginning to think maybe that 20 LI tree is a recycled old mesh and not representative of what the Moles can do now.

I suppose Patch will never ever apologize for his rudeness a few months ago <Removed> And the people who actually did all the hard work figuring out how to make efficient mesh and tell the Moles and other buidlers about it, will never get any credit for it. That's simply not how SL works and many of them seem to have given up and left by now anyway.

But judging by those gravestones, it seems at least a part of the lesson we gave him and the Moles has sunk in, and if that's the case, it wasn't a complete waste of tiem after all.

SSP is going to be the real test though since that's a far more complex build. Let's see if the Moles are up to a challenge like that.

Edited by Kristin Linden
Inappropriate
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

I suppose Patch (stuff about the crystal skybox)

I still think of that post quite a bit. In fact each time I go to provide some creative critisism on a build I bite my tongue a little and second guess myself.

I actually think we hurt the feelings of the mesher, Patch saying he walks amongst us too or words to that effect. I might be wrong, but the images the Mole provided with his design choices were clearly the same style as someone who gives a lot of help on the forums in his normal account, and someone whom I always read with a lot of respect.

I'm actually going to say sorry to the moles and to Patch for comments I made about the Skybox back then. I let the dissapointment of nomod get to me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Phil Deakins said:

Patch was rude? That doesn't seem like the image I have of him.

He was really provoked himself at that time, so he probably didn't show himself from his best side. I have no idea how he usually is. His joke posts on the forums tend to be fun but I can't remember to have seen any other serious posts by him here and I've never run across him anywhere else.

For those who don't know what happened: While the Crystal skybox disussion was going on here, Klytyna posted a comment about the quality of the Moles in a completely different thread. As well all know, Klytyna isn't exactly the most diplomatic poster on the forums so it came out a little bit rude. I replied, trying to nuance the picture a bit but I couldn't eaxctly deny what she said - not without lying - so I may only have ended up making matters worse.

Patch went full tilt when he saw this and posted a livid reply. It wasn't really about the skybox to start with but that ended up as a topic of course and he brought in the Mole who had made it (and also the Haunted Campsite) to help defend himself and his people. In the end I posted a lesson (I think that's the right word) examining some of the most basic errors int the skybox and explaining how they could be avoided. We never heard from them again after that but the improvements I see in the Haunted Campsite are exactly the same things I covered in my lessons so I assume that's where they got it from.

1 hour ago, Callum Meriman said:

I actually think we hurt the feelings of the mesher, Patch saying he walks amongst us too or words to that effect. I might be wrong, but the images the Mole provided with his design choices were clearly the same style as someone who gives a lot of help on the forums in his normal account, and someone whom I always read with a lot of respect.

No, that's not possible. I have to remind you of something Patch said:

On 6/27/2018 at 4:36 PM, Patch Linden said:

I have yet to see or have any one suggest to us how you would use your masterful expertise to do any of this differently.

Nobody who are even vaguely familiar with what goes on in the Mesh and Building and Texturing forums would have dreamed of saying something like that, not even in a rage. It's so far from the truth it doesn't even work as an insult.

I also have to point out that the Moles are very good and very considerate content creators in all other respects. They're not the kind of people who would try to fake it, they were always doing their best.

Then there is Linden Lab's consitent policy of pushing forth mesh makers with very limited skills as the examples to follow. I think that says a lot too.

What it says, is that Linden Lab genuinely believed what they produced was the best that could possibly achieved with mesh in Second Life. It must have been a huge shock for them to realize how far behind they actually were.

Judging by the Haunted Campsite they seem to know better now and have already taken the first small step to correct the situation. They still have a long way to go and I think they've made it clear they want to walk it alone and don't need any help or advice from outsiders. So all we can do, is hope for the best and wish them good luck.

• Thanks 1

Wow ChinRey! I hope you feel proud of how you've contributed to the improvement of Second Life, evidenced by this most recent example plus all the time you've spent helping meshers on forum threads.
Now if you could just get a little money for it too :( Perhaps we should set up a GOFUNDME...

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Are you referring to the houses, etc. as shown in Patch’s picture?

I haven't actually followed that thread at all. When the Horizons was under development, I used a secret trick (an ancient, archaic technique known as "Looking At The Map") to give the impression I knew more than anybody else. That was fun but this time it seems others have figured out the trick too so I guess I don't have much to contribute.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2181 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.