Coming Soon!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1890 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

33 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Thank goodness! The sky not just the planets, right? I didn’t see controls for that.

The sun and moon can travel in any direction and be any sizeand intensity. Being done with frames of variable length inside the day cycle I believe (untested) they can also do silly things like reverse direction or do zig zags. The clouds are movable in speed and direction just as now, again a texture to apply on them.

• Like 3

On 10/4/2018 at 8:02 PM, Rider Linden said:

Keep your eyes open, we are continuing to fill out the features that will be available in EEP.

That's lovely! :D

But you know what, the by far biggest and most important upgrade you could do to Windlight would be to tweak the existing default day cycle to get rid of those extremely harsh morning and afternoon shadings. I haven't checked myself but I've heard you already have that in place at Horizons. Are you planning to introduce that gridwide too?

On 10/8/2018 at 3:12 PM, ChinRey said:

But you know what, the by far biggest and most important upgrade you could do to Windlight would be to tweak the existing default day cycle to get rid of those extremely harsh morning and afternoon shadings. I haven't checked myself but I've heard you already have that in place at Horizons. Are you planning to introduce that gridwide too?

I explored a bit the Horizons regions. Windlight and day cycle settings look pretty nice and interesting. Transition from sunrise to daylight goes nicely without harsh shadings. The same applies to transition from daylight to sunset and to night. And the skin of the avatar looks good at any time of the day cycle. Well done.

I saw this in http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Horizons Eos/222/49/23 region. I don't know is the this same Windlight used in all Horizons regions.

On 10/8/2018 at 5:12 AM, ChinRey said:

I'm not sure there is anything to fix... in the WL system, in that regard. 

WL has a day cycle and the default isn't the prettiest. But, anyone can currently make their own sunrise settings for their day-cycle. So, if I understand you, this is more a user problem, as in land owner user, than a needed change to the WL system.

No matter how the Lindens tweak the defaults, some aren't going to like the settings.

• Like 1

planets.gif

On 10/5/2018 at 9:14 PM, Love Zhaoying said:

Only static, correct?

Yes... you can set motion using the day cycle option, and have textures used for the Sun or Moon blend as they move between day cycle frames - see the same gif of Mars transforming into Jupiter and back, above - zig-zag to also show movement across sky possible. Oblateness exaggerated by video recording.

Edited by Inara Pey
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Wow this is exciting!  Another excellent idea in the perpetual evolution of SL, whats happened over at LL in recent years?  I see a lot more lindens out and about, all sorts of awesome upgrades and enhancements in the works, greater community connection focus, and an overall a much more exciting progress oriented footing in the realms.  ...And some thought Sansar would detract, I see it quite the opposite, there is a positive feedback loop that is giving extra energy and drive to both sides, and cross pollination of ideas/devs will continue to flow as well.

This feature is so damn amazeballs tho!... i have used the Firestorm windlight enhancement for a long time, but this feature means everyone can have the immersive artistic impression the creator had in mind while constructing the experience zones.  Environment is so essential in design, and now we can do this per parcel, per sim, per height zone!  Not only that, but it looks nicer, smoother, and enhanced, that I was not expecting and is a great surprise!

The only other possibility in addition to this cool stuff would be a more fine grained control yet, for instance, the basement in a building could use a different lighting scheme than upstairs or outside.  That can really just be done with independent lighting setups, I know, but what if we could, say, set a different windlight inside the water on a mesh lake or pool?  Or the different areas of a building etc.   Not really needed, but im just throwing that out there as a future potential.  

Maybe this could be a new a prim-type that sets an area which can have its own windlight settings for anytime the camera is inside the zone, many games use that trick to simulate being underwater or inside some space, SL does that actually with the linden water based on height of water surface and camera position. 

As an aside... since that reminds me... SL has perfectly working Mirror system already too!  The linden water is not actually transparent, its a mirror on the top and bottom of the surface showing a rendering of what is on the other side, you're not actually looking through it from above or below.  This technique would be excellent for creating Occlusion Zones as I have mentioned elsewhere in the forums, these zones could be fully occluded (not loaded or rendered) but still have windows/vierws showing the outside/inside depending on where you're viewing from.   It could be a window or even a huge screen backdrop, or even used to totally occlude a neighboring sim, yet still be able to see it on the horizon in the distance. lol damn im rambling again! ?

Took the time to mess with it and here are my opinions and thoughts.

1. It would be nice to have more than one moon. Not really high priority though. We could use one moon as shooting star or orbiting space station or more. Or even as next planet passing by in the daycycle.
  2. I know for fact that Windlight use two layers, both using the same cloud texture, to create that changing formation of the visual cloud. It would be nice to be able change those layer's texture, not having to use the same texture for both.
  3. Cloud texture is just grayscale image. Support for color would be nice. It would allow me create nice and lovely "cotton candy" effect in clouds during sunset/rise.
  4. Moon at "zero" brightness is still showing on the sky. This need some work, because it still show full black and white pixels in daylight. It need to be a true "screen" light addition blend mode for the sky.  It also need to be able block out the stars and sun via alpha masking. They just bleed right through it. Not good.
  5. Moon should have light source like the sun. Of course, could always replace the sun with moon texture.  On some sci-fi world, two glowing moons, each in different size and color could make the scene different.  Not sure if it's a technical limitation in Windlight for having one light source in the sky or not. It would be nice to have more than one. Not really high on priority.
  6. Sun/Moon's Position sphere map need user interfacing improvement. It doesn't let you drag the position on a sphere and have them go around the back side.  I would have preferred two simple sliders than this though. It's best to keep it simple.
  7. Split cloud setting from the Sky setting. It should have its own asset. Useful for changing weather and different cloud formations while having same sky setting.
  8. Planetary's Ring would be neat to have for some sci-fi worlds.
  9. Default texture for the sun need alpha channel clean up. It's showing some texture's corners.
  10. Sun and Moon texture does not hide behind the atmosphere's haze at the horizon when setting or rising. It just show right through it.

I didn't get to mess with water and daycycle setting yet. Will review them later on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Lindens
2 hours ago, Vincent Nacon said:

Took the time to mess with it and here are my opinions and thoughts.

You make some very good suggestions.  Please take a few moments and open a few new feature JIRAs. We are still taking suggestions and that is the best way to ensure that yours do not get lost in the sea of post-it notes that litters my desk.

You can access JIRA here.  Try and keep it to one feature per JIRA and prefix the subject with "[EEP]" so that we can filter them correctly in our daily triage. 

• Like 3

On 10/12/2018 at 8:09 AM, Callum Meriman said:

Intestesting effect... I guess that was done with the two planets moving the same way and fading one away?

Not exactly.

• The day cycle is essentially a video time line which can be set to reflect a period of time up to 168 hours (7 days).
  • "Static" sky assets can be created an placed along the desired time line  to reflected desired changes to the time of day - Motion of the Sun / Moon across the sky, changes in the colour / type of cloud, visibility of stars....
  • These sky assets can be thought of as frames within the video.
  • When played back, the day cycle will run through the created time line, and the frames that have been set-up, the EEP code transiting between the frames as smoothly as possible to give the effect of a changing day (or night) cycle. 

So for this gif, I created two static sky assets - one for Mars and one for Jupiter. I then alternated them along the time line, using the tools in the viewer UI to adjust the position of each  image to create the sense of motion across the sky. On playback the EEP code does the rest: it tracks the motion of the images and handles the transitions between the different assets Mars - Jupiter - Mars - Jupiter - Mars, producing the effect seen in the gif. 

It sound complex, but it is actually pretty easy to set-up.

My only critique of the tools is that the means of positioning the Sun and Moon textures. This is achieved using two trackball-like UI elements - one for the Sun (shown in the attached image) and one for the Moon texture. These offer full and free movement of the Sun and Moon textures around the sky (a basic set of movements are arrowed in the image).

While this allows free movement, the toll actually makes it difficult to create the kind of linear movement made by the Sun and Moon is response to the Earth's rotation. This can result in a given Sun / Moon / planet texture wobbling its way across the sky. Sorry, Rider!  

Sun-Moon movement.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Lindens
2 hours ago, Inara Pey said:

While this allows free movement, the toll actually makes it difficult to create the kind of linear movement made by the Sun and Moon is response to the Earth's rotation. This can result in a given Sun / Moon / planet texture wobbling its way across the sky. Sorry, Rider!  

No need to be sorry, I welcome the feedback, that's why we've put the EEP viewer out there for feedback. 

I'd like to keep the trackball in place for most movements. But maybe we can fix the issue with the addition of a pair of controls that can allow for a more precise positioning.  (Azimuth and Altitude perhaps?)  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Unless I’m confusing the different projects, it only works for Experience-enabled parcels. That implies you’d have to accept the Experience to see it. @Rider Linden?

EEP parcel environments work on any parcel as long as it's 128 m2 or larger.
No experience is needed to set or view an EEP parcel environment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Will the Windlight seen on the viewer depend on the avatar's location or the location of their camera?

I'm thinking of the case where an avatar in an area with one Windlight setting cams into an area with a different one. Though, come to think of it, this could be handled to some extent with an experience enabled script.

Also, I'm guessing that attempting to accommodate a broad view of a landscape that includes several different areas with several different Windlight settings would open up a whole new world of pain for anyone trying to implement it.

• Lindens
1 hour ago, KT Kingsley said:

Will the Windlight seen on the viewer depend on the avatar's location or the location of their camera?

In general the Environment will be determined by where the avatar is located (not the camera) 

1 hour ago, KT Kingsley said:

Also, I'm guessing that attempting to accommodate a broad view of a landscape that includes several different areas with several different Windlight settings would open up a whole new world of pain for anyone trying to implement it.

Actually no.  We only show the environment that will apply to the avatar where they are currently standing.  (We don't show multiple at one time)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Rider Linden said:

In general the Environment will be determined by where the avatar is located (not the camera) 

Actually no.  We only show the environment that will apply to the avatar where they are currently standing.  (We don't show multiple at one time)

Oooooh, so if they cam out of the parcel, it doesn’t change. Smart!

6 hours ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

I've noticed when scaling the moon, or other celestial body, stars in the starfield do not seem to be properly occluded by them.

That one's already on the JIRA: BUG-225580 - [EEP] Textures used for Sun, Moon and clouds transit behind stars, should be in front of stars

JIRA filter for all EEP bugs & feature requests: https://jira.secondlife.com/issues/?filter=18255

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1890 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.