The borderline-OCD inventory sorting thread

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1461 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've already written about my inventory-sorting method in a previous thread where someone asked for tips:

The only difference between then and now is that - in my monthly blogger folders - I now append the closing date of the event to the folder name. After each shopping session I always throw out landmarks, notecards, unpacker scripts, unpacking poses (unless it's a good one that I can use elsewhere), and any extraneous items, such as instructions on how to use resize scripts. I create a sub-folder for all the unworn sizes and other gumph such as alpha layers, and file those immediately (and if I have time I also box them up). I then rename the folder to get rid of all those annoying extra characters such as asterisks and brackets, because I like my inventory folders to be in alphabetical order.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well this is how I do mine. 

- Clothing

- Roary's Closet

- Seasonal Special Holiday out fits

- Hair styles ( separate folders for the different creators, I may add a note card with an image if one does not come with the style.)

- Make up

-Jewelry

- Shoe's and Boot's ( again creator folders, with perhaps sub folders indicating what type of shoe or boot. i.e. sneakers, closed toe, open toe, sandals, Boots ( ankle, calf, thigh )  

- Assorted brand or creators of clothing in the next files, I have a few of my favorite with sub files indicating spring, summer, fall, winter. 

Also in the files of the clothing sets I will have outfit folders as another sub folder for quick changes ( out fit folders include, body shape skin hair make up jewelry and the clothing )

So that is the basic idea of how I have my clothing inventory set up. 

• Thanks 2

I have an organised inventory with categories and subcategories that work for me:

! Basic Jupiter -- The items I wear every day, e.g. copies of my system and mesh bodies, mesh head, eyes, body physics, AO, etc. I also have this saved as an outfit with all the necessary HUDs.

Body

• CATWA head ORIGINALS
  • Eyes and eye lashes
  • Maitreya Mesh Body ORIGINALS
  • Omega System Kits
  • Skin Appliers
    • Makeup
      • Eye liners
      • Eye shadows
      • Lips
      • Sets
    • Nails
    • Skins
      • Organised in folders by designer

Then Clothing, which has folders and subfolders. "Outfits" here refers to pieces that came together or were designed to be worn together and don't work well as individual pieces. 

inv-01.PNG.03b2f74b98d7374b964b1a5145417416.PNG

I typically keep purchases in a folder that I rename with a description that makes sense to me. I also add tags in brackets to the folders, not only the creator's name, but also keywords like Christmas or cyberpunk. "CH" means Colour HUD.

inv-02.PNG.1ebde49ecf6e758fd265e0d5571efc60.PNG

I also have a folder for demos and unsorted items and I make a point to go through my purchases weekly so they don't pile up.

That's the gist of it. I apply the same principles to the rest of the my inventory (e.g. home and garden). I'm often tweaking it and it's always evolving so as I buy more of something, it may eventually get its own folder.

Edited by Jupiter Firelyte
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Rather than organize by creator, I organize by type.  Like many of you, I have a complex folder tree for clothing.  Like, Pants\shorts, jeans, slacks; Tops\long sleeve, short sleeve, tank, tube.

I rename individual items.  The naming convention is:  Color and short description - mesh body (if applicable) - Creator.  Example:  Sky Blue lacy LS blouse - AT - DE.  That translates to a pale blue lacy long sleeved blouse for the Maitreya Lara body, from DE Boutique.

My Shoes folder has similar sub-folders:  Shoe Bases, Flats, Heels, Boots.  Within Heels are more sub-folders:  Pumps, Sandals, Platforms and Wedges, Mary Janes, Mules.  In folders that have a lot of SLink/mesh body items, there's a separate folder for all of those.

My Objects folder has the most sub-categories.  Buildings and Parts, Rental Systems, Landscaping, Furniture, Musical Instruments, Tools, Artwork, Vehicles, and many others.  Most folders have their own tree of sub-folders.  In Vehicles there's Boats, Aircraft, Ground Vehicles...and in Aircraft, for example, there's General Aviation, WW II, Jets, Gliders and Ultralights, Helis, Spacecraft, Airships, and so on.

My Textures folder is the worst.  I set out to put all my textures into organizers, but they keep creeping out and cluttering up the folder and I never seem to put them away.

I use Outfits a LOT.  I almost never go into my Clothing folder any more.  When I buy something new that I like, I use that to assemble a complete Outfit, then save it.  My Outfits folder has about ten main sub-folders...things like Casual Pants Outfits, Casual Dresses, Dressy Pants Outfits, Dressier dresses, Cocktail Dresses, Clubbing, Beachwear, Costumes, Formal Wear, Steampunk.  If these folders grow large, there are sub-folders divided by season:  Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, and All Season Wear.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

My Textures folder is the worst.  I set out to put all my textures into organizers, but they keep creeping out and cluttering up the folder and I never seem to put them away.

I'm glad you mentioned textures, Lindal. It gave me the impetus I needed to start archiving all of mine. I have tens of thousands of the things, and I don't really even build anymore in SL! I started with one of the big stores that I used to buy from, and began loading them by set into a fresh copy of my organiser. I then boxed each set up in a backup box (in case some future SL update borks the scripts in the organiser), and finally deleted the original textures.

I only got rid of 1000-ish textures (29 sets in total) but it was satisfying to do :)

I really should give my textures some more attention - I did go back and archive all my snapshots and pictures sent by friends and family, but my building textures are quite a mess. Many of them are just textures I got off of google; but since I've been too lazy to create normal and specular maps for them I don't use them anymore. Besides, many of them aren't seamless which limits their application a lot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I ran out of steam after sorting my clothing folder out. Okay, almost all of my clothing folder, I was too lazy to finish off my KC Couture folder, as I have piles and piles of shoes I've picked up on sale, but everything else is sorted. And the effect has been amazing, it's so much easier to find stuff now, and I've found myself wearing pieces I didn't even know I owned because they were buried before. This actually was worth the effort!

I've moved on to my Body Parts folder, which includes all my appliers, and got that done in bits over the last couple of days. I broke it down like this:

8ab8752a24.png

Originally I had the Appliers and Hairs folders nested inside a master folder, but it seemed like that was creating a pointless click, this is still a manageable list. Same subfolder naming scheme as before, so Creator - What it is - Colour. I only shaved off like 500 elements with this sortout, but it's so much easier to find stuff now, which was the main goal :)

My Animations folder makes me cry. Maybe next week :P

Edited by AyelaNewLife
I did typo

On 10/4/2018 at 11:02 AM, Blush Bravin said:

I tried all kinds of inventory management ideas, but until I started using the CTS Wardrobe nothing really worked for me. I was constantly looking for things and not being able to find them no matter how well organized my inventory was. I had lots and lots of sub folders very much like what many have shown already, but somehow I still found that I didn't really know what I had in my inventory. Getting the CTS and having everything in a visual inventory with amazing sorting features is what finally made my inventory work for me. It's work but I find it's worth every bit of work I put into it.

Buying this was the best SL  purchase I ever made.

I have two reasons for not getting the CTS Inventory system: 

1) For dresses and many 'outfits', I seldom keep anything for a second wear because I just have too much and know that I'll never get back to re-wearing something, thus taking to time to photo the outfit and add it to an inventory location seems pointless.

2) For individual items like under-clothing and top/pant basics and shoes/boots, I'd have to actually take the time to put them all on and take pictures -- and I am ohhh sooooo lazy in that aspect.  

It's too bad that there isn't a way to let someone organize your inventory that wouldn't be against TOS - assuming there was someone that you knew well enough to trust with it.

*sigh*

13 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I truly wish all vendors included the ad texture in their boxes.

You and me both.  I actually dropped a group because the person making the items said it was too time consuming to go back and put the ad into the vendor box.  It was not a free group either.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I truly wish all vendors included the ad texture in their boxes.

My favourite part is when they'll include a landmark and a notecard with contact information and a notecard with social media information and a notecard to tell you to right click -> add the clothing and a landmark for the event you bought it at, but including a copy of the vendor ad texture? No that is too much work.

• Like 5

Lately the ones giving me fits are the ones that include everything mentioned above AND a picture of their own logo, but still no copy of the vendor ad.  A picture of the brand logo is thoroughly useless to just about anyone I know.

Edited by Sandy Schnook
clarity
  • Like 2

I have a related question on the deleting of excess inventory in FS. Say I'd like to delete all of the "unpack" scripts I no longer need. If I search the inventory with the term "unpack" I get not only those scripts but also all of their parent folders appearing in the filtered inventory. That prevents a "shift-click" for highlighting and deleting a whole range of them at once and forces me to "ctrl-click" each one separately which is very time consuming. Is there any way to get ONLY the items and not their folders to appear in the inventory window so as to be able to mass delete with impunity? I couldn't find anything in the inventory options that would let me do this, but maybe I just don't know where to look.

11 hours ago, Sagadin said:

I have a related question on the deleting of excess inventory in FS. Say I'd like to delete all of the "unpack" scripts I no longer need. If I search the inventory with the term "unpack" I get not only those scripts but also all of their parent folders appearing in the filtered inventory. That prevents a "shift-click" for highlighting and deleting a whole range of them at once and forces me to "ctrl-click" each one separately which is very time consuming. Is there any way to get ONLY the items and not their folders to appear in the inventory window so as to be able to mass delete with impunity? I couldn't find anything in the inventory options that would let me do this, but maybe I just don't know where to look.

As far as I know, there is no way to eliminate the folders, regardless of what methods you use to filter.  I tried entering a search term and then even limiting the results to scripts only and the folders are still there.  I'm pretty sure I've never seen them not be there.  ☹️

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Thanks 1

I could go in so much harder when it comes to organizing but right now I fight to keep it simple. 

Body Parts -

-Full Avis

-Mesh Body

-Mesh Head

-Eyes

-Skin

-Tatoos

Other(there is ALWAYS an other folder tossed into ever category just to hid random things.)

Clothes -

Accessories 

-Head

-Face/Ears

-Hands

-Ankles

-Makeup

-Necklaces

-Other

Tops

Bottoms

-Pants

-Skirts

-Shorts

-Omega

-Other

Dresses

Outfits (items that have come with a top and bottom already)

Halloween

Christmas

Hair (this probably should be Body Parts, but..)

Shoes

Other

-Objects

Furniture

Decor

Boxed

Yard

Other

-Animations

AOs

Poses(a terrible, terrible mess)

Dances

Sits

Stands

Other

... I think those are the main areas I use, then there are just random things everywhere in the many 'Other' folders, throughout. Whenever I buy anything new I spend time opening and trying the stuff on and then put it in a somewhat proper place, just to declutter. I also have a hoarding problem, when it comes to group gifts and event gifts and free things.. so I get all these items and rarely remember what everything is, and have not gotten the chance to wear even 50% of everything I have yet. What a shame lol. I'm prepared for any event or occasion but I wouldn't know it, until I dig deep into my inventory and discover things I didn't even know I had. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1461 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.