The borderline-OCD inventory sorting thread

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 424 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I know this is a necro but this is my own thread so it's allowed. Because it is.

My inventory layout has been pretty much fine since I started this thread (even if I've been lax in actually sorting stuff). Clothing is fine, appliers/layers and hairs etc are all fine, landmarks are sorted (even if largely out of date) and notecards just get ritually purged every third full moon. 

But I have no idea how to handle furniture, decor, other objects, and poses. I have a folder with each of those headings, but they are completely unwieldy to the point of uselessness (even after I've subdivided poses into "singles", "single sets" and "couples/groups").

I'd love to steal draw inspiration from your setups for sorting and handling all these non-clothing bits and pieces... because I haven't got a clue.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

unpack (get rid of unpacker scripts) delete (anything actually named 'delete me') posestand (obvious) pose stand (obvious) posing (obvious) adjust (get rid of any pose stands named as 'adjus

My clothing, shoes, hair, jewelry, and accessories are all pretty organized.  My poses are in folders by creator, but I need to change that to organize them by the type of pose -- laying, sitting, jum

Any method of storing information in a hierarchical form is highly personal and relies on how your own brain finds it easiest to locate information within it. So how does a person know how to sto

Posted Images

Not sure if it helps, but I started foldering by names of vendors instead of items. Usually I forget the name of what I bought, but  remember it' s creator or shop where it was bought  instead.

ETA : My inventory is still a huge mess though .. :|

Edited by TDD123
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, TDD123 said:

Not sure if it helps, but I started foldering by names of vendors instead of items. Usually I forget the name of what I bought, but  remember it' s creator or shop where it was bought  instead.

ETA : My inventory is still a huge mess though .. :|

I do something similar. "Creator Name - Name plus Descriptor - Colour/Pack"; eg, "Ayela - Example Clothing - Fatpack". Inside each of these, I have a "Boxes" or "Backup" subfolder and then purge all the sizes I don't and won't need plus landmarks, notecards, unpack scripts etc. It seems to work well... so long as the structure for where to put these folders also works.

• Like 1

Typically I remember neither the creator or the store or the actual item name, for the most part.  So I just make sure that every furniture type item either is named with a valid description that says what type of furniture (couch, chair, bed, cabinet, etc...) or is in a folder named as such.  Ditto with decor -- rename it more appropriately or put it in a properly named folder if I can't rename it.

The hard one for me is poses.  I have them separated into - sits, lays, stands. etc... - but within each of those, they are a mess.  If I'm looking for a pose for a photo shoot, I typically just start randomly trying them from those folders.

My 'Backgrounds & Photo Scenes' folder is also a mess.  Pretty much just everything tossed in with no real organization, so if I want something out of it, it takes tons of time looking through it all.

• Like 1

I have a Home folder with subfolders for buildings, landscaping, furniture, and decor. Each of those subfolders has subfolders. The furniture has folders for each room, and each room has subfolders for types of furniture - chairs, couches, tables, etc. The decor folder has subfolders for lighting, frames, rugs, plants, wall stuff that isn't frames, floor stuff that isn't rugs, and tchotchkes.

Poses... my freaking poses are a mess, though. No idea what to do with them and I have thousands of them. It's a nightmare.

• Like 2

Ung. Never start a generic folder with Adult. - The nightmare of foldering immediately intensified soon as I did. :|

Edited by TDD123
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Beth Macbain said:

I have a Home folder with subfolders for buildings, landscaping, furniture, and decor. Each of those subfolders has subfolders. The furniture has folders for each room, and each room has subfolders for types of furniture - chairs, couches, tables, etc. The decor folder has subfolders for lighting, frames, rugs, plants, wall stuff that isn't frames, floor stuff that isn't rugs, and tchotchkes.

This is what I need to do, though I do have furniture that could go into more than one type of room.  It is probably a close enough break down that it would work. I've not divided my Furniture folder much or my Decor folder (other than separating out rugs & wall pictures into separate folders).  I've made a mental note to break the stuff down a bit more like that - maybe it will help.  My outdoor folder is sub-divided like crazy.

• Like 1

BORDERLINE OCD? 😆😄😀😂🙂😆😂 

That's: B - o - r - d - e - r - l - i - n - e: font size 14, capitals, bold text, grey in colour, underlined, space, capital O capital C capital D, question mark, smiley size 20, smiley size 20, smiley size 20, smiley size 20, smiley size 20, smiley size 20 , smiley size 20

Now, what was the question again pls? 🤔 

Edited by Maryanne Solo
Typo - of course.
  • Haha 3
58 minutes ago, Maryanne Solo said:

BORDERLINE OCD? 😆😄😀😂🙂😆😂 

Now, what was the question again pls? 🤔 

How do you sort your inventory being like that ? :)

Carry on.

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Maryanne Solo said:

My inventory is pretty well sorted lol.
It's only taken ten years!
tyvm :)))

We' re getting closer ...

.. but stil .. HOW is it ogranised ? 

• Haha 1
On 4/23/2020 at 1:24 PM, AyelaNewLife said:

But I have no idea how to handle furniture, decor, other objects, and poses. I have a folder with each of those headings, but they are completely unwieldy to the point of uselessness (even after I've subdivided poses into "singles", "single sets" and "couples/groups").

Put them in a box and push them under the bed. 

• Haha 1

Sorry, I cannot relate.  I frequently wear the same suit for a month!

However, my first thought is, basing your organizational structure on designers is only a good idea if you're some sort of fashion writer.  Assuming you want it organized for actually wearing the stuff in the future, I'd suggest approaching it as follows:

1:  When you go to your closet and ask, "what do I want to wear?" what are all the different answers you might give?  Shorts?  Jeans?  Club wear?  ***** wear?  Bathing suits?  List all of those and create a folder for each.

2:  For each of those (and it's likely different for each) how would you then break down the decision?  For swimsuits, it might be one piece, two piece, and super sexy, for instance.  Shorts might be by color.  List each of those options, and then create a subfolder for each.  You may also want to add a "go to" folder for your absolute favorites in that category that you can use for a quick change without having to look too hard, and perhaps an "obsolete" folder for stuff you cannot bear to trash but will almost certainly never wear again.  Sort of like putting it in the attic in clearly labeled boxes (oh, here's all my old swimsuits, let's see the drek they made in 2011!)

3:  Since designer is important to you, create a subfolder (as you move stuff in) for each designer under each of those 2nd level folders.  Make sure you keep the name consistent for each designer.  Now, if you want to see everything you have for a particular designer, you can just search for that designer, and you'll not only find all their stuff, but, because the folders above each will show up, you'll know what kind of clothing it is, what color (or whatever) that bathing suit is, etc.

4:  If you REALLY want to be OCD, create a subfolder for each designer (you're 4 levels down now) with the year it came out.

This should be infinitely scalable and allow you to easily find what you're looking for quickly.

Now, if you want to talk sorting out thousands of notecards for a library, I'm your guy.

Edited by Tolya Ugajin
seriously, "slit" with the "i" replaced by a "u" is too X rated for SL? What is this, kindergarten?

The way I organize my furniture/decor is similar to Beth's method.

Within my Decor folder, I'll try to subcategorize into subfolders like: books, plants, paintings, etc. If something is a set of various items, it'll just sit in the Decor folder outside of any subfolder.

I do the same with my Furniture folder.

I also have a Furniture & Decor folder for sets that have a mixture of furniture and decor pieces. Subfolders here include: kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, etc.

For poses, most are in subfolders by creator, but what helps me is keeping the ad picture saved on my PC so I can visually browse through poses. Not sure if that's a bit OTT though 😞

My inventory is very organized, with descriptive labels and subfolders 3 to 4 deep. There's clothing with subsections for mesh or not, each one further sectioned into dresses which are further sectioned into sleeveless, short sleeve, long sleeve, formal, cocktail... etc. for tops, bottoms, shoes, wearable thingies, accessories. Body and objects--which is sectioned into landscape, furniture, etc. It is brilliant.

In theory.

In reality I do have those folders and subfolders. A few things are actually in the correct spots. Most everything else is not.  It is a nightmare.

About once a year I claim that "this" is the year to get things in order. I'll spend about a week and make headway, deleting a lot of things along the way and feeling very proud and full of myself, like I need to take a snapshot, print it, and display it on the fridge with a gold star and smiley face.

And then the momentum fails. Shopping continues. One step forward, two steps back.

Effing SL inventory. 

• Like 2

I use CTS Wardrobe, it takes a while to set up but it’s so helpful finding stuff, they have a list of tags you’ve used which is helpful.

I use mine like a catalogue for my store so instead of looking through my inventory for something, I just look for the tag I want like shorts and it shows all the item photos of the shorts. 

• Like 3

ea6ed0d9e6.png

That's my clothing sorting setup. Every time one folder gets too large to use (even with the .Unused subfolder for stuff I'm unlikely to ever wear), I add another category; which is why I have "Jewellry" and "Jewellry, Chokers/Necklaces". And yes, I'm aware that's not how you spell Jewelry/Jewellery.

But replicating this for decor and furniture is hard. And my brain isn't powerful enough for this.

Also; I think I've now got more stuff unsorted but unpacked than sorted.

• Like 2
On 10/4/2018 at 12:02 PM, Blush Bravin said:

I tried all kinds of inventory management ideas, but until I started using the CTS Wardrobe nothing really worked for me

I need to start using mine, I bought it him, quite a while ago...then just used the pose stand 🤣😂

it’s a good time to start now though! 

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I have a few bits here and there that are organized.  

Granted, it is probably less than 10% of my entire inventory.

I have a few bits here and there that are organized too. Sadly, I can't find those bit anymore among the mess. 😋

• Haha 1
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 424 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.