Lag from neighbours

Olivia Rizzo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1401 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Now it has been restarted, I have noticed it has good and bad days and times. And also I have learned from the Linden support that it is restarted every week anyway, so the restart I mentioned above was nothing special.

I feel the problem is unsolved. I suggested in the support ticket that my best option might be to move elsewhere. Although they did not respond directly to my suggestion, they also did not disagree in their reply.

I was redecorating my propery and rezzed a large number of cat tails and a dragonfly rezzer. As soon as i finished my frame rate dropped from its throttled max of 20 to a mind numbing 5. thinking the rezzer caused it i picked it up but nothing happened. turning away from the wetland to talk to my boyfriend, my frame rate went back up. Turning back to the wetland it plunged again. So I picked up all the cat tails and the problem was solved. There were 45 cattail clumps rezzed and each one contained scripts. Thats the first time i had such a clear example of scripted objects in your view causing such a frame rate drop.

And I was gonna blame it on a new neighbor that had some horses rezzed.

1 hour ago, Phorumities said:

I was redecorating my propery and rezzed a large number of cat tails and a dragonfly rezzer. As soon as i finished my frame rate dropped from its throttled max of 20 to a mind numbing 5. thinking the rezzer caused it i picked it up but nothing happened. turning away from the wetland to talk to my boyfriend, my frame rate went back up. Turning back to the wetland it plunged again. So I picked up all the cat tails and the problem was solved. There were 45 cattail clumps rezzed and each one contained scripts. Thats the first time i had such a clear example of scripted objects in your view causing such a frame rate drop.

And I was gonna blame it on a new neighbor that had some horses rezzed.

Now try it with the same cattails and but take the scripts out. I'll bet the framerate drop will be identical.

They must be ADULT cattails. ?

It's not immediately obvious why cattails would be scripted at all. Ages ago, though, I used some particle cattails to save prims, and particle alpha isn't all that cheap to render. Blended alpha might be the problem here, too, although I'm still wondering what the heck those scripts are even doing. Maybe something innocuous like seasonal texture change, but if they're making the cattails wave in the breeze, for example, that would be a case of scripts hurting viewer frame rate.

37 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Now try it with the same cattails and but take the scripts out. I'll bet the framerate drop will be identical.

you are probably right but its hard to believe something just sitting there could affect frame rate so much.

I guess thats what everyone has been talking about regarding poorly optimized content.

• 1 year later...

do an area search which is sub menu of world... blacklist every item which isnt yours. that may help. i have an island. my neighbour puts stupid offshore items which has many scripts. they effect my parcel. so i blacklist his items and problem is solved. but anyone who visits my sim experience same lag. so this solution effects only me. not anyone who visits my place

2 hours ago, konebii said:

which has many scripts. they effect my parcel. so i blacklist his items and problem is solved.

you can blacklist objects, but scripts will still be running and taking scipt time from the sim.. your problem must be something else.

After many years of being the only resident on the Mulhall sim, there is a new neighbor who has placed a platform being used a wall that is close to the boundary line of my parcel.  I have had to return items that were encroaching on my parcel numerous times.  This platform/wall is causing constant lag and crashing issues for me and other visitors.  I understand that it is my neighbor's land and that she can do whatever she likes, but it should not be at the expense of other LOYAL residents. I have been the only resident on this mainland sim for many years with no lag or crashing issues as extreme as this. This wall is not only causing lag and crashing but it is also very unattractive to look at and is causing my parcel to look unattractive as well as unappealing to visitors.  This unpleasant encounter has disrupted my second life experience overall.  PLEASE HELP!

Yesterday, I attempted to send a report abuse ticket while in-world but crashed before I could send it.  I had been logged on for less than 10 minutes before the crash occurred. A ticket for land performance has been sent so I guess we'll wait and see what happens.

• 1 month later...

I want to get Mainland land cuz I don't want to deal with the landlord I want to set up something and forget about it you can't do that on a normal Sim that's another reason why it's so laggy Mainland is used for breeding pets virtual farming and other ***** to people want to run passively for income generation it's a terrible place to live I started 12 years ago on Second Life with my first account and that's how it's been for that whole entire time the mainland it's always been the inferior experience for living in

it doesn't matter what I do to minimize lag it's still going to be terrible I am conscious about others but still the best place to put my farm up is there

buying a full region is too expensive for the privacy I would like to pay for a whole entire year at once I cannot trust a resident of Second Life to honor that agreement for a small parcel 
as long as I pay premium I will always have my property if I go with mainland land 1024 if I pay for a whole year that will cost me only $7 a month if I log on every day even less

also how the script system works only the Sim owner can see how much memory people are using so I don't know how much my neighbors are using so I don't know if I'm the one is pushing it over the edge or not

Edited by MaxSilverDragon

On 5/15/2020 at 6:54 PM, Valerie Volare said:
After many years of being the only resident on the Mulhall sim, there is a new neighbor who has placed a platform being used a wall that is close to the boundary line of my parcel.  I have had to return items that were encroaching on my parcel numerous times.  This platform/wall is causing constant lag and crashing issues for me and other visitors.  I understand that it is my neighbor's land and that she can do whatever she likes, but it should not be at the expense of other LOYAL residents. I have been the only resident on this mainland sim for many years with no lag or crashing issues as extreme as this. This wall is not only causing lag and crashing but it is also very unattractive to look at and is causing my parcel to look unattractive as well as unappealing to visitors.  This unpleasant encounter has disrupted my second life experience overall.  PLEASE HELP!

Yesterday, I attempted to send a report abuse ticket while in-world but crashed before I could send it.  I had been logged on for less than 10 minutes before the crash occurred. A ticket for land performance has been sent so I guess we'll wait and see what happens.

I hope you have it solved now. You can send an abuse report from another region like a sandbox. It is pretty clear to me that this is unfair use of a region's resources.

Everyone is concentrating on scripts here, even the swamp dweller with their cattails.

A much more common cause of perceived lag is textures.  It does not take many 1024 x 1024 textures to lag your viewer noticeably.  If you notice a big change in frame rate depending on which way you are facing, this is probably the culprit.

You can decrease your draw distance, or start de-rendering the most likely culprits.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1401 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.