Need help so I can help

Walelu Summerwind

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2049 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

A good friend of many years has asked me to help him go mesh.. head, body etc. He's giving me free reign to create a new him. I have NO idea about men's mesh bodies or heads. I know what I like to see but don't know creators.

1) Athletic body, not overly muscular.. but not wimpy soy boy looking either (did I offend?... I don't care)

2) Skins make the man, so, he will need a nicely tanned but not orange skin with no creepy harsh defined muscles..I'm thinking defined but normal looking

3) Head.. seems like Catwa is popular, but, that's a given.. ? What are some other good heads that aren't as expensive?

4) Skins for the head that look aged and handsome.

5) Must be creator friendly including Omega.

Anyone care to help me help my friend??? Pleeeeeease? ?

help SL.png

• Like 1

kudos for the pic, but seriously...

drown him in demos, including mesh body addicts for reference, maybe demo egoisme avatars, too, they´re not featured in the MBA list. For skins....I think @Nostoll had a skin like that when he dropped by the Forum Cartel Hangout last week so he could be of help, too 

Remeber to mix and match the demos several times - it helped me a LOT!!! Keep us posted :)

• Thanks 1

First off, if you haven't at least skimmed Skell's The Virtual Bloke page, please do.

My opinions:

1. Your two choices are Gianni or Slink.  Both are good for realism, looking fit and available clothes.
  2. Skins are everywhere.  Try Birth and see what you think.  A lot also depends on ...
  3. Head.  Catwa is the first brand most people think of.  LeLutka has a full bento male head out as well and while ((personal opinion here)) I LOVE LeLutka's HUDs especially over Catwa's, they do not have the options you can get from Catwa.  That said, everyone and their brother has Catwa Daniel head.  So ... maybe take a demo of LeLutka's head and see what you think.
  4. Again, try Birth and see what you think.  That is, if you are going with Catwa.  This is Hades by Birth.  Or just marketplace search for an Omega male skin.
  • Thanks 2

Well, here's my 2 cents:

• Body: Signature Geralt sounds closest to what you describe - however, this body being newer than Gianni, not all creators have caught up in supporting it. Strangely, the body also still has fewer alpha options than Gianni. 
  • Skins are like paintings - what one enjoys, others might not. I've never really looked into that 'aged' look, but I -think- I saw something like it over at Stray Dog.
  • I like Catwa, and sure, coughing up L$5,000 may feel painful but - get a good head and it'll stick with you for a while. Heck, when I grabbed my head I didn't even know there were options (my ex just pointed at it and told me to get it). Had I been looking today, I probably wouldn't have picked the Shaheen - but, I think I've made it work decently?
  • Skins again - I would suggest getting a skin which's creator support both the specific head and body. Quality skins generally do support the 'popular' brands of both bodies and heads, as well as omega.
  • Demo everything, demo the demo heads with the demo skins, demo the demo bodies with the demo skins. Everything must be demo'd. DEMO MUSS SEIN.
  • Like 3

You guys are great! ? I had a feeling I could trust Laya to get my message out to all you groovy people. Now the real work starts. Wish I wasn't such a perfectionist. By the time I get my friends act together, I be even more crazy and nitpicky. Time to compile a list and start looking on MP for demos. Thanks!

I'm looking at Skell's "Virtual Bloke" and I'm lovin' what I'm seein'! Thank's Rhonda!

Edited by Walelu Summerwind
duhhhhh

I would suggest trying Signature Gianni as well as Geralt - Gianni has more content as 'most' creators rig for it these days; and you can easily just move down the muscle sliders for a sleeker look.

1 minute ago, Walelu Summerwind said:

You guys are great! ? I had a feeling I could trust Laya to get my message out to all you groovy people. Now the real work starts. Wish I wasn't such a perfectionist. By the time I get my friends act together, I be even more crazy and nitpicky. Time to compile a list and start looking on MP for demos. Thanks!

if you need more help and eyes just call out a party at the Forum Cartel Hangout^^ and yes seriously... lists help ;)

Like I did a spread with 5 boxes behind each skin I liked with the head and my "bentoed" version of my shape and I wore them 5 times - the one that made it to 5 checked boxes was the one I bought (if the budget is bigger than mine - 1 body, 1 head, 1 skin^^ - feel free to buy 2-3 winners^^)

image.thumb.png.3f5de42fe4687962d6231948129860fc.png

image.thumb.png.12b79dbf9a1b39613a676ac577ae1e42.png

(in the end Moirah won and was just recently replaced with Jenny when they released the new skintones)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My opinion, I prefer Belleza Jake body.

I have Catwa heads on all my male alts, simply because many great skin creators don't make Omega or any other appliers.

I would say that you should look at skins - male skins on the Marketplace and see if you find a face you like first, and what appliers is made for it.

While you can find body appliers all over, it is a whole different world for male mesh heads. And Catwa is more than the Daniel head. Skell, Victor, Stanley, Shaheen and Dino. Shaheen head, is shown here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewisluminos/40943799302/in/dateposted/

If you love this skin, but you already bought a head from another creator you are out of luck, because that skin is only legit available for Catwa. There are some stolen skins with Omega appliers on the MP, they don't have a demo, the stores sell a lot of skins around 100-200L from many different brands - the sellers and the brand names does not match.

Edited by Marianne Little

1 hour ago, Marianne Little said:

I concur with this wholeheartedly.

I've only seen a *very few* Aesthetic avatars that were any decent-looking (they changed their head and they 'toned-down' the shape") - can still be a little creepy-looking, though. The Giani looks pretty good, except I can't get past the nipples seeming like they are in the wrong place. The Adam isn't bad if you can find a decent head. The Jake with most heads just looks realistic to me (I have a few man-friends who have many of these and I always vote for Belleza Jake).

Of course, the skin will also play a *major* role in the overall look. And also important: matching the skin color of man-bits. Bahaha!

I don't have a male alt, but have been kicking it around in my mind and have already decided if I do it I will go with Jake (I've already done rhetorical shopping for outfits - lots to be had). I'd love to have a Genus Project head, but nothing for men just yet. So I'd probably go with a Catwa (for the value of it and the variety of choice).

Edited by Alyona Su

On 9/25/2018 at 11:29 PM, Walelu Summerwind said:

A good friend of many years has asked me to help him go mesh.. head, body etc. He's giving me free reign to create a new him. I have NO idea about men's mesh bodies or heads. I know what I like to see but don't know creators.

1) Athletic body, not overly muscular.. but not wimpy soy boy looking either (did I offend?... I don't care)

2) Skins make the man, so, he will need a nicely tanned but not orange skin with no creepy harsh defined muscles..I'm thinking defined but normal looking

3) Head.. seems like Catwa is popular, but, that's a given.. ? What are some other good heads that aren't as expensive?

4) Skins for the head that look aged and handsome.

5) Must be creator friendly including Omega.

Anyone care to help me help my friend??? Pleeeeeease? ?

help SL.png

1) I can recommend Belleza Jake over Signature Gianni or Gerald, but what I hate on Gerald is the alpha that different from Gianni.  It makes you can't alpha on open shirt.

2)You can check on Stray Dog and Birth. Those 2 are my favourite

3) While female's head is more variant because of omega, male is different. Mostly on male's head skin applier, like Stray Dog and Birth, majority using catwa applier.

4) Same as number 3

Edited by elixdude

21 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

While the body is great and all, I still have PTSD from trying to fix the neck seams between Jake and any Catwa head. A friend of mine actually bought her partner Gianni for photos rather than deal with that mess. It's not really the skin creator's fault, it's just the way Belleza decided to make their mesh bodies (ie ignore the market and just go for max triangles, who cares about the consequences!). Of course, it's totally fine to not care about something that niche.

I'd advise your friend to try out a Jake and a Gianni demo, and see which one he can get a shape he prefers out of.

3 hours ago, AyelaNewLife said:

While the body is great and all, I still have PTSD from trying to fix the neck seams between Jake and any Catwa head.

It could be a shape issue. The friends I've seen with that combination have (practically-speaking) zero seam. Though it also could be choice of skin and body materials settings (if using materials on the body or head or both then there always will be a seam, no matter what).

And if you get Post Traumatic Stress Disorder from neck-seams it may be time to reevaluate your priorities in terms of time spent in SL. Just saying.

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2049 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.