You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2058 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just putting some feelers out there...

Would people actually be interested in taking part in a Comicon in SL? 

Like traditional Comicon..... dress up as your favorite comic book character, gamer character, anime character....

Maybe check out a live band...

Take part in a best costume contest....

Maybe game a little??? 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Glad Kidd said:

Just putting some feelers out there...

Would people actually be interested in taking part in a Comicon in SL? 

Like traditional Comicon..... dress up as your favorite comic book character, gamer character, anime character....

Maybe check out a live band...

Take part in a best costume contest....

Maybe game a little??? 

Could be fun, but give it another name, Comicon might be trademarked.

I love this idea, and I hope other people toss in some samples in the way of pictures. Can you allow movie characters at a Comicon? This is my favorite costume by far. It was way pre-mesh and the gadgets were scripted within an inch of their lives (lights on the Proton Pack blinked on and off, etc) but I had so-o-o much fun with it.

ghostbuster.PNG

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dillon Levenque said:

I love this idea, and I hope other people toss in some samples in the way of pictures. Can you allow movie characters at a Comicon? This is my favorite costume by far. It was way pre-mesh and the gadgets were scripted within an inch of their lives (lights on the Proton Pack blinked on and off, etc) but I had so-o-o much fun with it.

ghostbuster.PNG

I don’t see why not!! ?

• Like 1

I have very little imagination and no creativity skills whatsoever, thus my favorite part of DragonCon is simply sitting at the hotel bar, sipping on whatever my latest fancy is, and watching everyone wander by.  I am always in total awe at what people can come up with and how authentic they look.

I could do that here in SL too.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Haha 2

Would be fun if the costume contest had rules because otherwise people would tp there with a full ripped mesh game avatar. But I'd love to see people discussing games, watching streams or even making some SL "built in" games competition.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Glad Kidd said:

What if I were to get permission from the owners of the trademark? Do you think linden labs would have a problem with it? 

linden labs? Might not. Linden Lab might. 

But yes if all ripped stuff was banned would be very Second Life ;) I'm game.

• Like 1

Id love some input on guidelines for a costume contest. I hate when a contest is either won by the highest bidder (deepest pockets) or votes due to popularity (TP in real quick and vote for me). 

And SL Built in games?? Do tell??

9 hours ago, Glad Kidd said:

I feel like it’s one of those “If you build it, they will come” moments. 

Building it will be nothing next to organizing and promoting it. Just making a place and expecting people to showup and make their own fun has never been a thing in SL

Comicon is a trademark, you will absolutely have to name it something else. No Comixcon wouldn't be allowed, etc.. Changing one letter doesn't get you off the hook.

The pop culture nature of a "comic con" pretty much means you will have to fully welcome people showing up dressed as characters from franchises they may not have rights to, same for vendors .. if you get into policing then you're accepting responsibility. You could insist on original mesh .. but there is then nothing stopping someone from making an original representation of TRADE_MARKED_CHARACTER and you just have to assume they sorted out the rights issues themselves. Innocent until DMCA and all that.

Most franchises tend to leave fan made stuff alone, most of the time .. till the moment they don't. However it is up to them to enforce their ownership, not you and not anyone else on this forum.

We don't have to like it, but we can't file a DMCA on anyone's behalf.

5 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Most franchises tend to leave fan made stuff alone, most of the time .. till the moment they don't.

Yup. I've even seen cosplay photos, shot at Comicons, vanish from DeviantArt due to DMCA threats by the movie/anime/comic makers who created the original character performed, so there's a chance that the same might happen at a Comicon (or whatever the inworld name might be then) within SL.

?

• Thanks 1

On 8/21/2018 at 10:39 PM, Glad Kidd said:

What if I were to get permission from the owners of the trademark? Do you think linden labs would have a problem with it? 

You wouldn't get permission.....or if on the 0.000001% chance you did they would charge you a butt load of cash for simply using the name. But to give you a idea on how successful you would be....they sued someone only months ago for using the name Comic-Con in their convention name.  Just call it something else. It doesn't HAVE to be Comic-Con. Alternatives could be Avi-Con, Ani-Con, Animazed, Comikaze etc etc be creative and think up something unique to suit your con instead of subscribing specifically to Comic-Con as a brand.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how well the term "ComicCon" is protected. Like...is it really trade marked? There are a ton of conventions arouns the world, that have ComicCon in their name and they are definitily not in any contact with one US convention claiming the title.

On 8/22/2018 at 1:47 PM, ThorinII said:

Yup. I've even seen cosplay photos, shot at Comicons, vanish from DeviantArt due to DMCA threats by the movie/anime/comic makers who created the original character performed, so there's a chance that the same might happen at a Comicon (or whatever the inworld name might be then) within SL.

?

First time I hear about this. Usually, companies are very supportive of people dressing up, because it is free advertisement for them and those people are fans of their products (and a company always wants to foster long-time consumership and an emotional connection to the product and company). I've seen many people getting hired with ther costumes by companies to enchance their booth at conventions, even asked to specifically make a costume for them (and paid well for all of that). Among game studios its not uncommon anymore to even aim at providing good reference material to those willing to make costumes of characters from the games.

SL however will likely be seen differently, in terms of copyright.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Syo Emerald said:

First time I hear about this. Usually, companies are very supportive of people dressing up, because it is free advertisement for them and those people are fans of their products

Did you hear that recently LL sent C&D letters out to SL bloggers including Strawberry Singh?
Same sort of thing.  Web bots making sweeps looking for trademark use.

1 hour ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Did you hear that recently LL sent C&D letters out to SL bloggers including Strawberry Singh?
Same sort of thing.  Web bots making sweeps looking for trademark use.

Didn't they apologize for this, after it became public?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2058 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.