Jump to content
Prokofy Neva

Is This Summer's Sales Slump Worse Than Usual?

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Chic Aeon said:

No sales. No group. No gifts. No hunts :D

I had a very good gacha event round and also did very well at Cosmo and selling more than usual on the Marketplace. 

It "may" be (I only have a hunch about this) that the MARKETPLACE sales were from Sansar folks buying my stuff HERE that they saw THERE since I sold a lot of those items, more than usual. Other than that -- no clue. Kitely is also doing very  well.  That doesn't account for other sales. Store sales are also better than they have been in awhile. 

 

I admire you for having just the product, no hunts, not gifts, etc. -- I think this just tires creators out and harms them.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

The SL population isn't split evenly between "halves of the world," however. The overwhelming majority of repeat log-ons come from the North America and Western Europe. 

And you have this info from where?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/24/2018 at 8:06 PM, Drake1 Nightfire said:

And you have this info from where?

The Lindens, when they reported this information. Also common sense. Also my own tenants, where I get a huge cross section.

I realize you like to be contrarian, but you have no data at all to back up a challenge to an obvious common-sense point like this. The log-ons from Asia are significant, but not "half". There are some but not a lot from Middle East. Again, use common sense and logic and look up the information instead of needlessly refuting obvious points.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/24/2018 at 5:06 PM, Drake1 Nightfire said:

And you have this info from where?

Published officially many times over the years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Published officially many times over the years. 

And no longer published.

Any assumptions or guesses made from the time they ceased to publish said information are just that: Assumptions and guesses.

Honestly, that information should not have been made viewable by the general userbase to begin with.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

August and December have traditionally (twelve years) been the slowest months in SL. Whether that is because people are out enjoying their summer or safe and warm under blankets in the snow -- it REALLY DOESN'T MATTER.  

Those statistics are solid and you can ask most any content creator. I just happened to have been very lucky THIS AUGUST. Most have not been this good. 

So really, what IS your point?  Aside from hearing yourself talk LOL.

 

Whatever!

 

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With this move, it is my fervent hope that the Lindens will go back to publicizing the names of the auction winners and all those who bid. LL did that at one time, and it was a deterrent of sorts to major flooding of the auctions to drive up prices. To be sure, it is only a social constraint in that people can ostracize companies that do that, but it's something.

They do. Just refresh the auctioned off parcel in your browser shortly after the auction ends and you'll see who owns the parcel. It will be the winner of the auction.

I guarantee though that the people that want to hide their identities will just create alts and whatnot to bid in their place so that you don't really know if it's one of the big land companies or not.

It really seems stupid to me that those land companies charge tons of money for their land just because they need to make up for losses on tier. It would make a lot more sense to set the price at a reasonable level so you can get rid of it and not accumulate tier costs. They'd even be better off cutting their losses and letting the property sell if even at a loss. Maybe they get some kind of macho pride boost by being the owner of vast swathes of land. Who knows?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd think that was obvious: It does not matter what your data says, what the Raven one's data says or what any user's data says - no one has all of the data and can thus only make assumptions/conjecture.

What may be a bad time for one may not be for another and no user has access to all of the data - as it should be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Hintswen Guardian said:

Seems worse than usual to me. It's actually so bad that I'm currently offering 2 of my rentals below cost.

I did the same on a limited offer.  It's working.  You just do what you have to, I suppose :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

I did the same on a limited offer.  It's working.  You just do what you have to, I suppose :)

Well hopefully it works for me too... if it does, I might end up offering a few more below cost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Nargron said:

 

 

They do. Just refresh the auctioned off parcel in your browser shortly after the auction ends and you'll see who owns the parcel. It will be the winner of the auction.

I guarantee though that the people that want to hide their identities will just create alts and whatnot to bid in their place so that you don't really know if it's one of the big land companies or not.

It really seems stupid to me that those land companies charge tons of money for their land just because they need to make up for losses on tier. It would make a lot more sense to set the price at a reasonable level so you can get rid of it and not accumulate tier costs. They'd even be better off cutting their losses and letting the property sell if even at a loss. Maybe they get some kind of macho pride boost by being the owner of vast swathes of land. Who knows?

_________

i would think turnover is the key to success in the land flipping business, buy it for 1 L per sqm sell it for 3, and just keep doing it over and over. but no 200% profit isn't enough for most of them they want 500% or 1000% so of course the land sits unsold and the tier eats up the profit. i was talking to one flipper who explained how he was able to stiff LL on the tier for whole sims. He was eventually caught and sent a bill for what he owed. of course he's back in SL on yet another alt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

The Lindens, when they reported this information. Also common sense. Also my own tenants, where I get a huge cross section.

I realize you like to be contrarian, but you have no data at all to back up a challenge to an obvious common-sense point like this. The log-ons from Asia are significant, but not "half". There are some but not a lot from Middle East. Again, use common sense and logic and look up the information instead of needlessly refuting obvious points.

They stopped publishing that info years ago.. 
Common sense?!? Why would it be common sense that Australia, South America and the rest of the southern hemisphere wouldn't have just as many users as the northern?
Your own tenants.. You ever think that an English speaking Landlord might just attract English as a first language  speaking tenants? Yup HUGE cross section of SL. Uge. Bigly even... You sound a lot like another blowhard. Ask for info to back up a statement end get hot air. "dont you worry, i have HUGE statistics to back up my claim. You cant see them, but they are UGE!!!"

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

They stopped publishing that info years ago.. 
Common sense?!? Why would it be common sense that Australia, South America and the rest of the southern hemisphere wouldn't have just as many users as the northern?
Your own tenants.. You ever think that an English speaking Landlord might just attract English as a first language  speaking tenants? Yup HUGE cross section of SL. Uge. Bigly even... You sound a lot like another blowhard. Ask for info to back up a statement end get hot air. "dont you worry, i have HUGE statistics to back up my claim. You cant see them, but they are UGE!!!"

 

Heh I know a large portion of my tenants don't speak English or know English as a second language. I have even had tenants bring a friend to translate for them before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/27/2018 at 10:12 PM, Drake1 Nightfire said:

They stopped publishing that info years ago.. 
Common sense?!? Why would it be common sense that Australia, South America and the rest of the southern hemisphere wouldn't have just as many users as the northern?
 

Because almost 90% of the world's population lives in the Northern Hemisphere?

https://sciencing.com/differences-between-northern-southern-hemisphere-8260091.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/24/2018 at 1:21 PM, Prokofy Neva said:

No, because even if the flooders make a series of alts for the auctions, if they want brand recognition and advertising inworld, they have to use a persistent name to sell the land, so you would still see ultimately who the seller is. It's also trivial to research alts in this manner, too. The Lindens publicized the names before, you could readily see the patterns, and draw your own conclusions, and that's a good thing.

I don't have any issue with LL posting the names of auctions winners. I just think it's pointless. Those who want to remain anonymous will do so. It's very easy to do so in fact. So, it's wasted effort when Lindens could use the time toward much better activities.

On 8/27/2018 at 7:52 AM, Garnet Psaltery said:

I did the same on a limited offer.  It's working.  You just do what you have to, I suppose :)

I think those in the rental business might need to rethink their strategies. With the increased tier allotment for premium members and increased prims, it's never been more attractive to own your own little piece of SL rather than renting.

Edited by Blush Bravin
changed from "mainland" to "rentals" to be more inclusive

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

I think those who rent mainland might need to rethink their strategies. With the increased tier allotment for premium members and increased prims, it's never been more attractive to own your own little piece of SL rather than renting.

Possibly, though I haven't any mainland so I don't know why you quoted me.

Edited by Garnet Psaltery

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Because almost 90% of the world's population lives in the Northern Hemisphere?

https://sciencing.com/differences-between-northern-southern-hemisphere-8260091.html

So 90% of the world's population is in the northern hemisphere?  so it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect that 90% of logins are from the northern Hemisphere too. That should be the end of it, but no, that doesn't work for some people, it simply isn't fair that north and south are not evenly represented, and they will whine and cry until everyone gives up and says whatever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

Possibly, though I haven't any mainland so I don't know why you quoted me.

My mistake, when you said you had to reduce rentals I assumed you were talking mainland. In any case, I think it applies to mainland or estates. I corrected the wording to be accurate. :)

Edited by Blush Bravin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Phorumities said:

So 90% of the world's population is in the northern hemisphere?  so it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect that 90% of logins are from the northern Hemisphere too. That should be the end of it, but no, that doesn't work for some people, it simply isn't fair that north and south are not evenly represented, and they will whine and cry until everyone gives up and says whatever.

Indeed - the South tends to be quite melodramatic and has a distorted sense of its own worth, doesn't it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

My mistake, when you said you had to reduce rentals I assumed you were talking mainland. In any case, I think it applies to mainland or estates. I corrected the wording to be accurate. :)

Right, though the point you're making is only applicable to mainland renters.  You're talking about the effect of increased tier and prim allowance, which doesn't apply on private estates.  It might be more attractive to a renter to consider buying an estate, but it will be a small number.   I really don't know what difference those increases will make to estate owners by way of their own rental numbers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

Right, though the point you're making is only applicable to mainland renters.  You're talking about the effect of increased tier and prim allowance, which doesn't apply on private estates.  It might be more attractive to a renter to consider buying an estate, but it will be a small number.   I really don't know what difference those increases will make to estate owners by way of their own rental numbers.

What I mean is that with premium accounts buying mainland is now more attractive and that may attract some who had only rented previously. So it could pull renters away from those who own estates as rental properties. But that would also apply to those who own mainland as rental properties.

Edited by Blush Bravin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...