Is This Summer's Sales Slump Worse Than Usual?

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2023 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

What I mean is that with premium accounts buying mainland is now more attractive and that may attract some who had only rented previously. So it could pull renters away from those who own estates as rental properties. But that would also apply to those who own mainland as rental properties.

Well most of my mainland quarter sim rental that I left in March for a "free" group parcel is still empty and it was a great location on a linden road with water.  So yes the land changes are making changes for sure.    

21 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

What I mean is that with premium accounts buying mainland is now more attractive and that may attract some who had only rented previously. So it could pull renters away from those who own estates as rental properties. But that would also apply to those who own mainland as rental properties.

I see, yes, it could for those renting 1024sqm.  I have seen a fair number of that size on estates.

3 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

I see, yes, it could for those renting 1024sqm.  I have seen a fair number of that size on estates.

I've been hearing people in group chat saying that they are considering a second premium account so that they can get 2048. If they do that I think it will really impact private rentals since there are lots of that size being rented. There's been renewed interest in premium. People are asking about it. Some are rather shocked when they see what they can get for the money and how if they don't spend that stipend they can basically get back most of what they would have spent or purchased as additional lindens for shopping money.

24 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

I've been hearing people in group chat saying that they are considering a second premium account so that they can get 2048. If they do that I think it will really impact private rentals since there are lots of that size being rented. There's been renewed interest in premium. People are asking about it. Some are rather shocked when they see what they can get for the money and how if they don't spend that stipend they can basically get back most of what they would have spent or purchased as additional lindens for shopping money.

Don't spend that stipend.  Good advice, but I never listen :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Because almost 90% of the world's population lives in the Northern Hemisphere?

https://sciencing.com/differences-between-northern-southern-hemisphere-8260091.html

Except that most of Asia doesnt have electricity much less internet to use SL. The original statement he made was North America and Western Europe are the main users of SL. That was my issue. Australia, Japan, Eastern Europe and the rest of the world have plenty of users. 

My statement still stands.. If its a slump for you, it is. There were several people saying it wasnt a slump for them. Absolute statements are inherently flawed. Someone will prove to be the exception to the rule. The better question would have been: Are you having a sales slump and is it worse this year? 

18 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

My statement still stands.. If its a slump for you, it is. There were several people saying it wasnt a slump for them. Absolute statements are inherently flawed. Someone will prove to be the exception to the rule. The better question would have been: Are you having a sales slump and is it worse this year? 

Did it ever occur to you that the question was directed toward those who are indeed experiencing summer now and how that has impacted their business? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

Did it ever occur to you that the question was directed toward those who are indeed experiencing summer now and how that has impacted their business? 

Seeing as my first post was indded about how the summer hasnt impacted my sales negatively, yes that occurred to me. Did it ever occur to you that not every merchant is having a slump? The idea that people in the northern hemispheres vanish from SL over the summer simply because the weather is nicer is stupid. More and more people are taking technology with them on vacations. Also, who vacations for the whole summer? Even most teachers get summer jobs to make ends meet. The idea that there is slump in sales simply due to seasons in this day and age is foolish. 

1 minute ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Seeing as my first post was indded about how the summer hasnt impacted my sales negatively, yes that occurred to me. Did it ever occur to you that not every merchant is having a slump? The idea that people in the northern hemispheres vanish from SL over the summer simply because the weather is nicer is stupid. More and more people are taking technology with them on vacations. Also, who vacations for the whole summer? Even most teachers get summer jobs to make ends meet. The idea that there is slump in sales simply due to seasons in this day and age is foolish. 

I'm not having a slump either. That wasn't my point. I don't know why you have to pick things apart rather than just answer the OPs question. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

I'm not having a slump either. That wasn't my point. I don't know why you have to pick things apart rather than just answer the OPs question. 

Over the last decade there has been a repeated "slump" in sales both in summer and at Christmas (so summer for some other folks).  The OP aksed "was this one worse".  So yes, answering the question asked is time better spent - agreed.

I had an OK July but August was a typical sales month (as in Sept Oct March etc traditionally) and I was very happy about that. Again, no group, no sales, no gifts, no hunts.  But there are tons of factors that work into sales.  And TRADITIONALLY summer is a low sales month for me.  

16 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Except that most of Asia doesnt have electricity much less internet to use SL. The original statement he made was North America and Western Europe are the main users of SL. That was my issue. Australia, Japan, Eastern Europe and the rest of the world have plenty of users. 

It seems like all I ever see nowadays is Japanese people on SL! Just wish I could speak it :(

On 9/9/2018 at 12:23 PM, Blush Bravin said:

I think those in the rental business might need to rethink their strategies. With the increased tier allotment for premium members and increased prims, it's never been more attractive to own your own little piece of SL rather than renting.

Since I have the option for people to donate tier to the group in lieu of paying cash for rent -- and they get a better deal than Linden Homes -- the increase in tier has only given me more customers and/or existing customers who took more rentals. I still see that most of the people who leave a rental do so because either RL calls or they are having technical frustrations with SL. And often those who leave come back.

• Haha 1

On 9/9/2018 at 2:59 PM, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Except...there is, and the statistics of the LindEx and so on bear this out -- which used to be more visible but are still detectable. Just look at the map.

Most of the users are in North America. It's not about there not being "plenty" of Asians and Latin Americans. It's about them not being the largest category and their summer not being at issue. The end.

Summer means not just vacation, but going outdoors more and doing sports or having barbecues even at home or a nearby park.

There's nothing foolish about reality; what's foolish is being contrarian when there are so many indicators.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Since I have the option for people to donate tier to the group in lieu of paying cash for rent -- and they get a better deal than Linden Homes

I'd rather purchase my own mainland parcel than pay rent. That way if I decide to move I can get my purchase price back or make a profit, which has been my circumstance in nearly all the land I've sold upon leaving to buy a better parcel. Call me a control freak, but I'd rather control my land and pay LL directly rather to pay a middle man.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Except...there is, and the statistics of the LindEx and so on bear this out -- which used to be more visible but are still detectable. Just look at the map.

What map? Please post said map for us to see.

Most of the users are in North America. It's not about there not being "plenty" of Asians and Latin Americans. It's about them not being the largest category and their summer not being at issue. The end.

Again, please link or post the data you are using for these "facts."

Summer means not just vacation, but going outdoors more and doing sports or having barbecues even at home or a nearby park.

Ah yes yes, the massive group of extroverted SL users that cant wait for summer so they can finally leave their homes and see the great outdoors. If North America is the largest userbase for SL, why do you think they have to wait for summer to go outdoors? There are at least 25 US states alone that have warm weather year round. Are you saying they dont leave their houses unless its summer? 

There's nothing foolish about reality; what's foolish is being contrarian when there are so many indicators.

There are just as many indicators that you are full of hot air.. You just said.. 

Since I have the option for people to donate tier to the group in lieu of paying cash for rent -- and they get a better deal than Linden Homes -- the increase in tier has only given me more customers and/or existing customers who took more rentals. I still see that most of the people who leave a rental do so because either RL calls or they are having technical frustrations with SL. And often those who leave come back.

Would that not mean you have had MORE business this summer? Where is this slump you speak of?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

That way if I decide to move I can get my purchase price back or make a profit

I agree that has often happened in the past, but with all the new land coming onto the grid I have my doubts about getting your original price back in some cases --- even if you are a savvy buyer.  I have watched land near me drop in price until sold -- for less than what they purchased for (assuming they bought at the listed price).  Then again they could up the free tier allotment again to balance that out. It certainly worked last time :D. 

I don't like having to remember that rental box part of the equation though.  Happily I have had very good luck when renting but I am happier not having to worry about that. And if you buy land fairly cheaply and stay a long while any loss amortizes to be very little.  

• Like 1

On 9/11/2018 at 1:18 AM, Drake1 Nightfire said:

What map? Please post said map for us to see.

Again, please link or post the data you are using for these "facts."

Ah yes yes, the massive group of extroverted SL users that cant wait for summer so they can finally leave their homes and see the great outdoors. If North America is the largest userbase for SL, why do you think they have to wait for summer to go outdoors? There are at least 25 US states alone that have warm weather year round. Are you saying they dont leave their houses unless its summer? 

There are just as many indicators that you are full of hot air.. You just said.. 

Would that not mean you have had MORE business this summer? Where is this slump you speak of?

I realize it is "the game" for some to be contrarian on the forums.

"Look at the map" means..."look at the map". Look at the green dots present during prime time in the US, let's say 9 pm, and compare and contrast for what would be 9 pm in London or Seoul. That is all. Then you won't keep arguing, as the pile-up of green dots will prove it to you. The Lindens used to release log-on information, and it was clear then. They don't know, but the map's green dots will tell you this.

A statement like "there are at least 25 US states that have warm weather year round" as an argument against the perfectly normal, common-sense and demonstrable claim that in the summer, people go outside is absurd on the face of it. First of all, it's only half the states. But more to the point, different US states are not on different school and vacation schedules. When it is February, all kids all over the US are in school and most tend not to take an annual vacation then (some take a winter vacation if they are in a very cold state but it's not the majority). It's not like in the US, in Texas there is a different school calendar than Alaska. The calendar will not vary by more than a week. By the same token, people take vacations from offices in the summer -- "summer" as a concept when there are more vacations does not vary from New York to Kansas to Arizona. 

Everyone in SL who is in business knows there is a summer slump because most users are in North America and most either go outside more -- not only due to weather but due to school and work schedules!!! -- and/or take vacations more. I merely have to look at my list of customers and what they do to see this, as anyone does.

The hot air here is coming from persistent contrariness in the face of obvious facts, and to what end? Again, one can only conclude this is "the game" for some.

People go outdoors not only when it is warm, but when they have time off. The end!

• Haha 1

On 9/10/2018 at 7:16 PM, Blush Bravin said:

I'd rather purchase my own mainland parcel than pay rent. That way if I decide to move I can get my purchase price back or make a profit, which has been my circumstance in nearly all the land I've sold upon leaving to buy a better parcel. Call me a control freak, but I'd rather control my land and pay LL directly rather to pay a middle man.

There are two problems with this theory of yours:

1) Rent is by definition cheaper than purchase price plus tier to LL. The rental agencies have lower costs of tier as they have bulk ownership and reduced costs, so they are charging you less in rent than you would have to pay LL if you paid tier directly. Everyone in the rentals business and renting gets this, so trying to argue it to the contrary is absurd. There are many reasons to own and not rent -- full control of the land for "privacy" is one of them, since not every rental can provide you a maximum-security bunker. But lower cost is not one of those reasons.

2) My customers can click on REFUND and get most of their rent paid back minus a small early cancellation fee, so that's not an issue. As an owner, you *might* get your purchase price back but likely may not -- which is why we see so much abandoned land.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

There are two problems with this theory of yours:

It's not a theory. I was relating my actual experience in SL. I've been here a long time. I have even rented land for short periods from time to time, but it just doesn't make financial sense for me. I enjoy not paying any tier to LL either as I use my two premium accounts to cover my tier and as I have already stated, I've not lost money on land, to the contrary I have always either broken even or made a profit. Granted what works for me might not be the best choice for someone else. To each their own. 

Also, unlike you, I have no financial motivation to persuade people to believe as I do.

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 1

"Look at the map" means..."look at the map". Look at the green dots present during prime time in the US, let's say 9 pm, and compare and contrast for what would be 9 pm in London or Seoul. That is all. Then you won't keep arguing, as the pile-up of green dots will prove it to you. The Lindens used to release log-on information, and it was clear then. They don't know, but the map's green dots will tell you this.

You can not look at the SL map and tell where people are from... 9PM in New York is 6 PM in San Fran, and only 4 PM in Hawaii.. So which time zone is that prime time for? I would say, based on my personal experiences over the 11 years i have been in SL that MOST US SL users are not 9-5 workers. Most are stay at home parents, students, or the disabled. They are on when they feel like it, some all day and most of the night. The rare ones that do work 9-5 jobs usually only log in on the weekends.

I have also met people from around the world at various times during the day. Aussies at noon EST. Japanese first thing in the morning, Europeans throughout the day and well into the night. The thought that people only log in during their daytime hours is foolish. There are plenty of night owls in SL. 

You keep talking about people being contrary to you just for kicks.. Ever stop and read ANY of you own posts? 

• Like 1

But more to the point, different US states are not on different school and vacation schedules. When it is February, all kids all over the US are in school and most tend not to take an annual vacation then (some take a winter vacation if they are in a very cold state but it's not the majority). It's not like in the US, in Texas there is a different school calendar than Alaska. The calendar will not vary by more than a week. By the same token, people take vacations from offices in the summer -- "summer" as a concept when there are more vacations does not vary from New York to Kansas to Arizona. 

That would be a very wrong statement.. All of New England gets a week off in February. Every other state gets 2 weeks in March. Just because the kids get summers off, does not mean their parents aren't still working. Why you seem to think that summer vacation from school means adults gets summers off is beyond me. How much vacation time do you think people in the US get? Most are cashing them in due to rising costs of everything. 

26 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

That would be a very wrong statement.. All of New England gets a week off in February. Every other state gets 2 weeks in March. Just because the kids get summers off, does not mean their parents aren't still working. Why you seem to think that summer vacation from school means adults gets summers off is beyond me. How much vacation time do you think people in the US get? Most are cashing them in due to rising costs of everything. 

My US company doesn’t even give “tracked” vacations anymore. You take it or you don’t. There’s no financial incentive to take or not take it. Everyone gets the same allotment of “non-tracked” vacation.

23 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

All of New England gets a week off in February. Every other state gets 2 weeks in March.

Wasn't sure what this was regarding?  If it was in regards to school vacations, not all school districts in all states have 2 weeks off in March, at least not where I am in California. 

Most families I know with children still in school take their major family vacations in the summer months when school is not in session.

1 hour ago, moirakathleen said:

Wasn't sure what this was regarding?  If it was in regards to school vacations, not all school districts in all states have 2 weeks off in March, at least not where I am in California. 

New England gets a week in February, we do not get one in March. Some states do indeed get two weeks in March. I believe all colleges do as well. 

1 hour ago, moirakathleen said:

Most families I know with children still in school take their major family vacations in the summer months when school is not in session.

Most families I know of with children cant afford to take ANY vacations.. Must be nice to get one. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2023 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.