Old clothing creator and Baked on Mesh

HANNAH Yakan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1698 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,  I am an old clothing creator who left SL when mesh came out.  I don't even own a mesh body.  Sculpts were the last things i made. I miss designing clothing. 

1).Can Baked on Mesh help me get back into the game? 

2).All my old textures, psd files work somehow?

It can but so would have Omega. You can use the same files you used for system cloth to create Omega appliers... Don't expect to much though, most folks prefer mesh clothing nowadayas. Underwear would be your best bet as fitting mesh underwear beneath other mesh can be a annoying so applier underwear still has quite a handfull of users.

Mesh bodies have an equivalent of system clothing called 'appliers'. It's a HUD system which talks to the body to put a texture on it (skin, tattoos, clothing etc).

Baked on mesh, when it arrives, will do that directly. You wear your system skin or other item and it shows up on the mesh body. Your old textures would work then, provided the mesh body is compatible with baked on mesh.

The question is how many people might buy them. Will the fashionista set adopt baked on mesh as the new gotta have it shiny or something to be scorned? Who knows. :)

What aspect of designing do you like most? Texture work? Garment silhouette? Making for yourself or selling? The whole thing is complicated and fragmented these days and learning how to make original mesh clothing is a lot to take on all at once. But there are ways to narrow things down into manageable steps if you prefer that.

9 hours ago, HANNAH Yakan said:

Ok I think i understand. Appliers, omega, and huds are still needed. Thank you. I created textures, but garment silhoutette was key to my designs.

Omega or applier HUDs in general are not going to be needed with BoM, aside from setting the initial "use bakes" setting. After that, wearing any (old or new) clothing layers from your inventory will automatically show up on your mesh. 

The way it works is literally in the name. The base avatar's textures are called "baked textures." Because they're composed from all of the "texture layers" (skin, tattoos, clothing) you're wearing. Bakes on Mesh literally allows us to set any mesh attachments to use the avatar's baked textures instead of separate ones, which are then automatically updated as the avatar bakes change when you wear or strip layers. 

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 2

Not only will omega or appliers not be necessary, they won't work at all with BoM in it's initial release. It's not clear yet if BoM will ever work with appliers or if they do when that might be. One thing to keep in mind though is how texture image resolution used for mesh body parts has increased. So while you were making textures at 512x512 for system clothes you will want to use 1024x1024 for mesh bodies (exceptions: when it makes more sense to use a smaller resolution such as for eyes and fingernails).

Even though appliers won't work with BoM initially, it still makes sense for you to learn how they work and possibly go ahead and make some appliers now while waiting for BoM. I'm one who believes knowledge is power. 

• 4 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Hilary Querrien said:

How come they won't work at all? At least on the current BOM viewer, I've been able to use both appliers and system layer clothing.

If you look at the various threads, many have asked for the ability to use scripts to inserts textures into the stack for baking and Oz has said that will not be available in the initial release of BoM. So while you may be able to use appliers as they are currently working to apply a texture to your body, you won't be able to use that applier to insert a texture into the stack for baking. Example: I have an applier for my skin and an applier for a tattoo. Currently I use the skin applier on the skin layer and the tattoo on the tattoo layer. After BoM I will still be able to use those appliers in that manner, but what I won't be able to do is use those appliers and have the BoM process combine those two textures into the one BoM system layer that can be worn on the BoM enabled layer of the body. 

Edited by Blush Bravin

2 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I, for one, find that I miss flexi when dancing. Nothing can really beat that for full length skirts.

Since you are a designer, is it possible to make lower ACI fleciprims?

I don't think you can make the individual panel less, but what you can do is use less panels and be sure to make the texture only as large as necessary. Back in the day it was easy to see over 100 or more panels in one flexi skirt. I made the mistake of buying one of those gorgeous but huge skirted flexi gowns from one of the most popular designers of flexi gowns at that time. When I checked the arc (yes, I was into minimizing the amount of lag I personally added to a venue even back then) I decided that was one gown I'd only wear in the privacy of my own home while dancing with my partner. I never wore that gown to a public venue. It was crazy insane.

On 8/19/2018 at 6:29 AM, HANNAH Yakan said:

I miss designing clothing. 

1).Can Baked on Mesh help me get back into the game? 

2).All my old textures, psd files work somehow?

still would be wise to get up to date with mesh ...

and next to the rise of mesh, there are reasons why people left the texture layer clothes, it simply looked not that well
also in the new BOM situation... bad looking texture clothes wont suddenly look good, bad stays bad.

On 9/16/2018 at 12:53 AM, Hilary Querrien said:

Oh, OK. I can understand that too (after all the talk about onion layers in other threads). So your system clothes would be applied on your body and then the onion layers would be applied on top of that, yes?

That actually sounds like you could do some cool things with it.

As long as the meshes keep their Onion Layers this is how it will work yes.

Appliers will continue to function for a long while simply because there's not much reason to immediately strip the layers off existing meshes.  New meshes and Future updates of the meshes will likely have fewer layers, and eventually no layers, but I'm doubtful that will happen quickly, as it will take time for various texture creators to repackage things. It only takes one tattoo, makeup or skin that someone is particularly attached to for someone to NEED the layers. And people get REALLY attached to their Skins and Tattoos.  ~\o/~   

So I will be super surprised if Onion layers disappear overnight. That being said, if you have a mesh body, make sure you keep a boxed current version of it tucked away. Someone might get overzealous.  ?‍♀️   And if you're a texture creator of any kind, make sure your stuff has Appliers + System Layers.  At least until they listen to my Jira!   -flails dramatically for attention before giving up and wandering off again-

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
On 8/19/2018 at 4:08 AM, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

Mesh bodies have an equivalent of system clothing called 'appliers'. It's a HUD system which talks to the body to put a texture on it (skin, tattoos, clothing etc).

Baked on mesh, when it arrives, will do that directly. You wear your system skin or other item and it shows up on the mesh body. Your old textures would work then, provided the mesh body is compatible with baked on mesh.

The question is how many people might buy them. Will the fashionista set adopt baked on mesh as the new gotta have it shiny or something to be scorned? Who knows. :)

What aspect of designing do you like most? Texture work? Garment silhouette? Making for yourself or selling? The whole thing is complicated and fragmented these days and learning how to make original mesh clothing is a lot to take on all at once. But there are ways to narrow things down into manageable steps if you prefer that.

So as clothing system files, you will have to distribute your files as full perm?

On 8/27/2019 at 3:01 AM, Tarina Sewell said:

So as clothing system files, you will have to distribute your files as full perm?

On 8/27/2019 at 3:11 AM, Theresa Tennyson said:

No; it will work exactly the way system clothing/skins worked before.

As I understand it, there will be easier now, since there is no need to make all the different layers. We don't need shirt layer, undershirt and jacket for a top. Just make everything on one layer.

From the day BoM went live in the SL viewer, neither I nor any of my alts have bought or will buy anything that is applier only. If an applier package does not also contain system layers I will not be spending even 1L$ on it. If my preferred skinners don't quickly come out with system layers, I will be switching skins. By the time FS is BoM ready I will be making these significant changes to embrace BoM wholeheartedly. Creators who have held back adapting to BoM will most likely be loosing my business as I will be switching to creators who are BoM compliant.

I am not all that interested in system clothing as much as in system layers for skins, skin details, tattoos, lingerie, makeup, hairbases, and a rather small but select set of clothing layers that work well under fitted mesh clothing. 

Certainly, I'm probably on the far end of the spectrum in regard to how fully I plan to embrace BoM, but once people see it's benefits and hear how others are enjoying not having to deal with alpha glitching and the sheer variety of looks one can achieve layering up to 60 layers at once, I'm rather certain that people will make the change. This reminds me of all those people who complained and didn't want to make the change to bento mesh heads, but they made the change. It won't be much different with Bakes, IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blush Bravin said:

This reminds me of all those people who complained and didn't want to make the change to bento mesh heads, but they made the change. It won't be much different with Bakes, IMO.

Agreed. And the ones who could reap the most and highest benefit? Everyone one who was in SL *before* mesh came along and still have *all that stuff*. Muahahahaha!!!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Agreed. And the ones who could reap the most and highest benefit? Everyone one who was in SL *before* mesh came along and still have *all that stuff*. Muahahahaha!!!

Been here a long time. Deleted most, not all, but a huge portion of all my old system stuff. Do I regret it? Not one bit. Love shopping and I'm more than happy to throw my money at any creator making new lovely system layers for my beautiful mesh body and head.

I can't stand the default viewer. The default viewer is too annoying to set up a copy of the body and head on my main. I was in the BoM viewer a while with an alt, but she does not have many skins or anything. I don't go to BoM before Firestorm has it.

I did notice that much of the old is low quality. I will see what was the quality brands of that time. Will take out my freckles on tattoo layer. I am using this skin not just because I like it, but it's the only with freckles and body hair painted on. That alpha glitch was so annoying. Will not miss it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1698 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.