virtual reality headset

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2092 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I don't do headphones,because too many people think it's funny to see how far I jump out of my skin when they touch me..

Being blind and preoccupied would more than likely temp those around me to sneak up on me again..

I lost one computer already from a headphone scare when I pulled it off the stand..

I can see and hear just fine where I'm at :D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I don't do headphones,because too many people think it's funny to see how far I jump out of my skin when they touch me..

Being blind and preoccupied would more than likely temp those around me to sneak up on me again..

I lost one computer already from a headphone scare when I pulled it off the stand..

I can see and hear just fine where I'm at :D

My kids have always found it hilarious to come up to me from the left side, no matter where I am (where my desk has to sit does not help this in any way, as my left side faces the remainder of the house). The only function my left eye serves is to fill an otherwise ugly face hole. The vision I do have in my right eye, when attempting to look left extends to the side of my nose(the right side), and no further. I can't see them when they come up on my left side, at all. I'm also somewhat deaf in that ear, so, even if they weren't quiet, I still wouldn't likely hear them. 

I can't tell you how many times I have yanked a cord from headphones, nearly knocking down a pc, knocked something over from my desk, dropped things, or been startled to the point that I jump. They have done this to me their entire lives, each time being as funny as the last.  Sigh...good thing I love these kids, lol.  They're also all very ticklish and easy to startle if you know when/how...and I do ;) 

When I was little(about 3), and still figuring out how this legally blind thing works, I was racing across the courtyard with other kids. My mom called me, so, naturally, I looked back, to my right. Then I looked forward just in time to run face first into a tree at full 3 yr old speed.   Three hours in the ER, 25 stitches, a few stickers and an ice cream later, I survived :)  You'd think I would've learned then to never look first with a non-functional eye, eh? I still haven't, lmao. 

I wonder what the OP's game is. He keeps starting stupid threads and doesn't partake in them. It's obviously some sort of game to him. Perhaps he is experimenting with people here - like rats. Or maybe he is wanting to see how many idiotic threads he can start before people stop responding to them.

Edited by Phil Deakins

44 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

I wonder what the OP's game is. He keeps starting stupid threads and doesn't partake in them. It's obviously some sort of game to him. Perhaps he is experimenting with people here - like rats. Or maybe he is wantying to see how many idiotic threads he can start before people stop responding.

Congratulations, you are a rat. Dance!

On topic though: VR headsets are not really 'easy' most of the time.

They need dedicated (empty!) space if you want to use the hand controllers, and good places for the sensors. They might come with wall mounts and screws, but not tools or stands which you'll need to buy separately (unless you have convenient surfaces).

There's also stuff to plug in, each sensor separately and the cable is not that long, plus the headset itself needs power and a GPU slot (if you have enough to spare, especially with a dual/triple monitor setup).

Even if you've set it up once, any time you move the sensors, you'll need to recalibrate the play area.

The VR could just suddenly stop working too, causing your GPU to crash as soon as the headset starts even when no updates have been made, and in my case the only fix was 6 months old drivers. 

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

1 hour ago, Phil Deakins said:

I wonder what the OP's game is. He keeps starting stupid threads and doesn't partake in them. It's obviously some sort of game to him. Perhaps he is experimenting with people here - like rats. Or maybe he is wanting to see how many idiotic threads he can start before people stop responding to them.

SEO (search engine optimisation) He is gaming google. The third hashtag is the key.

6 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

SEO (search engine optimisation) He is gaming google. The third hashtag is the key.

I don't get it. The octopusrift tag goes to a page of joke twitter posts, which is nothing worth doing seo for. Also, it's his only post here that has that tag, so it's poor seo if that's his game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil Deakins said:

It's a pattern for OP. Does this every now an then by making posts that *almost seem like a topic people are interested in, or one they're likely to respond to anyway, and in the posts there tend to be links. OP is counting on people clicking them-on accident, on purpose, doesn't matter. OP is then rewarded for said clicks in some type of manner (it seems to have varied over the years, as have the various links, so the precise reward I cannot say, I doubt anyone can, lol). OP won't post in the threads for very long, sometimes only a couple of times, a lot of the posts have since been removed too, lol. 

If it were just SEO it would definitely be a very piss poor attempt, but it's mostly it's just fishing(not phishing, the links have never been nefarious that I know of) for clicks. 

• Like 2

Are they always links to twitter?

58 minutes ago, Tari Landar said:

a lot of the posts have since been removed too

It's not just the posts that need removing - imo, of course ;) Especially if he's doing something like you said, because it's abuse of the forum - again, imo.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

Are they always links to twitter?

It's not just the posts that need removing - imo, of course ;) Especially if he's doing something like you said, because it's abuse of the forum - again, imo.

No, there have been links to other places too. I've seen some posts without links at all, but with odd words (or odd context in general, lol) in them that are likely being linked elsewhere (make sense?). At any rate, it's not the first time I've seen it-happens a lot on some other boards/forums I use that aren't very well monitored, though it's the first time I've seen anyone on these forums get away with it for so long, lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Callum Meriman said:

(The device on the cat's back is a Vive tracker, so it's position can be seen in VR)

5b6f092e49b2f_download(33).thumb.jpeg.28193513a950e47f8808ce054c7f7a5f.jpeg

Ok... so when the cat escapes outside from the house then the owner runs after it wearing that VR headset so that they can find the cat? :ph34r: :S Good luck! ;)

• Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2092 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.