Bakes on Mesh Feedback Thread

Alexa Linden
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 904 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

If the body needs more unique textures than the layers can support, that's obviously different.
But the BoM gives you 11 separate textures to use, see here.

But if a body with custom UVs had the same amount or less unique textures, you could make use of BoM.

Hmm, I hadn’t kept up since my initial successful tests but..where the heck on your Avatar body do Aux1, Aux2, and Aux3 go?

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

Hmm, I hadn’t kept up since my initial successful tests but..where the heck on your Avatar body do Aux1, Aux2, and Aux3 go?

I've not booted up the project viewer, but I assume nowhere. The textures will probably only be used on mesh surfaces that are set to use them.

49 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

If the body needs more unique textures than the layers can support, that's obviously different.
But the BoM gives you 11 separate textures to use, see here.

But if a body with custom UVs had the same amount or less unique textures, you could make use of BoM.

So, you are saying you can use the EYE_TATTOO slot for say a back skin? Even though it says it will bake to eyes? Pretty sure those textures bake to the appropriate areas, not some random ones you want. 

BOM.png

5 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

So, you are saying you can use the EYE_TATTOO slot for say a back skin? Even though it says it will bake to eyes? Pretty sure those textures bake to the appropriate areas, not some random ones you want. 

BOM.png

To quote your image:

Any face of a mesh object can be textured using one of the server baked textures.

Yes, whatever texture you put in for the eye texture for baking will go on the base avatar's eye, BUT, if you are wearing a custom mesh body, you can have that custom mesh body use the texture from the base avatar's eye, for example on whatever face consists of the custom avatar's back.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

3 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

To quote your image:

Yes, whatever texture you put in for the eye texture for baking will go on the base avatar's eye, BUT, if you are wearing a custom mesh body, you can have that custom mesh body use the texture from the base avatar's eye, for example on whatever face consists of the custom avatar's back.

You are so totally missing the point.. So, using your example, now i have my eye texture slot on my back, what do i use for my actual eyes? The easy answer that you didnt give because you want this to work so badly is: NO! non SLuv avs wont work with this. Stop trying to workaround things that wont work. Gods, its like the people that skimp on one bill to pay another to pay another to pay another.. YOU STILL HAVE THE FIRST BILL!!! If it isnt going to work, it isnt going to work. Thats my problem for buying a non SLuv AV... Even though it wasnt stated that it wasnt before purchase... 

7 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

You are so totally missing the point.. So, using your example, now i have my eye texture slot on my back, what do i use for my actual eyes? The easy answer that you didnt give because you want this to work so badly is: NO! non SLuv avs wont work with this. Stop trying to workaround things that wont work. Gods, its like the people that skimp on one bill to pay another to pay another to pay another.. YOU STILL HAVE THE FIRST BILL!!! If it isnt going to work, it isnt going to work. Thats my problem for buying a non SLuv AV... Even though it wasnt stated that it wasnt before purchase... 

I think it's you who's missing the point.

What I was originally saying is that custom mesh avatars, which might use some or totally custom UVs (and might not even have visible eyes or be humanoid), will be able to use this feature just the same as the regular base avatar and benefit from texture baking instead of using all of them separately. (Which greatly reduces texture memory usage, which is by far the biggest impact this feature will have.)

They just won't be able to use any textures that are intended to be used by the base avatar, which I guess is your point and you are right to say that. I've pointed out already as well.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

2 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

I think it's you who's missing the point.

What I was originally saying is that custom mesh avatars, which might use some or totally custom UVs (and might not even have visible eyes or be humanoid), will be able to use this feature just the same as the regular base avatar and benefit from texture baking instead of using all of them separately. (Which greatly reduces texture memory usage, which is by far the biggest impact this feature will have.)

They just won't be able to use any textures that are intended to be used by the base avatar, which I guess is your point and you are right to say that. I've pointed out already as well.

That is also assuming that the mesh creators will set their bodies to utilize this feature and update for free... 

On 7/12/2018 at 6:29 PM, Theresa Tennyson said:

The Omega appliers I've seen lately appear to have most of the feet textured with a plain skin tone anyway.

This is not a recent thing. This has been a requirement of the system since the beginning.

If you see an Omega Skin applier that doesn't do this, they're doing it wrong and should be sent a notecard letting them know they goofed. (Nicely).  You can tell em I said so.
(Bear in mind sometimes the hand/feet appliers are sold separately. This is ok as long as they are available)

• Like 1

"What are the(aux) gong to be used for?"

I can't speak for every NHC avatar creator, but, as of today, I plan on setting the ears to 1, the tails to 2, and wings to 3.  

3, could also possibly be the hinter of non winged hexapods.  This includes centuars, and the like.

This could evolve as I finish remapping the current uv maps, but this is the way I suggest, and will more than likely use.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shnurui Troughton said:

"What are the(aux) gong to be used for?"

I can't speak for every NHC avatar creator, but, as of today, I plan on setting the ears to 1, the tails to 2, and wings to 3.  

3, could also possibly be the hinter of non winged hexapods.  This includes centuars, and the like.

This could evolve as I finish remapping the current uv maps, but this is the way I suggest, and will more than likely use.

I'm almost beginning to wish they put in the "Aux" channels but just kept it a secret until everyone already worked out their UV maps with the other channels, to be honest. When someone knows something's available they tend to use it even if it's not really necessary.

The default head texture already has two comparatively large sections dedicated to the default ears - they could instead be used for the graphics for animal ears.

Also using the default mapping, the "Left Arm" texture will be over 60% unused and the "Left Foot" texture will be a good 90% unused - people can use the rest of that space for additional body parts and still be able to use them for their design function.

What we don't ever, ever, ever want to do is to have avatars that ever use thirteen separate 1024 x 1024 textures (not counting materials, mind you) for a single skin ever again. The Niramyth Aesthetic UV map uses separate 1024 textures for each hand and each foot, and another for the fingernails.

To put this in perspective - all those giant blow-up pictures you see of the faces of mesh heads? Looking at the default UV map and a 1024 x 1024 texture, which they basically all use, the actual face detail portion you're seeing is the equivalent of a single 512 x 512 texture. When they were discussing increasing the texture size of the avatar bakes they were discussing also increasing the size of the baked eye texture to 1024 x 1024 (it's only going to be 256 x 256 now). I thought about that and had a realization - if you "unwrapped" an entire human eyeball and compared its size to the average monitor, it probably wouldn't take up 1024 x 1024 pixels. And yet, many popular mesh eyes do use 1024 x 1024 textures.

Yes the ears had two large areas dedicated to the ears.

No, this does not work with large ears as those two small(relatively large) areas are 1.) Attached to the head and 2.) Force the back of the ears into a weird perspective that is fine for hidden eat backs, but very destructive for visible eat backs.

In order to use the internal animal ear on the standard sluv, you completely warp the back of it.  You can spoof that to the top of the head, but that causes the same problem we have with the arms.

Edited by Shnurui Troughton
@work

I just downloaded the the sl project viewer for bake on mesh and cannot see a radio button per instructions at http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Project_BakesOnMesh/5.1.6.516270

In fact I see nothing under EDIT for Bake. Please help.

Instructions -- You can now apply these textures to your avatar’s object attachments' diffuse texture slot. Right click on the attachment, click edit and from the edit face menu select textures. Click the diffuse texture icon to open up the texture picker. The texture picker has an extra radio button mode called 'bake' for selecting server bakes. The 'bake' radio button mode has a dropdown for selecting BAKE_HEAD, BAKE_UPPER, BAKE_LOWER, BAKE_EYES, BAKE_SKIRT, BAKE_HAIR, BAKE_LEFTARM, BAKE_LEFTLEG, BAKE_AUX1, BAKE_AUX2, BAKE_AUX3 server bake textures. When an attachment is using a baked texture, the corresponding base mesh region of the system avatar is hidden.

56 minutes ago, NanR said:

I just downloaded the the sl project viewer for bake on mesh and cannot see a radio button per instructions at http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Project_BakesOnMesh/5.1.6.516270

Instructions -- You can now apply these textures to your avatar’s object attachments' diffuse texture slot. Right click on the attachment, click edit and from the edit face menu select textures. Click the diffuse texture icon to open up the texture picker. The texture picker has an extra radio button mode called 'bake' for selecting server bakes. The 'bake' radio button mode has a dropdown for selecting BAKE_HEAD, BAKE_UPPER, BAKE_LOWER, BAKE_EYES, BAKE_SKIRT, BAKE_HAIR, BAKE_LEFTARM, BAKE_LEFTLEG, BAKE_AUX1, BAKE_AUX2, BAKE_AUX3 server bake textures. When an attachment is using a baked texture, the corresponding base mesh region of the system avatar is hidden.

You can only do it that way with items that you're wearing and you can modify. If you're trying to do that with a mesh body you can go to the Omega main store and get a free applier.

Edited by Theresa Tennyson

The majority of the comments in this thread is nonsense that to me looks like pointless obstacles to the development of this feature. It looks good, it seems to work, it will be useful for everyone. Now, what's the status on this feature? What's missing, what's the current issues or bugs, what's to be developed yet and does anyone have an estimate of when this is going to be released? 

• Like 3

The only issue i'm seeing... what will happen if some popular but unscrupulous creators decide to reserve themselves exclusive use of some of the layers for their own non-body related products...

But then that's the same issue we have with the spare bento bones, some things simply cannot be used together.

On 7/17/2018 at 11:13 PM, Faenzo said:

The majority of the comments in this thread is nonsense that to me looks like pointless obstacles to the development of this feature. It looks good, it seems to work, it will be useful for everyone. Now, what's the status on this feature? What's missing, what's the current issues or bugs, what's to be developed yet and does anyone have an estimate of when this is going to be released? 

Soon.  It will be released Soon.

The status is good, beta is working well.

So far the only "problem" is having to wear each item in order to link it to the corresponding layer.  And the lack of Isolated body parts.

18 hours ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

The only issue i'm seeing... what will happen if some popular but unscrupulous creators decide to reserve themselves exclusive use of some of the layers for their own non-body related products...

But then that's the same issue we have with the spare bento bones, some things simply cannot be used together.

Serious Confused look.
Are you talking about wearable pets, maybe weapons, and shields?
How is it unscrupulous to use unused fields for unknown items?

On 7/16/2018 at 1:13 PM, NanR said:

It's under Edit>TEXTURES, click the Texture Field.   Look at the Select Texture window.  Right below that is the Bake Radial.

47 minutes ago, Shnurui Troughton said:

Are you talking about wearable pets, maybe weapons, and shields?
How is it unscrupulous to use unused fields for unknown items?

Unscrupulous is definitely the wrong word, but the point they're making is "I put on my robe which uses Aux1, and my wizard hat from a different creator that also uses Aux1. Now they both use the same texture and my RP is ruined."

Quick question:   Are these "BAKE_HEAD, BAKE_UPPER, BAKE_LOWER, BAKE_EYES, BAKE_SKIRT, BAKE_HAIR" texture UUID variables that we can access programmatically to apply texture to any wearable mesh ?  If not, how can it be done programmatically?

Thanks

2 hours ago, SoniaVileva said:

Quick question:   Are these "BAKE_HEAD, BAKE_UPPER, BAKE_LOWER, BAKE_EYES, BAKE_SKIRT, BAKE_HAIR" texture UUID variables that we can access programmatically to apply texture to any wearable mesh ?  If not, how can it be done programmatically?

Thanks

I can guarantee there won't be constants for the bake UUIDs, because.. they're not. The UUID for avatar bakes change every time they are updated.

Like someone said earlier in this thread, at best we'll probably get a primitive-parameter for bake type on a face.

Didn't Omega make some kind of a free applier already, or am I thinking that up? I've no idea how that was achieved if that's the case, I can't find any documentation on the scripting.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 904 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.