Jump to content
Alexa Linden

Bakes on Mesh Feedback Thread

Recommended Posts

you can already do this by exploting n existing bug, at the price of LI/complexity because it's a bug. And i did it already.

30 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

How do you determine the glossiness of two layered specular maps when Second Life sets glossiness as a variable per face instead of as a map?

wrong, the glossiness IS a map, contained in the normal map. Making a "transparent hole" in the RGB channels and the alpha black in the same area indicates a "hole" already at current state. IM me inworld and i can give you a working example, instead of the fanboy clueless defense you're doing

Edited by OptimoMaximo
improved explanation for materials unaware people
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Second Life sets glossiness as a variable per face

oh by the way, that is a MULTIPLIER for the normal's alpha channel value, the glossiness MAP.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, OptimoMaximo said:

oh by the way, that is a MULTIPLIER for the normal's alpha channel value, the glossiness MAP.

It's the glossiness variable of the specular map, and it's set by face just like I said.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick video for you here

Materials Documentation here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Material_Data look up texture encoding and realize you're wrong and need to learn how to use materials. Thank you very much

 

EDIT: to whoever deleted the video link, shame on you for trying to hide the truth.I just put it again and will do again as soon as it gets deleted .

Edited by OptimoMaximo
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, OptimoMaximo said:

Quick video for you here

Materials Documentation here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Material_Data look up texture encoding and realize you're wrong and need to learn how to use materials. Thank you very much

You mean where it says this?

Glossiness

This controls the “glossiness”, or the roughness, of the reflected light on a surface. The lower this value is, the “rougher” the light reflectance is, while the higher the value the “sharper” the light reflectance is. When the normal map’s alpha channel is present, the specular exponent map contained in it is modulated by this parameter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

When the normal map’s alpha channel is present, the specular exponent map contained in it is modulated by this parameter.

yes, THIS part you could have read more intently and 

Screenshot_1.thumb.png.57be605061aecd99d4f56962b7ffe9d3.png

EDIT: i also sent the object in the video to you to play with and realize how you don't know how to use materials. Check the hay fringes, it's a mesh face but the specularity doesn't show where it's transparent.... how's it possible? because of a glossiness map AKA specular exponent

Edited by OptimoMaximo
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

You know ... there is nothing stopping you from putting some code together and contributing it .. 

I'm not a coder, i'm a graphics designer! The farthest i can go is Python for Maya.

Edited by OptimoMaximo
typo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

putting some code together and contributing it

...and moreover...why should i do that? LL has to upgrade their platform and they're doing something SIMILAR by baking a layered texture. Why wasting time on a niche feature when what i'm showing is definitely possible, pretty much standard in all platforms nowadays AND benefits ALL types of content?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

btw, here is a quick video of the demonstaration that what i say is possible

from now on i won't come back to this thread anymore, for real. so long!

Edited by OptimoMaximo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OptimoMaximo said:

btw, here is a quick video of the demonstaration that what i say is possible

from now on i won't come back to this thread anymore, for real. so long!

After looking at the hut further, what you're doing is quite interesting. However, it's not really related to the "Bakes on Mesh" project which is designed to use pre-existing systems for a defined end and doesn't need much to be completed. Saying that Bakes-on-Mesh should wait on it is very similar to saying that Animesh or any other unrelated project should wait on it.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As much as i would really enjoy writing my own shaders that's really not related to BoM which is more like I dunno, A simplified substance designer.

(Also optimo i filed a jira on ambient occlusion lightmapping in 2004, guess where it went?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2018 at 6:39 AM, Blush Bravin said:

The biggest reason I am excited and don't want to wait for the project to be released is the ability to wear multiple layers with alpha channels that do NOT glitch.

I can wear stockings and tats. But, I do have to adjust the blending/masking mode of the body layers for it to look correct. I haven't yet tried to wear three layers of alpha'd textures...

Onion skin bodies do provide better appearance for clothes and underwear as they permit clothes to span toes, cleavage, and butt crack to get away from some of the painted look. I doubt a body maker is going to give up that improvement. So, it will be interesting to see how they handle the new bodies and reduce the layers of onion skinning.

I can't see Appliers going away. Bakes-On-Mesh is not going to handle materials. At least not in this first pass. So, we will still need Appliers for materials.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

I can wear stockings and tats. But, I do have to adjust the blending/masking mode of the body layers for it to look correct. I haven't yet tried to wear three layers of alpha'd textures...

Yes, you can use masking but unfortunately there's just no way that a tattoo or stockings look good in mask mode so it's pretty useless for layering tattoos and stockings. As well as the fact, that while you might see your layers not glitching it's likely that those around you are still seeing the glitch. So BoM .. get here already! :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

However, it's not really related to the "Bakes on Mesh" project

The problem is that BoM should never have been brought to existence in the first place and that LL should have done what can refresh their obsolete platform. BoM is just a quick sop that will never get follow up projects to include materials and, moreover, doesn't benefit content in the broader aspect, it works only on mesh avatars. EVEN IF it would get any follow up project it keeps being a crippled, backward feature that neglects the tools that were introduced along the years and really doesn't solve scene's complexity. Onion skin avatars are not the only problem, it's also and very importantly texture load (for the reason i explained in  one of the above posts) which MY POINT tends to solve for both, avatars and scenery, polycount and texture load. 

Now stick your fingers in your ears and shout "lalalalala"

Edited by OptimoMaximo
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, OptimoMaximo said:

The problem is that BoM should never have been brought to existence in the first place and that LL should have done what can refresh their obsolete platform. BoM is just a quick sop that will never get follow up projects to include materials and, moreover, doesn't benefit content in the broader aspect, it works only on mesh avatars. EVEN IF it would get any follow up project it keeps being a crippled, backward feature that neglects the tools that were introduced along the years and really doesn't solve scene's complexity. Onion skin avatars are not the only problem, it's also and very importantly texture load (for the reason i explained in  one of the above posts) which MY POINT tends to solve for both, avatars and scenery, polycount and texture load. 

Now stick your fingers in your ears and shout "lalalalala"

Since you're obviously not interested in it maybe you should leave the thread like you said you were going to twice before.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@OptimoMaximo Your "useless feature" says alot. Everything said so far has completely went over your head.

What was the point of your video? A mod object, such as a Logo head for instance, can have separate textures for diffuse, normal, and specular, which all operate and interact on the same mesh face. The union of, I assume, would be handled by BOM.

Did the door hit your arse on the way out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, 69xenuno said:

What was the point of your video? A mod object, such as a Logo head for instance, can have separate textures for diffuse, normal, and specular, which all operate and interact on the same mesh face. The union of, I assume, would be handled by BOM.

According to Vir Linden BoM is not going to deal with Spec and Norm maps for now. But, they aren't going to block their use on mesh using BoM. So, for a time appliers will have a use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/6/2018 at 3:13 AM, 69xenuno said:

What was the point of your video?

A point you clearly aren't able to grasp

 

On 8/6/2018 at 6:18 PM, Theresa Tennyson said:

Since you're obviously not interested in it maybe you should leave the thread like you said you were going to twice before.

Done, but you keep quoting me.

On 9/6/2018 at 7:25 PM, Nalates Urriah said:

According to Vir Linden BoM is not going to deal with Spec and Norm maps for now. But, they aren't going to block their use on mesh using BoM. So, for a time appliers will have a use.

And we all know how LL operates. So BoM won't solve onion skinned avatar high complexity for "a time" which won't be short, if we're lucky enough to get them to make a follow up project. Good luck with making appliers for all possible combination of normal maps and specular maps you don't have access to because you don't own them (like the skin, how do you make an applier for all possible skins to be put under your texture garment?)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I crazy or is there a bit of confusion here? x.x

In regards to Glossy, there is both a map and a parameter. The Gloss Parameter just acts as a multiplier.  You can set it to 255 and use transparency instead to indicate what should shine and how much. 

And from what I've seen, you get much better results that way. It's a night and day difference.

Now what that means for trying to get multiple maps all into one bake... well that's why I think these things will need to be tied to a diffuse texture to act as an alpha map. Is that something LL can pull off right now? I have no clue. x.x

 

 

Edited by Chellynne Bailey
Word ommitted

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...