What do I do about trespassers ?

Angelin Galicia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2257 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What do you do about someone who decides to just walk onto your land like they own the place with you standing right there,and they start trying out your chairs and your bed,checking everything out until you politely im them to see what they want ? They are friendly but annoying and then after they leave you put ban lines up and they im you to complain how unfriendly the neighborhood is? 

I explained that anyone who comes onto the land needs to ask perimssion first . And he replied that sl has no privacy except in skyboxes high in the air and that he leaves his  second life house open to anyone who wants to visit anytime and he proceeded to invite me to see his land .  I had taken my ban lines down to invite a friend to my land and then forgotten to put them up  . I was there trying to landscape and make changes when a stranger showed up and started walking around. I engaged him in conversation to see what he was doing there and he was friendly but a little annoying. I think he landmarked my place because he recently imed me that he had been coming back a lot but that I was never home . I do not want to be rude  . I am friendly in second life but I disagree with him that people in sl should not have any privacy unless they have a skybox. I know ban lines look unattractive to neighbors but not sure what else to do ? And if he landmarked the place can he still get in with the ban lines up? I do not want to eject this person and hurt his feelings but I also do not want him popping in whenever he feels like it. There appears to be a difference of opinion about privacy rights in sl. What is the nicest way to handle trespassing ? 

Edited by Angelin Galicia
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

You handled it well.

You could also block him to stop hearing the whining.

Thank you . I hope so. I did accept his offer of friendship because I do not really meet people in sl very often and I guess in my mind I wondered if he was there for a reason ? That I should at least try to be nice,but I really do not know what to do now. I think I will have to have a talk with him . And I  wonder if the ban lines look ugly to my neighbors . Is it selfish of me to make the neighborhood look ugly to them even though I cant see it and it looks nice to me? 

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

You could remove ban lines (allow anyone) while still banning the one guy.

Note that most people probably turn off the ban lines- they are only visible if people want to see them, even if you have your parcel restricted.

Interesting you say that there is a way to not view the ugly yellow ban lines from other neighbors? That is great! I did not know that. This is not the first person to tresspass on my land there was another in the past. I ejected him because he would not even talk to me,kept wandering around my land and did not leave. How do you feel about people coming onto your land even when you are not there ? Is it okay or is it wrong? 

Honestly, I am rarely in SL these days so if someone gets joy out using my stuff, I am happy. It all depends.

My Linden Home is on the edge of a lake park, so I setup a bathroom and put out a “public bathroom” sign and “free fireworks” stand.

On my full adult region, I rezzed a Paradise Blanket that is free for anyone to use.

If I were at either place and someone was playing with controls (without permission) or being annoying, I would probably talk to them nicely before asking them to leave.

*Edit* But if I was on a “date” and someone intruded, I would change the privacy temporarily.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Honestly, I am rarely in SL these days so if someone gets joy out using my stuff, I am happy. It all depends.

My Linden Home is on the edge of a lake park, so I setup a bathroom and put out a “public bathroom” sign and “free fireworks” stand.

On my full adult region, I rezzed a Paradise Blanket that is free for anyone to use.

If I were at either place and someone was playing with controls (without permission) or being annoying, I would probably talk to them nicely before asking them to leave.

*Edit* But if I was on a “date” and someone intruded, I would change the privacy temporarily.

You sound very nice and friendly . 

• Thanks 1

My ideas about security and privacy have changed over time.  When I first started, I had ban lines up.  After awhile I took those down, but always had a house with door locks - until I realized that door locks don't keep anyone out, if someone really wants to come inside the house.  However, I don't appreciate people who just walk into my house while I am home, especially without conversing first.   

Recently, when I still had mainland parcels along a road, I put in my 'about land' description that this was my house, but people were free to take a look around the gardens and the little farm, but to say 'hello' and to respect my privacy if I was home.   When I'm out exploring, I always read the 'about land' description before wandering into someone's parcel, so that I can see whether they are open to someone getting a better look at something they have out on their parcel (and I would not go in someone's house uninvited whether they were there or not).   If I can't tell, I just admire from the road or waterway, but not everyone has the same view points about that.   If I came home and people were in my house and didn't acknowledge me or stop whatever they were doing and talk with me,  I would probably eject them. 

In the end, you need to do what is most comfortable for you - you are the one paying tier or rent for the parcel.     There is no obligation for you to have your land open to anyone and everyone, no matter what some others may think.

Edited by moirakathleen
spelling correction
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, moirakathleen said:

After awhile I took those down, but always had a house with door locks - until I realized that door locks don't keep anyone out, if someone really wants to come inside the house.

In my experience a locked door keeps 999 out of 1,000 wannabe intruders out. 990 of them aren't SL savvy enough to realize you can get past a locked door, the other nine are kept out by the psycological effect,

If you are unlucky enough to encounter tat person no. 1,000 who won't respect a locked door and knows how to get around it, well I suppose stronger measures are called for. The most effective method is probably tostart as a DJ or club host and keep tp'ing the intruders to your gigs.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ChinRey said:

In my experience a locked door keeps 999 out of 1,000 wannabe intruders out. 990 of them aren't SL savvy enough to realize you can get past a locked door, the other nine are kept out by the psycological effect,

If you are unlucky enough to encounter tat person no. 1,000 who won't respect a locked door and knows how to get around it, well I suppose stronger measures are called for. The most effective method is probably tostart as a DJ or club host and keep tp'ing the intruders to your gigs.

Very true, my point though was that I no longer get all worried, if my current house doesn't have a locked door.  My current house doesn't have a locked door, nor do the doors close by themselves, so it seems half the time when I TP away or log off, I've left with the doors wide open.

I like the idea about TP'ing intruders to one's gigs :)  

• Moderators

Greetings Angelin Galicia!

I am very sorry to hear that you had such a negative experience with another user.  

A big thank you to those who have replied to your post with information and suggestions!

One thing you can do to discourage trespassers is to turn off scripting for others.  This will prevent anyone not pre-approved by you from accessing menu's on things like chairs, beds, doors, etc.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/About_Land

If you own the land, or have permission to edit the About Land - Options section, you can uncheck the Allow other resident to Run Scripts option.  This will prevent others from using any of the scripted items in your home. 

If you are unable to edit those options in the About Land section, I would recommend checking the scripting on each of the items directly.  Sometimes  you can disable the scripting for non owners, or non approved users directly through the scripted item itself.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you don't want to put up ban lines, you can buy a security system.  They are not that expensive and you configure them to only let certain avatars onto the parcel.  Others will be teleported away after a specified amount of time.  

If you do go that route, be sure to configure the card properly so that the scanning does not go outside of your land - and set the TP time long enough to let people TP away on their own after they get the warning message.

Side note - there are also parcel settings to prevent others from being able to cam in and see you.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

1 hour ago, Dakota Linden said:

If you own the land, or have permission to edit the About Land - Options section, you can uncheck the Allow other resident to Run Scripts option.  This will prevent others from using any of the scripted items in your home. 

Does it really work this way? I've always understood that scripts are allowed to run as long as they're owned by somebody with permission to run scripts on the land. (If that's right, then even if others aren't permitted to run scripts on your land, your furniture should still work for them unless its access is controlled by the furniture scripts themselves.)

(... and if that's right, something I never thought about: scripts in temp-attached items should not work under these conditions, despite being rezzed by the landowner's furniture.)

(I won't further confuse the issue with the arcane conditions under which attached items can become exempt from no-script restrictions.)

To the OP: Do whatever makes you feel comfortable on your land, and remember that a sense of humor is the best lubricant.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Does it really work this way? I've always understood that scripts are allowed to run as long as they're owned by somebody with permission to run scripts on the land. (If that's right, then even if others aren't permitted to run scripts on your land, your furniture should still work for them unless its access is controlled by the furniture scripts themselves.)

(... and if that's right, something I never thought about: scripts in temp-attached items should not work under these conditions, despite being rezzed by the landowner's furniture.)

(I won't further confuse the issue with the arcane conditions under which attached items can become exempt from no-script restrictions.)

To the OP: Do whatever makes you feel comfortable on your land, and remember that a sense of humor is the best lubricant.

Agreed..this was news to me.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Hello Qie!

Disabling scripts on the land should prevent anyone not expressly permitted from running scripts on the land. 

Expressly permitted means the land owner, or anyone in the land group, if the option for Group is enabled. 

Back years ago when I owned land, I disabled running scripts using the Land option and anyone who visited my land couldn't run anything. I found this out myself when I overheard a couple of people talking about the build I had up, but that I had scripts disabled, so none of the items could be used by anyone. :)

• Thanks 1

Well, I tested this and I learned something, but not what I expected.

I used group-owned land (not sure that matters) and when I turned off the "Everyone" Run Scripts setting, my alt who's not in the group could still use my scripted furniture on the parcel. (That furniture is set to group -- again, dunno if that matters.)

So then I disabled Run Scripts for "Group" too. Somehow I'd expected that the scripts in my furniture would continue to work, but that's wrong: they stopped working for everybody, including me. Now that I think about that, that would make sense if the scripts were working with Group-only enabled simply because they were in objects set to the land group.*

Finally I tested an object deeded to group on this group-owned land with both "Everyone" and "Group" disabled. A script in that object worked for everybody.

The next thing to test would be to see how this all works on land owned by an individual account. My hunch is that scripts in objects owned by the landowner would work for anybody, regardless of their group membership and regardless of the parcel's Run Scripts setting. But all my land is group-owned and it takes just enough effort to transfer land back and forth that it exceeds my very low threshold of laziness.

*... or maybe it depends on the fact the object owner (me) is a group member, and still in the region. I'm thinking of how parcel media controllers on group-owned land should be deeded to the land group, but would continue working for a while if owned by a group owner who's still in the sim.

• Thanks 1

I 'live' off trespassers now, but also in my first years in SL I found them to be quite amusing. Especially the ones that have social issues like not being able to talk back and have a normal conversation. I then started to answer my questions for them which made them feel annoyed often. Hey what do I know!?! If you don't answer I have to guess for you! Most of them just leave by themselves that way. Some feel sorry and apologize and a few become more talkative and made friends. 

Moral of the story. Something positive can come from what at first seems to be rude behavior. And those that really lack any form of decensy and social skills get out of the way by themselves. 

19 hours ago, Dakota Linden said:

Greetings Angelin Galicia!

I am very sorry to hear that you had such a negative experience with another user.  

A big thank you to those who have replied to your post with information and suggestions!

One thing you can do to discourage trespassers is to turn off scripting for others.  This will prevent anyone not pre-approved by you from accessing menu's on things like chairs, beds, doors, etc.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/About_Land

If you are unable to edit those options in the About Land section, I would recommend checking the scripting on each of the items directly.  Sometimes  you can disable the scripting for non owners, or non approved users directly through the scripted item itself.

Thank you Dakota for the advice. I took scripts off and hope it helps. Thank you also to everyone else who posted  advice too . I agree a sense of humor does help . I do feel amused, but I admit to being annoyed too, kind of mixed feelings.  It has helped me feel better to bring it up on here. . 

22 hours ago, Angelin Galicia said:

What do you do about someone who decides to just walk onto your land like they own the place with you standing right there,and they start trying out your chairs and your bed,checking everything out until you politely im them to see what they want ? They are friendly but annoying and then after they leave you put ban lines up and they im you to complain how unfriendly the neighborhood is? 

More fun than banning... turn off "safe" on the options tab of land, then set off a nuke - they will be teleported to their home position.

And, mute them, so they can't complain.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/23/2018 at 10:28 AM, Angelin Galicia said:

I explained that anyone who comes onto the land needs to ask perimssion first . And he replied that sl has no privacy except in skyboxes high in the air and that he leaves his  second life house open to anyone who wants to visit anytime and he proceeded to invite me to see his land .  I had taken my ban lines down to invite a friend to my land and then forgotten to put them up  . I was there trying to landscape and make changes when a stranger showed up and started walking around. I engaged him in conversation to see what he was doing there and he was friendly but a little annoying. I think he landmarked my place because he recently imed me that he had been coming back a lot but that I was never home . I do not want to be rude  . I am friendly in second life but I disagree with him that people in sl should not have any privacy unless they have a skybox. I know ban lines look unattractive to neighbors but not sure what else to do ? And if he landmarked the place can he still get in with the ban lines up? I do not want to eject this person and hurt his feelings but I also do not want him popping in whenever he feels like it. There appears to be a difference of opinion about privacy rights in sl. What is the nicest way to handle trespassing ? 

I never understand why people engage in conversation with trespassers.

Right-click, eject, ban.

There never needs to be a conversation.

Your land then never gets to be known as a "hang-out place".

If you would just get really indifferent and really impartial about doing this -- right click, eject/ban -- then you won't suffer so and get into a place where you need ban lines.

Ban lines are nasty to everyone else around you. Why make people who merely fly by and don't even come into your house suffer? Why make your fellow residents who live next door eat ban lines and bounce when more likely than not you could have a cordial relationship with them, as you seem willing to be nice to people?

Once you get into this habit about not over-thinking it and not philosophizing with everyone who wanders by, you will feel better.

Why on earth are you worried about the feelings of someone who has no respect, no courtesy, not even the most basic decency, and barges into your home and bothers you? Right-click, eject, ban. Spread this culture. Stop the philosophizing -- it only encourages them.

If you ban a person, of course they can't get into your land after that. So do it more often! Be free!

You can also uncheck "avatars can see me" so that anyone going by literally cannot see you. 

On 2/23/2018 at 8:05 PM, Qie Niangao said:

Well, I tested this and I learned something, but not what I expected.

I used group-owned land (not sure that matters) and when I turned off the "Everyone" Run Scripts setting, my alt who's not in the group could still use my scripted furniture on the parcel. (That furniture is set to group -- again, dunno if that matters.)

So then I disabled Run Scripts for "Group" too. Somehow I'd expected that the scripts in my furniture would continue to work, but that's wrong: they stopped working for everybody, including me. Now that I think about that, that would make sense if the scripts were working with Group-only enabled simply because they were in objects set to the land group.*

Finally I tested an object deeded to group on this group-owned land with both "Everyone" and "Group" disabled. A script in that object worked for everybody.

The next thing to test would be to see how this all works on land owned by an individual account. My hunch is that scripts in objects owned by the landowner would work for anybody, regardless of their group membership and regardless of the parcel's Run Scripts setting. But all my land is group-owned and it takes just enough effort to transfer land back and forth that it exceeds my very low threshold of laziness.

*... or maybe it depends on the fact the object owner (me) is a group member, and still in the region. I'm thinking of how parcel media controllers on group-owned land should be deeded to the land group, but would continue working for a while if owned by a group owner who's still in the sim.

You can turn off "everyone" but if you don't leave on "group", scripts do not work. The end. 

Some people do this and then realize it is backfiring on them and making life unliveable and not getting rid of griefers/trespassers.

That means: locked doors -- they won't open for anyone now; visitor trackers -- which some people use to ban trespassers; any scripted thing. So don't turn off group.

If there is a closed group, then you shouldn't bother with "everyone" turns off. If there is an open group, you should.

But really, why all this turning off scripts? The real issue is that you need to be bold, right-click, eject/ban -- these are what the tools are for.

No discussions, philosophizing, reasoning with trespassers, worrying that their feelings will be hurt. Ban them. You can type their name into the "access" list as "ban" also if you are having trouble catching them flying around so as to click on them.

7 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

But really, why all this turning off scripts?

Some landowners may want to allow visitors to wander around their land while the owners aren't around but hesitate to let those visitors use the scripted stuff on the land.

This is trickier to set up than I'd have thought, though. I finally bestirred myself to test the Group-only Script setting on individually-owned group-SET land, and the behavior is not what I'd expected:

script user scripted object GROUP-Owned
(DEEDED) Land
INDIVIDUALLY-Owned
(Group-SET) Land
Group Member
Group-Deeded
Group-Set
Non-Group X landowner's object
X other's object
Non-Group
Group-Deeded
Group-Set
Non-Group X landowner's object
X other's object

So unless I'm doing something wrong, this setting is pretty permissive:

• It doesn't seem to matter whether the avatar trying to use the script is a group-member or not, and
  • Scripts in objects owned by the landowner of individually-owned parcels will work even if the objects aren't set to the same group as the land. (That I particularly didn't expect.)

I wonder if this is documented somewhere. I mean, I've been a scripter and landowner in SL for over a decade and I'm surprised by how this works. Granted, I never disable scripts for anybody and have usually had only Group-Owned land, but still.

Edited by Qie Niangao
WARNING: NEVER use the "Table" feature of the forums software!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2257 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.