Something so simple ity should be obvious

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2314 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is a simple statement on the cost of this environment, and yes it is not a game it is an experience, something to be enjoyed. Yet, the pricing structure is a limitation in this adventure. After owning 3 full islands back in the day then rolling back to a homestead I do tire of spending  a thousand dollars a year for this adventure I am pulling back to my free lands. Yes I have to endure the lag of the mainland now but that is of little consequence as to the cost. Perhaps LL might wake up to the fact they made the best 3D adventure ever, and yes it is still a game folks. Anything created in the sense of 3D is a game yet this  has evolved  to something much more than just another game. The pricing structure is killing this environment. I have observed the supposed replacements, HIfi and sl2 they are wanting and do not seem to enjoy or employ the structure of this environment. I have been here a long time and have enjoyed many aspects of the GAME. ;) but I see it dieing a slow death because the powers that be seem to have their heads well planted in a very dark place. I finally dropped my homestead because it cost just too much

Totally unrelated to the OP, but about lunatics and full moon-crazies in general; On January 31 we are coming up to a Super (moon is at perigee), Blue (2nd full for January), Blood (total eclipse for those in Australia), Wolf (January's full is the Wolf moon) Moon.

This is pretty rare, last blue moon eclipse was 1982, the next one isn't until 2026.

• Like 2

Are the remaining members of Grateful Dead still touring? What about ELO2? I'm aware that Jeff Lynne owns the name Electric Light Orchestra so a tour as ELO2 is too close to the original name, kind of like MacDonalds as opposed to McDonalds. CBS is bringing Murphy Brown back now after 30 years. Antenna TV has the rights to the reruns now and frankly, I find them funny as anything out there now. Candace has/had some great timing. It won't be the same without Eldon, played by the late Robert Pastorelli, who was excellent in Dances With Wolves.

43 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

Totally unrelated to the OP, but about lunatics and full moon-crazies in general; On January 31 we are coming up to a Super (moon is at perigee), Blue (2nd full for January), Blood (total eclipse for those in Australia), Wolf (January's full is the Wolf moon) Moon.

This is pretty rare, last blue moon eclipse was 1982, the next one isn't until 2026.

Thank you Callum. I'm a Space.com freak. Information like that is fun to know. Everyone has some science geek in themselves, they just won't admit it. Now, to the OP...

10 hours ago, Coventina Dalgleish said:

Perhaps LL might wake up to the fact they made the best 3D adventure ever, and yes it is still a game folks. Anything created in the sense of 3D is a game yet this  has evolved  to something much more than just another game. The pricing structure is killing this environment

LL hasn't made the best 3D yet, that's still coming. That is similar to saying engineers gave us the best in TV with 720 or 1080 HD, yet now we have UHD, Ultra High Def. As for SL being a game, I ask one easy question, I hope you take the time to answer: What is the end goal of SL? I ask sincerely, don't be a troll, but tell us all why you see SL being a game instead as an experience.

Perhaps it's the first to gain X amount of points? Maybe the person to spend so much here, they should have stock shares issued to them (Is LL even on a public trading roster?). Maybe it's the similarity of SL being so close to PacMan or Asteroids, that's where you see the game here...Pong? Tell us all your view and be honest. To me, calling SL as a game is like fingernails across a chalkboard. A few years ago, someone came here and asked why SL was not rated as a video game. Bottom line, it was an interesting chat. As for your comment on pricing structure, it's a safe bet the suits have a clue to what they are doing. You heap phrase on their product but at the same time, you dump on the policy. This is like telling Kodak or Fuji (or AGFA for our European friends) how to manufacture and sell 35mm film. SL is more an experience than a game.

Thank you for reading. With the unknown assist from Callum, ladies and gentlemen and kids of all ages, I believe this is how one "Derails a Thread".

jimi_hendrix_experience-purple_haze_s.jp

• Like 5

On 1/28/2018 at 4:47 AM, Jerilynn Lemon said:

Are the remaining members of Grateful Dead still touring? What about ELO2? I'm aware that Jeff Lynne owns the name Electric Light Orchestra so a tour as ELO2 is too close to the original name, kind of like MacDonalds as opposed to McDonalds. CBS is bringing Murphy Brown back now after 30 years. Antenna TV has the rights to the reruns now and frankly, I find them funny as anything out there now. Candace has/had some great timing. It won't be the same without Eldon, played by the late Robert Pastorelli, who was excellent in Dances With Wolves.

Thank you Callum. I'm a Space.com freak. Information like that is fun to know. Everyone has some science geek in themselves, they just won't admit it. Now, to the OP...

LL hasn't made the best 3D yet, that's still coming. That is similar to saying engineers gave us the best in TV with 720 or 1080 HD, yet now we have UHD, Ultra High Def. As for SL being a game, I ask one easy question, I hope you take the time to answer: What is the end goal of SL? I ask sincerely, don't be a troll, but tell us all why you see SL being a game instead as an experience.

Perhaps it's the first to gain X amount of points? Maybe the person to spend so much here, they should have stock shares issued to them (Is LL even on a public trading roster?). Maybe it's the similarity of SL being so close to PacMan or Asteroids, that's where you see the game here...Pong? Tell us all your view and be honest. To me, calling SL as a game is like fingernails across a chalkboard. A few years ago, someone came here and asked why SL was not rated as a video game. Bottom line, it was an interesting chat. As for your comment on pricing structure, it's a safe bet the suits have a clue to what they are doing. You heap phrase on their product but at the same time, you dump on the policy. This is like telling Kodak or Fuji (or AGFA for our European friends) how to manufacture and sell 35mm film. SL is more an experience than a game.

Thank you for reading. With the unknown assist from Callum, ladies and gentlemen and kids of all ages, I believe this is how one "Derails a Thread".

jimi_hendrix_experience-purple_haze_s.jp

purple.jpg

Y’all worn me down over the video game question over the years. I can’t do any more wall of texts. I don’t have it in me and I’ve come to realize that like most things, no one actually wants their mind to be changed.

Is Second Life a “game?”

Answer: It’s complicated.

The end. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Nalytha said:

Y’all worn me down over the video game question over the years. I can’t do any more wall of texts. I don’t have it in me and I’ve come to realize that like most things, no one actually wants their mind to be changed.

Is Second Life a “game?”

The end. 

I have to agree. Writing the wall of text above took me a while to make sure I made my point.

To quote from a certain Action movie about a deranged L-A cop and his partner who is about to retire: "I'm too old for this sh*t". I'm sure someone else will step up from time to time and reiterate the difference.

"It's complicated". I bow to your simple, yet effective response.

• Like 1

I think part of it is simply that people have different definitions of "game". Some seem to go by a variation of "It looks like video games and I use it for entertainment" so it fits their criteria for "game". IMO it would be grand if they took a bit more ownership of their position (along the lines of "I use SL as a game") rather than projecting their choice as if it were universal, but hey ho.

Perhaps a better tactic in these debates would be for more of us who don't use SL as a game recognise that some do and spoke to different attitudes towards SL rather than projecting our own choices as universal as well.

It's a platform which some people use as a game and some people use for a wide variety of other things, like earning or supplementing a RL income, a chat platform with visuals, and a place to share and explore interests and creative pursuits.

Sorry if that's too much like a derail of the derail. Maybe because it's a quieter thread I was able to clarify my own thoughts. :SwingingFriends:Anyway, here's something purple from the depths of the Pacific.

5a7050f47a190_purplemudmonstergoogly-eyes.jpg.efd3738427d5149af3e50a68a89f9392.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Nalytha said:

Is Second Life a “game?”

The end. 

I have come to think of it like the chicken or the egg question.  The answer means more about the person than the question. It is a small look from their perspective. There is no right answer.

((however there is a wrong answer and that is saying it's a game :D ))

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2314 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.