A Derail Thread

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 754 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

..proving that it’s a “dog cat eat dog” world!

Our tomcat actually killed a neighbor's pekinese. He then gifted me a leg, which he left on the front porch. I buried it in the flower garden so nobody would discover what he'd done. I believe that makes me an accessory to murder, which is the only circumstance under which I'm content to be thought of as an accessory. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Our tomcat actually killed a neighbor's pekinese. He then gifted me a leg, which he left on the front porch. I buried it in the flower garden so nobody would discover what he'd done. I believe that makes me an accessory to murder, which is the only circumstance under which I'm content to be thought of as an accessory. 

It was probably self-defense. Those yappy ankle-biters think they are big dogs. My 89lb husky mostly ignores them.

On 9/30/2018 at 7:17 AM, Madelaine McMasters said:

I'm not a Cohen fan overall. I suppose it says a lot about my personal disposition, but I can't imagine liking any version of Hallelujah, except possibly a parody of it. Part of my dislike for the song may stem from my lifelong inability to spell the title. The majority of my dislike really is personal disposition. I'm not touchy-feely. I approach pain from any humorous angle I can find. And I can always find one... so far.

What?!?!? I suppose next you'll be telling me you're a Dodger fan!

grumble grumble grumble

Edited by Dillon Levenque

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2018 at 8:09 PM, Dillon Levenque said:

Ha! Allow me to demonstrate how to remove that 'non' by application of the Technique Levenque: simply using but a single oh-so-slightly unusual word from one post to spin up a complete maelstrom of nonsense. Behold.

The use of the word "Velvet" in a recent post about "Velvet Goldmine" spun me right out.

I own a record by 'The Velvet Underground'. These days they're quite well known but back when they were first around they were unheard of in regular rock n' roll on AM Radio, my only real source for new music. This was in my late teens or early twenties. Was no internet (Arpanet was either just about to start or had just started) and decades would pass before public access and the World Wide Web.

How I got the record way out in the boonies of North Central California I don't know. Saw it in a shop? One of the more outré girls I sometimes dated suggested it? Dunno. I do know my friends and I played it often. It isn't great rock and roll, but it was so DIFFERENT we didn't care. We played this song a lot. Yes we knew it was about a heroin addict. I don't think anyone I knew ever got into heroin, but still. Ugly. We still liked it.

and then.....

I worked while I was in Silicon Valley for several years with a really good mechanical engineer. He was quite a character and we hit it off right from the start. When new builds were under way he'd spend half his time on my production floor assembling, going back and red-lining his drawings, and then trying again. He built personally about half the new stuff (and we were constantly doing new stuff: customs were us). I once told the CEO in a Production Meeting that I had my two best guys working on a project, then named my lead assembler and the engineer.

One time he and his wife went to Prague (city of her family's ancestors) on vacation. As it happened I had recently read a history of what (coincidentally enough) is called 'The Velvet Revolution'(so-called because it was virtually bloodless; there was no fighting), Czechoslovakia's first attempt to get out from behind the Iron Curtain. While reading this history I came across a passage explaining how one of the motivating factors behind the creation of the original anti-Warsaw Pact/Soviet resistance was official government suppression of a musical group. The group in question played decadent American rock n' roll, and were accused of being degenerates and possibly drug users.

I was stoked! American rock n' roll helped fuel the end of the Iron Curtain? Hot Damn! So when I learned of my friend's planned vacation I asked him to see if he could find anything at all by this group even though it was about thirty years after their heyday. When he came back he had a CD (not an old record as I'd expected). He said, somewhat resignedly, "They were having a Reunion Tour". He told me he'd listened to the CD and they were horrible, even though he was much too old to judge that ;-). He may have been right, though. The group was 'The Plastic People of the Universe'.

There were two recognizable American songs on the CD, sung in accented but mostly correct English. A long, long cover of "Light My Fire" contains the colorful malaprop "...no time to wallow in your mire...", always good for a chuckle.

The big hit, inevitably (and you knew it would be): covering The Velvet Underground and Nico. "I'm Waiting For My Man".

You have not lived until you hear them sing "Hey white boy, whachoo dooink uptown?"

Regrettably (or perhaps lucky for you) I could not find that song on YouTube. Short of becoming a YouTube channel and (violating copyright by) posting the contents of my CD, I don't know another way to deliver it to multiple anonymous users.

ps: Yes, we did eventually peel the skin off the banana. Tragically, my possibly valuable old album has been violated. Woe is me.

Yes I know.... necro! 

But I just could not let it go. Had you searched for Waiting for THE Man you would have found it.

This one was posted up in 2014. There are others but I didn't look at them. Just grabbed the first one I saw.

Oops. Did I just derail the derailed derail thread for derailed derail threads?O.o

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Yes I know.... necro! 

But I just could not let it go. Had you searched for Waiting for THE Man you would have found it.

This one was posted up in 2014. There are others but I didn't look at them. Just grabbed the first one I saw.

Oops. Did I just derail the derailed derail thread for derailed derail threads?O.o

I love that you took the time to look for the song (although I can't imagine why you waded through my wall of text) but I wasn't looking for the Underground's version; that, as you saw, is readily available. What I wanted on youtube is the live version by Prague's favorites, The Plastic People of the Universe. That's the one I wanted to play here.

ETA: Never noticed that about "The" v "My"; I always called it by the lyric and must not have paid much attention to what it said on the album cover.

Thanks so much for the ever-so-appropriate derail :-).

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Dillon Levenque said:

I love that you took the time to look for the song (although I can't imagine why you waded through my wall of text) but I wasn't looking for the Underground's version; that, as you saw, is readily available. What I wanted on youtube is the live version by Prague's favorites, The Plastic People of the Universe. That's the one I wanted to play here.

Because I've known you for a long time Silly Dilly and I thought I was helping. You don't remember me under this account because I didn't use this account name on the other forum. That was my original account name. Or at least the first half of it.

I'm sorry. I messed up again. I just got so excited with the mention of the Underground that I completely forgot about the Plastic People when searching. Velvet Underground was one of my favorite Haight-Ashbury bands along with Blue Cheer and some others. I just got lost in the nostalgia. 

/me slinks off with bushy tail tucked

:$

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Selene Gregoire said:

wolf-toungue.jpg

Oh.

I was just about to declare my complete ignorance in front of everybody and ask you flat out :-). Thanks for the picture; I'd never have gotten it just from the textual clues. 

ETA: I probably should have looked a little closer at your avatar, speaking of pictures. That mighta helped.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Dillon Levenque said:

Oh.

I was just about to declare my complete ignorance in front of everybody and ask you flat out ?. Thanks for the picture; I'd never have gotten it just from the textual clues. 

ETA: I probably should have looked a little closer at your avatar, speaking of pictures. That mighta helped.

And here I thought I was the only one to ever call you Silly Dilly. :$

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

And here I thought I was the only one to ever call you Silly Dilly. :$

I'm not sure, there have been a few people who used Dilly. One who I hadn't seen in years dropped by a club I was visiting the other night and yelled "Dilly Doll!", which I had not heard in a long time (her now-absent friend used to call me that). You might be the only one who used the rhyme, though :-).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dillon Levenque said:

I'm not sure, there have been a few people who used Dilly. One who I hadn't seen in years dropped by a club I was visiting the other night and yelled "Dilly Doll!", which I had not heard in a long time (her now-absent friend used to call me that). You might be the only one who used the rhyme, though :-).

“What’s the Dilly-0?”- Homer’s neighbor?

Edited by Love Zhaoying
Ned Flanders?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 754 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.