A Derail Thread

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 711 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

51 minutes ago, Dillon Levenque said:

Clover's post back there about sansars on the lawn was the first new post when I logged in. I continued reading from there, past all the silly sansar stuff

*dons her Maddy/Dillon cap*

About 15 years ago, while living in Albuquerque, NM, I was an assistant manager at a huge movie theatre. We played "muzak" in the auditoriums between the shows which was dictated by the corporate office and not something we could change because of the set up. Before the start of a movie a man came out of the auditorium and demanded to speak to a manager. He proceeded to bend my ear with a tirade about Stevie Nicks playing over the speakers, how much he hated her and insisting we needed to turn it off. This went on and on for what seemed like an eternity until the movie started and he ended with a comment about the increase in ticket prices. That's what he was really mad at, but instead of just saying that he took it out on the music and poor Stevie and me because I happened to be there. He was less than thrilled when I tried to explain to him that we zero control over what was pumped into the auditoriums.

More often than not, people either refuse or are unable to say what really bothers them for whatever reason. Some threads remind me of this, particularly the ones where the OP mentions, at the very least, that the other posts being irrelevant.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

Wait a sec, Senor Zhaoying.  That was MY pun.  And I'm definitely not above that sort of thing.  ?

How do we know which pun she means? (It could have been Sansared.) And you KNOW I’m all about bad puns. Madame Loon. ?? I only meant “we” as in any of us who pun, hope they are appreciated, and wasn’t taking direct credit. 

30 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

How do we know which pun she means? (It could have been Sansared.) And you KNOW I’m all about bad puns. Madame Loon. ?? I only meant “we” as in any of us who pun, hope they are appreciated, and wasn’t taking direct credit. 

Let me relieve your uncertainty. Rolig is correct; I meant hers. 

Imagine my dismay at learning she is capable of such villainy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Somewhere here or in another forum far, far away the subject of Dr. Who came up. I mentioned that I had never seen an episode. Well, I'm seeing one now! Amazon Prime has 12 seasons beginning 2005. The Doctor is Christopher Eccleston. I've already decided to give it a good try, just barely into the first episode ("Rose"). Got me hooked as he is shooing Rose out the door saying, "Go have your lovely beans on toast.". I think I'll like this.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

If you add up the days for Portland it comes out to 284 days.

Actually, in that chart, the third column is the total of the first two.  So it is saying that Portland is getting 142  days that contain some sun - total sun or partly sun.   Which leaves 223 without sun.

Despite the amount of sun we get here, when I retire then I'll move somewhere where the climate is a bit more temperate.  I'm really tired of cold.  Even with our current daytime highs in the 60s and 70s, it is still only 30-35 when I go to work in the morning.  And it won't be long before we don't go higher than 30s and 40s.

46 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Actually, in that chart, the third column is the total of the first two.  So it is saying that Portland is getting 142  days that contain some sun - total sun or partly sun.   Which leaves 223 without sun.

Despite the amount of sun we get here, when I retire then I'll move somewhere where the climate is a bit more temperate.  I'm really tired of cold.  Even with our current daytime highs in the 60s and 70s, it is still only 30-35 when I go to work in the morning.  And it won't be long before we don't go higher than 30s and 40s.

Hm. I must not have looked as closely as I thought. Either way, 223 days without sun is a load of horse hockey. It's just flat not true. We have way more days of sunshine, even partly sunny, than that.

Where I live is a little bit warmer than Colorado then and I live a stone's throw from the Coast Range (we can see the foothills from the driveway), due west of Portland. We didn't go far when we moved last year. From Beaverton to Forest Grove. We like it here so much better.

ETA: For the first time in my life, I've actually had a conversation about weather. A real conversation, not just how's the weather.  xD

Edited by Selene Gregoire

6 hours ago, Dillon Levenque said:

Losing the Focus Department:

Clover's post back there about sansars on the lawn was the first new post when I logged in. I continued reading from there, past all the silly sansar stuff (including a truly horrific pun by someone I'd have thought was above that sort of thing) and then into foliage colors and weather, until Iva dropped the non-sequitur about the coyote.

I thought, "Wow, talk about a derail! What was this thread about, anyway?"

And then I remembered where I was.

I've always had a good sense of direction. With the occasional exception of IM windows, my track record (which I guess is just a general consensus among peers, really) of knowing where I am at any given moment is very good.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Parhelion Palou said:

New Orleans gets a longer year than the rest of us? I'm not sure how that works. Must be a new LSL function.

Oh ffs. It was a typo. I use the number pad. :$ xD

I've also let my nails grow out. I'm so not used to typing with long(er) nails.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:
8 hours ago, Parhelion Palou said:

New Orleans gets a longer year than the rest of us?

Oh ffs. It was a typo.

Damn - I had considered moving there just for that reason.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Spent the afternoon reading old newspapers about Suffrage, and how (male dominated) society viewed these protesting women.

5b410f7510c3e9117af5c52979a0e7ad.thumb.png.030fe9568805d2a7a3e4c9dc46096920.png

This one from the same period has me shaking my head in disbelief.

f96213081c7e1d40b8c204bd25e33490.thumb.png.f7b724b7d462834504bdc8524cb40d5e.png

I am glad we got past stupidity like that!

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

We did? When did that happen?!

Oh, I don't think we are at the destination yet, but it's getting better then it was 100 years ago (England was 1918). Yes, there is obnoxious weirdness in the incels, but it doesn't come close to what's reported in the papers back then - and there is a lot of it reported, most all of it negative.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 711 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.