A Derail Thread

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 711 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 10/19/2018 at 1:01 AM, Dillon Levenque said:

Somewhere here or in another forum far, far away the subject of Dr. Who came up. I mentioned that I had never seen an episode. Well, I'm seeing one now! Amazon Prime has 12 seasons beginning 2005. The Doctor is Christopher Eccleston. I've already decided to give it a good try, just barely into the first episode ("Rose"). Got me hooked as he is shooing Rose out the door saying, "Go have your lovely beans on toast.". I think I'll like this.

That was the relaunch series. Eccleston was brilliant but walked away after one series.  Then it got better..............

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

On that note, I early voted yesterday! Each area (district) has different ballots, so they on-the-spot printed a custom ballot. There was no wait, plenty of workers. The “no wait” part was a little scary..hoping for some change. Please vote!

I like the system here in Oregon. They mail out the ballots and all you have to do is either drop them in the box or mail them back.

• Like 1

Just now, Selene Gregoire said:

Mine has been chicken scratching for decades. Dion't let what it looks like bother you. Just makes it harder for someone to forge.

They wouldn’t count it here if non-match. Another state finally made it “provisional” if non-match, but then they contact you and you (or your attorney) have to bring your ID  for verification.

4 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:
9 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I didn’t do mail-in due to my signature being awful, possible non-match. Old people problems.

Mine has been chicken scratching for decades. Dion't let what it looks like bother you. Just makes it harder for someone to forge.

Yeah, since my signature has always looked like crap, the current crappy version isn't much different that the old one.  You really only need a couple of letters to truly match a signature and for most people, those letters don't change even if the rest of their writing does.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

Oh, I don't think we are at the destination yet, but it's getting better then it was 100 years ago (England was 1918). Yes, there is obnoxious weirdness in the incels, but it doesn't come close to what's reported in the papers back then - and there is a lot of it reported, most all of it negative.

I actually agree. Some time ago, I heard a radio discussion of the effect Orson Well's "War of the Worlds" radio program had on broadcast journalism. That program was both "fake news" and a magnificent example of the power of fear, delivered by the absence of the calming voice of the newscaster (who went silent as the martians presumably attacked). You see echoes of this in "Body found in Iowa cornfield, more at 11" memes. The internet has ramped that up to more than 11. Things are not as bad as they seem because we don't stay tuned to good news.

The demographics of voters in the US skews older and there's evidence that their ideologies will pass away faster than they pass down. Millennials, the people least likely to vote, are also the ones who'll live the longest under whatever ideology gets voted into office. This is why I encourage all the young people in my life to get out there and vote their conscience, and their future.

I am optimistic (possibly because I'm contrary).

• Like 1

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

They wouldn’t count it here if non-match. Another state finally made it “provisional” if non-match, but then they contact you and you (or your attorney) have to bring your ID  for verification.

That's true in any state. What I'm getting at is it doesn't have to be a perfect match. That is an impossibility for a human being. 

Just writing your sig 10 times in a row you will see differences. It takes an expert (forensic document examiners) to be able to tell if it is forged or not. As we get older our hands can shake while signing. They know this. So unless it is wildly out of whack, you probably don't have anything to worry about.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I didn’t do mail-in due to my signature being awful, possible non-match. Old people problems.

I've a business acquaintance who's signature looks like a seismograph plot. He's also an alcoholic. During a business trip, I noticed that the duration and magnitude of his earthquakes on restaurant checks was approximately proportional to his blood alcohol content.

Should Wisconsin start requiring signature matches, he'll have to ensure he votes on the same number of beers as he registered.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I've been outdone...

https://www.savannahnow.com/news/20181031/there-are-babies-everywhere-octopus-at-aquarium-at-skidaway-comes-with-surprises-inside

What do you suppose she named them?

She's also of the species Octopus Vulgaris. I've really really been outdone.

...weeps.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

A quarter million of each! (One article says octopi can hatch up to half a million eggs.) What a massive anchor baby problem what would be if she's an illegal immigrant.

And think of the millions of tax dollars it would take to deport all those kids once they were a little older and brainwashed educated!

Luckily, in her case, she isn't.

After the "All the women in the forum are trying to steal my new boyfriend!!" thread and then "Help! I'm trying to steal Scylla's new boyfriend..." thread, it's difficult to see "Taking application for new girlfriend in SL!" as a serious new thread (though it's in the Lifestyles and Relationships section, so it probably is). 

It would be too funny though, if it was from our admirer (it's not, unless it's an alt of his). 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, moirakathleen said:

After the "All the women in the forum are trying to steal my new boyfriend!!" thread and then "Help! I'm trying to steal Scylla's new boyfriend..." thread, it's difficult to see "Taking application for new girlfriend in SL!" as a serious new thread (though it's in the Lifestyles and Relationships section, so it probably is). 

It would be too funny though, if it was from our admirer (it's not, unless it's an alt of his). 

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 711 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.