A Derail Thread

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 737 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

55 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

The fall colors are really beautiful this year.

Tis what hate about Colorado and loved about growing up in the midwest.  In Colorado folks go to the mountains to Oooh and Ahhh over the aspens turning gold.  The only orange and red leaves around here are the few houses that have planted some maples.  I'm totally not impressed with the gold leaves of the aspen trees.  

56 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Tis what hate about Colorado and loved about growing up in the midwest.  In Colorado folks go to the mountains to Oooh and Ahhh over the aspens turning gold.  The only orange and red leaves around here are the few houses that have planted some maples.  I'm totally not impressed with the gold leaves of the aspen trees.  

I have an autumn flame maple in my yard that goes fluorescent pink in the fall. It's hard to beat maples for fall color. Yet I still love my quaking aspens for their ever-moving leaves. They are grove trees, spreading primarily through roots, and always trying to sneak up out of my lawn. A single root propagated clone (identical DNA) can cover up to 100 acres. Li'l, the next time you look at that endless expanse of gold, consider that you might be looking at what is genetically a single tree. If you see large patches of aspen that are turning color at different times, those are different clones.

Our fall color has been degraded by the large stands of dead ash, half the canopy in some areas. It's depressing to see vast tufts of grey amidst all the fall color. We've known the emerald ash borer was coming for years, but few people planned ahead and now they're facing huge losses in their landscaping. One neighbor, who's house was hidden from the road by two acres of ash trees, with a patio perpetually in the summer shade, now looks like they just built. There isn't a proper tree within 100 feet of the house.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters

35 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I was in NM last week — I never knew the Aspens were so brilliant!

• Like 1

I'm within an easy drive of Maddy, though in a colder microclimate.  We have ash and birch -- which turn yellow -- and a smattering of red maple.  Everything else is mostly oak -- which turns brown -- and conifers.  Those red maples provide the only real color other than yellow, and they are not the brilliant play of oranges and reds that we'd get if they were sugar maples.  We do have low plants -- sumac and the like -- that provide some flashy counterpoint, but this end of the Midwest is boringly monochromatic compared to the New England woods where  I grew up.  Of course, it was worse in Iowa, where I lived for a long time.  That state is too open and grassy for my liking.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

We have ash and birch -- which turn yellow -- and a smattering of red maple.  Everything else is mostly oak -- which turns brown -- and conifers.  Those red maples provide the only real color other than yellow, and they are not the brilliant play of oranges and reds that we'd get if they were sugar maples.  We do have low plants -- sumac and the like -- that provide some flashy counterpoint, but this end of the Midwest is boringly monochromatic compared to the New England woods where  I grew up.  Of course, it was worse in Iowa, where I lived for a long time.  That state is too open and grassy for my liking.

I love what little sumac I have left and plan to move it to a better location. I also have some lindens, which have a lovely smell in spring. I recently planted some purple robe locust, which I stumbled over (literally) at a local garden center. They're fantastic in the spring, with blooms that last for weeks...
image.png.1e3d81ce2ade817c03e2cabd4e39f2d6.png

In a good spring, the crabapple on my patio will be in full bloom for about 13 minutes.

I'm also planting ornamental fuzzy top grasses, but not enough to rival Iowa.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Move to western Oregon. :D

8 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Yuck - Colder and wetter than here in Colorado and way too close to my brother.

Nah. The weather here is pretty much like it is in Lousyana. I mean Louisiana. Just a tad bit cooler. Highs for the rest of the week in the mid 70s. It doesn't rain here (in Oregon) near as much as what people think. Seattle gets waaaaay more rain than we do. And eastern Oregon is a high plateau desert so...it's pretty hot here in summer. It's not uncommon to have near or above 100F for 2 to 3 weeks in August, high 80s and 90s in July and September.

Depending on where your brother lives, there's very little chance of ever running into him. If he lives in Portland... well... we avoid Portland like the plague. A bit too weird for us. lol We're also about 40 miles west of Portland. ;)

1 hour ago, Selene Gregoire said:

It doesn't rain here (in Oregon) near as much as what people think.

I remember it used to. Or at least I remember it seemed to. And we'd get colder winters than we do now. I grew up in a small town that is barely bigger now than when I left it.

This recent Summer was marked as being the one which made us break down and buy two window air conditioners for the house.

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

... and way too close to my brother.

We can't help you with this.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

I remember it used to. Or at least I remember it seemed to. And we'd get colder winters than we do now. I grew up in a small town that is barely bigger now than when I left it.

This recent Summer was marked as being the one which made us break down and buy two window air conditioners for the house.

Fun facts:

Portland gets 44 inches of rain, on average, per year. The US average is 39 inches of rain per year.

Portland averages 3 inches of snow per year. The US average is 26 inches of snow per year.

Despite the snow and cold in the winter in Colorado, the reason so many people tolerate it is the amount of sunny days that we get.  At this altitude with very little humidity, seeing and feeling the sun can make a lot of difference during the winter months. Though I'm still moving when I hit retirement age.

Oregon:
image.png.1df89f5ada0b9a1d0de6a8a8b6b3253d.png

Colorado
image.png.cefe3f7a5efac34e0c29e6f12b5d1df6.png

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Despite the snow and cold in the winter in Colorado, the reason so many people tolerate it is the amount of sunny days that we get.  At this altitude with very little humidity, seeing and feeling the sun can make a lot of difference during the winter months. Though I'm still moving when I hit retirement age.

Oregon:
image.png.1df89f5ada0b9a1d0de6a8a8b6b3253d.png

Colorado
image.png.cefe3f7a5efac34e0c29e6f12b5d1df6.png

Hmm. If you add up the days for Portland it comes out to 284 days. That leaves only 81 days of partly cloudy to cloudy days. Less than 3 months.

Oregon is a bit further north of the equator than Colorado so that does have an effect. 

New Orleans gets about 438 days of sunshine and is much further south than either Colorado or Oregon.

https://www.currentresults.com/Weather/Louisiana/annual-days-of-sunshine.php

Naturally, the closer you are to the equator, the more sunny days you have. 

When I moved to Oregon in October 2006, it rained the whole winter and we had an "Indian Summer" that year. I don't think I saw the sun more than 2 or 3 days that winter. That hasn't happened since. I often find myself wishing/praying for rain. Especially in summer when it doesn't rain past June until late September/early October. Because it just gets too freaking hot but thankfully not as hot and humid as Lousyana, where I grew up.

Losing the Focus Department:

Clover's post back there about sansars on the lawn was the first new post when I logged in. I continued reading from there, past all the silly sansar stuff (including a truly horrific pun by someone I'd have thought was above that sort of thing) and then into foliage colors and weather, until Iva dropped the non-sequitur about the coyote.

I thought, "Wow, talk about a derail! What was this thread about, anyway?"

And then I remembered where I was.

• Haha 6

17 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:
32 minutes ago, Dillon Levenque said:

including a truly horrific pun by someone I'd have thought was above that sort of thing

We aim to please!

Wait a sec, Senor Zhaoying.  That was MY pun.  And I'm definitely not above that sort of thing.  ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 737 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.