Vampires and their little game

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1894 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

/me adds @AlexandriteGem to her Naughty list.

It is a compromise of sorts.  Would you rather be dragged into their RP by accepting/rejecting bite requests or not be involved at all but you may (or maybe not) have your name added to yet another collection.  At least you don't have to block every progeny user's spam just because you stopped by their store one time ... I would rather be bitten every time I go to a new store than be added to all those spam lists.  But that's just me and wandering off topic.

Anyway ...

Progeny evolved as a fix to bite request spam.  They still need a way to keep score of unique "bites" so you can't just spam an alt but at least you are not involved in any way.

• Like 2

I would rather just sign on to a virtual, animated chat in peace.

I could not care less about your naughty list and see your point but it is personal and private just like my block list, and it does not show in anyone's record that charge to be taken out of it.

Just a personal preference. I would like to visit a place and have a chat about anything, without having idiots stick close to try to sneak in a bite. Not everyone is into that vampire crap

9 minutes ago, Morgan Rosenstar said:

Nor every sim either. The last time I got a window warning me that someone wanted to bite me was months ago.

Never seen that myself. Wish it existed everywhere or you could just wear the garlic necklace to keep Progeny away, like it does with Bloodline.

Just wish this ridiculous little role play was not imposed on those not interested in having their name and information in some list they did not choose to be on, then have to pay if you want to get out.

I really don't understand the concept of getting even mildly annoyed at this. If you have no involvement in their RP other than your name being added to some inconsequential list that does not affect your SL even in the slightest, then why does it matter so much? The only "information" collected is limited to the amount of info you yourself put in your profile for everyone that plays SL to see. If you do not intend on taking place in the RP, it may just be best to, for lack of better words, get over it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

And I don't understand how insensitive such a thought is, intruding into my personal preference and usage of SL.

But to each his own. Others are likewise annoyed at the same Progeny little crap and nothing has been done to respect their preferences. Because of the same lame reasoning. "Why should you be even mildly annoyed at creating an account name and identity that I capture and log elsewhere for my own purposes and charge you to release, without your consent?"

There's far more evil in rl, all based on insensitivity towards others and their right to choose as well. What gives anyhow, right?

Be well.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, AlexandriteGem said:

intruding into my personal preference and usage of SL.

Every jerk that approaches me with some really lame 'want SLex' line is 'intruding into my personal preference and usage of SL'.  If I let that stop me, I'd have been gone roughly 10 min into this thing.  If I tried to come here to b!tch about it each time, I'd be banned from posting due to spamming the forums.

It is what it is and you can make whatever you want of it.  The more time you spend focusing on issues such as this, the less time and energy you have to truly enjoy and immerse yourself into all the things you want SL to be for you.  The best advice anyone every gave me here was to simply ignore whatever I didn't like and move on.  (Side note - it is actually pretty darn good advice for RL too).

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Clover Jinx said:

Where are my scripting chicas at? I want to start a Neko Pounce pyramid-scheme game and become a gazillionaire!

I know it was a joke but ... neko pounce for luck?

Maybe earn a bell if you pounce enough people.  More pounces ... err moar pounces raise your bell level.  Failure to pounce lowers your level.

It also needs to involve catnip and fishes and mouse toys and fuzzy toys on a stick,

And bento ears!

If someone is pounced too often they get cat scratch fever and you lose points if you pounce them.  You have to buy them a fatty tuna roll to restore thier cat-appeal.

And then there are vaccinations and hairball medicine.  If someone wants to be a kitty's owner they need to make sure their pets stay healthy!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I know it was a joke but ... neko pounce for luck?

Maybe earn a bell if you pounce enough people.  More pounces ... err moar pounces raise your bell level.  Failure to pounce lowers your level.

It also needs to involve catnip and fishes and mouse toys and fuzzy toys on a stick,

And bento ears!

If someone is pounced too often they get cat scratch fever and you lose points if you pounce them.  You have to buy them a fatty tuna roll to restore thier cat-appeal.

And then there are vaccinations and hairball medicine.  If someone wants to be a kitty's owner they need to make sure their pets stay healthy!

I like this scheme a lot more than vampires, because ..... Kitties! (No contest at all on the cuteness factor.)

• Like 3

@Madelaine McMasters You've set me on fire so many times that I wear Nomex long johns under my clothing. When are you going to set up the Temple of the Cleansing Fire? Only L$25 to have your soul cleansed, plus a bonus photo of the ordeal cleansing.

Edited by Parhelion Palou
Should've quoted in the first place. Ah well.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

My solution to vampires is a scripted hud to give them a taste of their own medicine.

Oh, you gonna bite me? Well let me just give you a dialog box saying your avatars soul has been claimed by me and sacrafice to satan.

But really though, it is just a UUID in a database, while I understand it may be a issue that having the UUID in then database feels like you have been unrightfully stolen from(??? I'm grammar today), I feel the same way, but try to just keep in mind it is just numbers and mathematical operations happening at an amazing speed.

If they are not sending you stuff like a specific land goblin who sends out daily notecards to thousands of people on SL you probably know who I am talking about but I can't name them, it really isn't that much of a big deal.

You can also bring out the wooden steak and beat them with it if it makes you feel better(provided the land you are on permits it, if it is your land, even better!).

• Like 1

I'll say the very same thing I have said every single time this topic has come up...

Let us say I have a little game I play in sl. My game is to stand near people, while having others in IM, then telling those others in my IM that I just made the person I am standing next to..pee their pants. The person I am standing by has no idea I have done it. I say nothing, I do nothing, I don't annoy them in local...I am merely chatting with a friend in IM. Then I take that newly wet person's name, and add it to a list that only I and my friends can see, somewhere out of the realm that is sl and al that linden lab owns(ie, my own website, blog, whatever have you). I don't inform the folks I have made pee their pants, they are none the wiser...but I have a list...and they are on it. In fact, sometimes, I like to add people from the forums on that list when they annoy me(it takes a lot to really annoy me, lol) it's a good stress reliever...

(/me sneaks up to so and so, all ninja like, and pounces  /so and so gets a terrible fright, screaming out in horror as a sudden gush of warmth begins to run down his/her legs, /me slinks away quietly into the shadows muttering "another one bites the dust".....)

Ok mine doesn't look like that..but..yeah, friggen hilarious, and a great stress reliever to imagine literally scaring annoying people enough to make them pee their pants, and even more so when they don't know they've done it. Pretty harmless if you ask me, but perhaps others feel differently and can explain to me *why they do(probably not, no one ever has, but I'm open to hearing it :D )

Am I harming anyone? Am I ruining their sl experience? Am I forcing my rp on them?... If your answer is yes to any of those, feel free to explain to me *precisely how I am doing any of those things, when they haven't even got a clue I did it in the first place.  Ever chat about another av, in any way, in IM with someone? Are you harming them in doing so? Are you ruining their sl experience? Are you forcing your rp on them? Nope, right? 

I explained this way better in the last thread..but...this topic kinda makes me laugh every time I see it. no, I am not laughing at your expense, or anyone's really, it's just a lil funny that people get angry, upset, etc.. over something they didn't even know happened. The scenario can be described a myriad of different ways, using different topics, different acts, etc...but the end result is always the same. Unless someone is *actually ruining your sl experience, *actually harming you, *actually forcing their rp on you...it really is super easy to get all "out of sight, out of mind" about it. I have no doubt my name is on Progeny's system somewhere, I also know it's on all kinds of other lists..and probably a bunch of arbitrary(and probably hilarious in some cases) ones at that. I see no need to get bent out of shape, or upset about it, because, again..out of sight, out of mind. Super easy to pretend it never happened when you don't know it ever did ;) 

I'm not knocking Op, or anyone else...just offering perspective :D 

17 minutes ago, Tari Landar said:

Let us say I have a little game I play in sl.

I play such games in RL. I had a puppet theater when I was a child, and loved making up silly conversations between characters. When I started going out with friends, I took that to the next level and started ad-libbing conversations between people at a distance from me. I might be sitting at a table with friends and spot a couple a few tables down, engrossed in conversation. I'd read the dynamic as best I could and then start winging it...

He: What do you mean the baby isn't mine?
She: You forgot we adopted her?
He: I've had a long day, you can't expect me to remember every little detail.

One evening at a campus bar, a friend of mine started squishing people's heads between his fingers, using perspective to make himself a giant. I immediately jumped in and killed nearly everyone on the street.

All the world's a stage and I am merely the puppeteer.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I play such games in RL. I had a puppet theater when I was a child, and loved making up silly conversations between characters. When I started going out with friends, I took that to the next level and started ad-libbing conversations between people at a distance from me. I might be sitting at a table with friends and spot a couple a few tables down, engrossed in conversation. I'd read the dynamic as best I could and then start winging it...

He: What do you mean the baby isn't mine?
She: You forgot we adopted her?
He: I've had a long day, you can't expect me to remember every little detail.

One evening at a campus bar, a friend of mine started squishing people's heads between his fingers, using perspective to make himself a giant. I immediately jumped in and killed nearly everyone on the street.

All the world's a stage and I am merely the puppeteer.

Oh I do that all the time too :D So do my kids, and we love every minute of it.

The squishing head thing, yeah, that's kinda something most of my family has always done. My great grandma used to do that to my great grandpa when he was being a cantankerous old coot. (he passed away at 103..so, old is pretty appropriate here, lol). She taught us when we were young why we'd see her put her fingers up like that. My mom's mom did it too, so did my mom. It usually comes with the verbal "I'm squishink, yer head"- followed by a squish/crush sound that I can't verbally describe, lol). Outside of my family, or people that have done this because of my family doing it so often...I've never seen others doing it :D Nice to know we're not alone in our squishink game (and yes, squishink is the proper word for it :P )

3 hours ago, Parhelion Palou said:

Only L$25 to have your soul cleansed, plus a bonus photo of the ordeal cleansing.

I really should get the temple back online, though I don't see that L$25 fee working for me. Nefarious as I am, I'd charge only for a successful cleansing. Judging by what I've seen from those of you who've dared to enter the temple and then reentered the wild, I'd have nothing to collect.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Haha 3

How can some be "flunkees" or "wanna be" anything when the two systems function, on a basic level, the same, except one annoys people a hell of a lot less and isn't a system that gets folks banned left and right from sims? (in fact, that was the solution, for most people that enjoy that rp...because bloodlines itself is looked down upon)

I would expect people to be more okay with the system that doesn't make as big of a public spectacle of itself, lol. That seems rather odd, to me, for folks to do the exact opposite. I rarely ever understand people, though.

At any rate...I don't think I'll ever understand why people get so miffed about this. But, there are countless threads about it, do a search for the more recent ones...good read ;) 

• Like 2

Point blank: The "RP" system mentioned in this thread is not the first to operate the way it does and it will not be the last.

Of the countless database systems that Second Life users have created and maintained over the years, what amounts to a database of play pretend Vampire victims is incredibly tame by comparison.

Since the database in question has no affect whatsoever on your day to day usage of Second Life I'd have to say the following applies: Don't sweat the small stuff.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1894 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.