Crowded Events Premium

JoJo Aurelia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2427 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I read that premium residents get into events first.  How many avatars, or resources, are put aside for premium? If any.  If the amount allowed "isn't" used, does it become available to the rest of the grid?  I'm going on my eight years (seems like decades), in Second Life as a full-time resident, logging most days for more than four hours.  Recently, I've begun to wonder why I can't get into events in a timely manner.  It's never taken me so long, even if I use a hud that automatically TP's.  Is allocation of resources a possible problem?  I wasn't aware of premium Elite status to events--which is cool unless it isn't fully used, until the other day.  I had premium for years and wasn't offered early entry (that I'm aware).  Now, I just want to know why it's a 3-5 day press to get into events (for me).

2 minutes ago, Faye Feldragonne said:

I read that premium residents get into events first.  How many avatars, or resources, are put aside for premium? If any.  If the amount allowed "isn't" used, does it become available to the rest of the grid?  I'm going on my eight years (seems like decades), in Second Life as a full-time resident, logging most days for more than four hours.  Recently, I've begun to wonder why I can't get into events in a timely manner.  It's never taken me so long, even if I use a hud that automatically TP's.  Is allocation of resources a possible problem?  I wasn't aware of premium Elite status to events--which is cool unless it isn't fully used, until the other day.  I had premium for years and wasn't offered early entry (that I'm aware).  Now, I just want to know why it's a 3-5 day press to get into events (for me).

Here is the info about the premium access to events.  Its not that they get in first.  Its more that that once its full a few who are premium can get in on top of that number

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Faye Feldragonne said:

What it boils down to is if a sim/region can hold 40 people then when it hits the usual max of 40, an additional 10% (4 people) who are premium would still be able to get in.  Additionally, this thus means that the number of people would need to fall back below 40 before a non-premium person could get in.

• Like 2

I am not premium but I can say that my friends report that they have ALWAYS gotten into crowded venues on the first try as well as flying between crowded regions that were also "full". So if you are someone that really NEEDS :D to be at an event at the getgo I would think that Premium would be good!

I go to the ones I want to get to on blogger day, so not really a perk for me :ph34r:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

What it boils down to is if a sim/region can hold 40 people then when it hits the usual max of 40, an additional 10% (4 people) who are premium would still be able to get in.  Additionally, this thus means that the number of people would need to fall back below 40 before a non-premium person could get in.

Yep. And at first glance, one might think that things haven't gotten any worse for non-premium folks, it's just premiums who get access to that special extra capacity that sims were granted. Indeed, I suspect that's what the Lab intended: nobody suffers, but premiums get a little benefit.

If you think a little deeper about it, though, the actual effect ends up being pretty harsh to non-premiums. Imagine the demand for super crowded events for a few days was way above the 40 limit. Before the change, non-premiums had as much a chance as anybody else to get into those 40 slots. Now, those extra 4 slots will always be full of premium members -- which means that the entire population of the sim will gradually shift towards 100% premium.

That's a bit theoretical, though. I mean, eventually enough premiums will get served that the 4 extra slots will clear out and non-premiums can get a shot at new openings below the 40-demand threshold.

(I'm sure an actual mathematician with some queuing theory background could express all this more precisely.)

• Like 2

As a premium who events a lot, it has been a small improvement, a nice one. Outside of The Arcade, region full mesages seem to be rarer, although it's something that can never be more than a gut feeling.

If I jump on a non-premium alt I can still get into first day events, maybe after a try or two, not to the point of needing a sim-hammering script any more.

• Like 1

I have never understood the need to get into a shopping event on the first day or so.  There are so many events these days, if one is full I move to another and try again in a couple of days if there really is a must have item in the busy event. Or I wait until its in their main store.  Going to the newer smaller events often I can discover new designers which is always a bonus too.  

I hear people say "I got in <insert big name event>  on the first day/hour"  Oh nice, what did you buy?  "Nothing but I got in"  mmm ok.  I guess it's like a badge of honour?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I have never understood the need to get into a shopping event on the first day or so.  There are so many events these days, if one is full I move to another and try again in a couple of days if there really is a must have item in the busy event. Or I wait until its in their main store.  Going to the newer smaller events often I can discover new designers which is always a bonus too.  

I hear people say "I got in <insert big name event>  on the first day/hour"  Oh nice, what did you buy?  "Nothing but I got in"  mmm ok.  I guess it's like a badge of honour?

Given the popularity of gacha resales (at least I'm assuming they're popular based on the ratio of gacha items vs regular products listed on the marketplace some days) I'd imagine that the first few people to list items from newly opened events would have less trouble/make more profit reselling their unwanted duplicates than those listing them once the event has been open a while, the marketplace has become saturated and the inevitable price wars have begun.

That's about the only sensible reason I can think of for needing to get into events as soon as they open, but I suspect for the majority of people it's more about being the first to wear it in public so they can complain about how everyone is copying their style once all their friends start wearing the same thing. xD

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

thank you to those who gave constructive answers on how premium works. It usually takes me four days. Those flying across the grid without issues, blessings and good will.

to those trying to figure out why I want to get into a new event, to you I say, stay on topic. 

wouldn't it be keen if just once there wasn't a judgement on these forums when someone just has a question? I rarely post here anymore.

4 minutes ago, Faye Feldragonne said:

thank you to those who gave constructive answers on how premium works. It usually takes me four days. Those flying across the grid without issues, blessings and good will.

to those trying to figure out why I want to get into a new event, to you I say, stay on topic. 

wouldn't it be keen if just once there wasn't a judgement on these forums when someone just has a question? I rarely post here anymore.

I guess that's aimed at me.  I wasn't judging,  I have always been curious why it is important to get in early.  The reply about getting gacha's out on sale went some way to  explaining that 

3 hours ago, Faye Feldragonne said:

wouldn't it be keen if just once there wasn't a judgement on these forums when someone just has a question?

Why do you need to hide from judgement?

(just kidding)

It's not limited to these forums.  i have noticed that typically after a new topic is posted, the fist few responses are counter posts.  This them leads to people countering the counter posts.  If it is a good topic for discussion you get comments supporting the original (it works!), comments opposing the original (when does it not work?), and even some comments about alternative views, (is there another way to do the same thing in a different manner?)

Faye, it's a good topic.  There is no 100% solid answer to the question "is it worth it" for anything so people are going to poke it and see how it fits for them.

Let me answer the question on why I need to get into events on the first few days:
It fits my competitive nature.  I want to be first. 
I am also impatient.  I want it now.
Schadenfreude.  Because listening to people in fashion groups wail because their TP hammer has been running for 2 hours straight while I have been there and back 3 times already turns me on.
5317257_orig.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I have always been curious why it is important to get in early. 

Oh gosh, I am one of the people who camp out The Men's Depot for about 4 days before it's opened, camming through the banlines, and watching each display rezzed by the creator. I can hopefully buy and wear something new that other people won't have until the following day.

Well, that's in theory, I still see 100 people with the same new hair >.<

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Like 2

On 09/09/2017 at 6:12 PM, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

I suspect for the majority of people it's more about being the first to wear it in public so they can complain about how everyone is copying their style once all their friends start wearing the same thing. xD

haha Just read this after typing the above. *slinks away redfaced XD*

• Haha 6

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2427 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.