How can Linden Lab consolidate active parcels?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2524 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I see a lot of abandoned land on the mainland and was wondering if it would be possible for LL to consolidate all the owned parcels together to make a more active and populated mainland. I know people value location and not having neighbors but maybe there is a way to make people move where everyone would be happy. Maybe open a new continent and move people over? Good idea? Bad idea? 

12 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

I see a lot of abandoned land on the mainland and was wondering if it would be possible for LL to consolidate all the owned parcels together to make a more active and populated mainland. I know people value location and not having neighbors but maybe there is a way to make people move where everyone would be happy. Maybe open a new continent and move people over? Good idea? Bad idea? 

if people want to live near neighbours they always can buy land next to them.. or buy at auctions.

I dont really feel the need to be moved to a more "crowded" area.

• Like 3

It's a nice benefit that a relatively less populated Mainland now renders faster than more crowded island regions, whereas it's always had a reputation for the opposite.

That may be somewhat a function of my (short) draw distance, so islands' lack of surrounding regions doesn't much matter for me.

Anyway, I wouldn't want to be moved anywhere. Went through that with Zindra, and never want to experience it again.

• Like 2

I agree with Qie :D.   I have seen 198 FPS with my alt inworld, another "chic" on another platform  and lots of other programs running. This on Swanbridge where my shop (and building pad) are. In the olden days I was happy to see 17fps. Yes, my connection was slower but not THAT much slower LOL.   My shop is actually in a fairly populated (road and water) part of mainlans and "protected" by road and now waterland maintenance which just happened last week. So personally I am thrilled. 

There was a time when it SEEMED (no actual knowledge) that mainland was getting "consolidated" onto fewer servers and things were REALLY slow for awhile. Then there was a big exodus plus new mainlands opening up and such AND of course private lands. Now it IS fairly empty and as a mainlander -- at the moment anyway) I am thankful for that. And mainland in general is running MUCH better (thanks to whoever decided that was a good thing). 

There are tons of available properties and rentals so anyone can pretty much have anything type of land situation they want. My favorite lands were in Winterfell where there were double prim lots and plenty  of waterways, paths and such. And there was a building code so that the neighborhood DID look like a neighborhood.  My current "home" (I am usually on my building pad) is in a Victorian community which is very close together, looks good (I have derendered things not to my taste like particle fountains) and a nice place to visit and chat.  

I think the devs could put their time to use on better projects (see today's pulled from the archives inventory thread for example).  I DO very much appreciate them making things look prettier on mainland when they can.

For ME, one quick project that would definitely improve the look of mainland would be to smooth out all that "bummy" stuff. I assume that it is bumpy to easily identify maintenance land, but since there is a lot that will probably always BE in maintenance, then smoothing it back to rolling hills would be prettier. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

Good idea? Bad idea? 

Bad idea as it is. As much as I resent Klytyna's and others constant bashing of mainland, they do have a point: there are lots of people in SL who couldn't care less about others and even some who love to annoy their neighbors. You really, really don't want to live anywhere near any of those and in many parts of mainland you can't avoid them.

More themed areas would have been a great idea though. There are several such areas already - on mianland, at private estates connected to mainland and on spearate private continents and smaller sim groups. Those are always the parts of SL that function the best. People who like the set frame get together and build something that is consdierably bigger than the sum of its parts. Those who don't like the frame, well Second Life is huge and there's a place for everything there - it's just not the same place for everything.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

It sounds like the upside of having abandoned lands is that people are able to live like wealthy ranchers separated from each other by acres of land instead of being cooped up together like people in an overcrowded city. 

bingo

and, no neighbors means low lag too

:)

• Like 1

If they had some sort of building code that they enforced, this would be a good idea. That's what makes private estates so popular. Admins that clean up the crap.

As long as mainland is the wild west, people will always dislike it.

[Full disclosure, I own a mainland parcel or two.]

• Like 1

I would not want to be moved somewhere that was more populated than where I am now.  

A couple of weeks ago I explored around parcels available on estates.  What I found on other areas which were much more populated, was lower FPS, lower percentage of scripts being ran and lower (much lower) spare time.  So I'm happy where I am and with what is around my area.  I feel pretty fortunate actually, to be on the mainland sim that I am on, with the way it is currently.  

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2524 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.