How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

6 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

True. They do make big difference. But a good part of the difference in these two images is the camera. Getting in close with the default 50mm setting you start to get a fisheye look. Your nose and lips are disproportionately exaggerated. Even the small back-off for the second image makes a huge difference and reduces the fisheye effect.

Experiment looking at both sets of makeup and hair using Ctrl 8, 9, and 0.

...and... pretty avatar.

Now I'm curious. What is the official focal length range of the Firestorm Camera?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bagnu said:

Now I'm curious. What is the official focal length range of the Firestorm Camera?

DISCLAIMER: Fast and easy calulations!

If the FOV stated as default in my FS viewer (60deg) follows normal camera optics conventions (measured diagonally), it would be comparable to approx 35mm depending on the aspect ratio of your viewer window/screen.

Total zoom range with viewer full screen on my laptop goes from 88 to 5deg FOV which would be approx 22 to 500mm in old school 24x36 film cameras (it's again depending on aspect ratios and stuff like that)

I tend to take portraits/modelshots 4-5-6 clicks of ctrl-0 in from ctrl-9, which corresponds approx with the 85 - 135mm I prefer for those kind of shots in RL  (I love my 85/1.2 and 135/2.0 :D )...

Edited by taisiyakarpenko
Some corrections/clarifications
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, taisiyakarpenko said:

DISCLAIMER: Fast and easy calulations!

If the FOV stated as default in my FS viewer (60deg) follows normal camera optics conventions (measured diagonally), it would be comparable to approx 35mm depending on the aspect ratio of your viewer window/screen.

Total zoom range is from 5 to 174.8deg FOV which would be approx 1 to 500mm in old school 24x36 film cameras (it's again depending on aspect ratios and stuff like that)

Thanks!!! I was just curious. I usually adjust to what looks good. Which I don't always even have time to do!!!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Enfysmae said:

I needed a professional looking pic for an in-game job I got.  I decided to try to tilt it a bit, to fit better. I hope this is okay. 

Spellbound

Okay okay okay, you remind me of a thicc wood-elf from Morrowind!! It's them eyes I swear... you are lovely though!

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Bagnu said:

I am not going to argue with Taya: she's a professional and, in my experience, knows whereof she speaks. I absolutely do not.

However, Myra Wildmist did a super series in Kultivate on simulating different lens types a number of years ago. This is what she says:

When you take a snapshot in Second Life, you’re essentially using a 50mm lens: The default settings are almost the same as a standard 50mm lens. I say, almost the same, because most 50mm lenses in real life have an angle of view around 48 degrees. The SL default camera angle of view (View angle in Phototools.) is set to 1.047 radians or 60 degrees. They probably do that because 60 degrees is the focused field of view of a typical human eye, so it’s more comfortable to set the angle of view of SL at 60 degrees for normal viewing.

https://kultivatemagazine.com/2016/07/25/sl-photography-simulating-popular-lenses-in-phototools/

My default setting for most of my pics simulates a medium telephoto lens (70-135mm).

• Like 3

On 1/31/2022 at 8:09 PM, Solo Alpha said:

Snapshot_046.thumb.png.45b179e17ee61fc2c163797b87e014a3.png

I'll concur with Charalyne: I like your slightly geeky avatar a lot. And this is a GREAT pic!

5 hours ago, Ayeleeon said:

snapshot

At Mother Road with @xLunaea

Such a lovely photo of both of you! The angle and composition is great!

5 hours ago, Enfysmae said:

I needed a professional looking pic for an in-game job I got.  I decided to try to tilt it a bit, to fit better. I hope this is okay. 

Spellbound

Of course it's ok! It's a wonderful pic of you! Lunaea is right about the eyes!

4 hours ago, Walelu Summerwind said:

1.26.2022.small.jpg

Beautiful. For some reason, I associate your pics with this range of tones, Walelu. Sort of warm and exotic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

What is the rename for the focal length in Black Dragon? I was trying to replicate the settings in that Kultivate article, but generally speaking the whole DOF system is re-named?

EDIT

DUH. Sorry. You're talking about BD.

I actually do have that info somewhere, but not on this computer. Sorry!

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
Clarification
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

Thanks! I really like using Black Dragon. Until I have to use Black Dragon to do things I do in other viewers. Haha.

Ok, I THINK view angle is in the Machinima sidebar under "Camera," nearish the bottom.

Field of View, f-number, and Focal length are in the same sidebar, a bit higher up, under "Depth of Field."

• Like 2