Linden transactions problems

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4315 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Got a reply from Local payment support saying the lindex and paypal methods are down in sl at the moment for members outside the us. Its such a pain i got tiers to pay and saying be paitent and it will take 24 to 72 hrs to sort isnt helping when i have not been able to buy lins since beginning of March...Grrrr Anyone else out there with the same issues???

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nevaeh Davi wrote:

Got a reply from Local payment support saying the lindex and paypal methods are down in sl at the moment for members outside the us.

Well - the good news is that isn't true. Who did you speak with that told you that? I'd be curious as to the support path you took in order to correct any misinformation.

Thanks

Blondin

There are MANY questions in Answers and other places about "why can't I buy L$", "my pre-paid card isn't working", "how can I update my payment details", etc. etc. Blondin.  While most of us older residents know by now that this is the policy we could really do with a big, bold statement on payment methods, future direction, etc.  From the volume of questions I would think making it hard to pay must be showing up in trading figures and can't be good for LL, unless you really only want US customers.  Can you flag this to someone?

[Or just tell me if I'm wrong.  It's never been easy to pay LL but over the past few weeks (?) the situation has got a lot more confused]

Blondin Linden wrote:

Nevaeh Davi wrote:

Got a reply from Local payment support saying the lindex and paypal methods are down in sl at the moment for members outside the us.

Well - the good news is that isn't true. Who did you speak with that told you that? I'd be curious as to the support path you took in order to correct any misinformation.

Thanks

Blondin

Are you saying that Paypal is working again outside the USA, Blondin ?  - specifically, is Paypal working for new users in the UK now ?

During the last few days, we have heard many concerns regarding some issues with our billing system. We are currently beta testing a new system that will ultimate make it easier, and less expensive, for customers to shop and conduct business in Second Life.

As is true with any large-scale beta, we have run into a few bugs and system issues. The most important of which has been that some customers have tried to pay us (to keep their account current) and they were unable to complete the transaction. If you’ve encountered this problem, please accept our apologies. Some are concerned that their accounts will go delinquent and that they will lose their membership and/or their property. Rest assured that everyone who was not able to provide payments, due to this system issue, are having their accounts manually restored as we work to fix the larger issue. Those accounts are still in good standing and these customers will not lose their status or land as a consequence.

We will soon publish a blog post that provides additional detail about this program and what to expect going forward. Thanks to everyone for your patience as we roll out updated billing systems.

/me is liking the amount of information coming from the Lindens lately.

I'm crossing my fingers that Paypal will again be available for non-us members. Otherwise I really hope I never have to update my payment info...

If Paypal will be available again, I'd like to know if the max total of 5 payment agreements for each Paypal account ever is revisited and changed? Thing is, sometimes when someone have issues with using Paypal, they have to cancel to the agreement and set it up again, thus using one of the 5 agreements. If this someone has issues another time, they might have to do the same thing, using another agreement. Further, if they also have an alt or more and want to use Paypal as payment info for these, 5 total agreements are easily reached causing issues if something happens again.

- Luc -

Many thanks FJ.

I would like to post my own experience on this issue, but I really don't know if it would work for everyone.

Since 2007, I've never let Linden Lab to bill directly my credit card. In the first days of each month, I su up all payments for the month (Premium account, tiers, buying L$) and send the money to my Credit. Than when sure that I have credit I start to spent it (or live it there to pay Premium/tiers).

The first time I've heard of this issue was on April/1, when a friend RL/SL asked for help, because she was unable to buy L$. As she lives near my home, she came here, and in my computer, she logged in her account. Knowing of her previous problems, we haven't even tried to buy directly, but erased her payment info and, when filling an order to buy L$, automatically, we received a form to enter a payment method. She filled it with her credit card's info and received the L$ in seconds.

The next day, many posters were already complaining on this. I've told some times of this experience with Ruth, but it seems to not work to everyone. At least one posters said that tried it, but the system didn't accept the payment method.

Two days ago, not needing to, but to try another approach, I sent US$ 50 to my credit. In the next page (LindeX™ Exchange: Choose a Payment Method and Complete Purchase) I changed my card, from Visa to MasterCard. Went back to my account summary, be sure that the money was there, and than went back to LindeX and place an order to buy L$. It worked smoothly.

Although I do know that this an issue to many, I was not capable to reproduce the problem. And I am not prone to spent more $$ here just to try :smileyvery-happy:. But here is my advices:

First - try to send money in advance and than use this money;

Second - erase your payment info, and when prompt to, fill the info again.

[edit to add] I am in Brazil. Just cannot  seem how Europeans or Canadians can have more problems than we :smileytongue:

BTW, just this month we had our tax for international payments rised almost 3X :smileymad:

Luc Starsider wrote:

Yes but I do wish they would stop trotting out the party phrase, "Thank you for your patience", because most of the time, there is no patience to thank us for - we are forced to live with what they do and we don't feel inclined to be patient about it. Saying, "Thank you for your patience", is ridiculous but they all do it - follow the leader, just like lemmings. And because they all do it, it sounds so false, which it is, of course.

FJ Linden wrote:

During the last few days, we have heard many concerns regarding some issues with our billing system. We are currently beta testing a new system that will ultimate make it easier, and less expensive, for customers to shop and conduct business in Second Life.

As is true with any large-scale beta, we have run into a few bugs and system issues. The most important of which has been that some customers have tried to pay us (to keep their account current) and they were unable to complete the transaction. If you’ve encountered this problem, please accept our apologies. Some are concerned that their accounts will go delinquent and that they will lose their membership and/or their property. Rest assured that everyone who was not able to provide payments, due to this system issue, are having their accounts manually restored as we work to fix the larger issue. Those accounts are still in good standing and these customers will not lose their status or land as a consequence.

We will soon publish a blog post that provides additional detail about this program and what to expect going forward. Thanks to everyone for your patience as we roll out updated billing systems.

Hello FJ

thanks for posting some info on this. I was caught up in the whole fandango with this months tier payment. My complaint isnt so much that you appear to have had issues with the payment & collection methods that I have utilised over the last 3 years but that none of LL support staff knew of it? I was pushed from pillar to post, each LL employee telling me something different..ranging from "well LL have been busy with server roll backs and havent got around to taking your cash yet" to "youre a non US resident we can no longer help you"..I believe it is an essential part of any company, to keep your staff informed and up to date..this whole scenario kept me worried and in limbo for days.

If only one employee explained the situation to me, it couldve been resolved with so much less stress & heartache.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Luc Starsider wrote:

Yes but I do wish they would stop trotting out the party phrase, "Thank you for your patience", because most of the time, there is no patience to thank us for - we are forced to live with what they do and we don't feel inclined to be patient about it. Saying, "Thank you for your patience", is ridiculous but they all do it - follow the leader, just like lemmings. And because they all do it, it sounds so false, which it is, of course.

I'm not that old in SL terms, and even I am tired of that phrase. The Linden participation here is different, though. I might even go as far as calling it *communicating* with us :) Being informative, and addressing the actual concerns of the residents. Very refreshing, I find. I'm hoping it's a trend that's going to continue.

- Luc -

FJ Linden wrote:

Rest assured that everyone who was not able to provide payments, due to this system issue, are having their accounts manually restored as we work to fix the larger issue. Those accounts are still in good standing and these customers will not lose their status or land as a consequence.

The blog post will be important because whereas you can offer these assurances, there are people with landlords who won't give people time to pay up, partially because those landlords are unaware there is an issue with customers being able to buy Linden dollars.

FJ Linden wrote:

FJ,

Thanks for this update, it does explain why I am unable to purchase Linden Dollars (either via website or in viewer) with my credit card.

I have not seen an official update though, which would be highly appreciated. Today I (after endless attempts to buy LS) I finally decided to purchase them via an approved 3rd party - as I could no longer wait with inworld tierpayments, and got my LS withing 2 minutes.

My preferred way to purchase them is however via the viewer,  can you please give us an update?

Thanks!

FJ,
Thank you for posting the update! Please let me remind you that the new local payment system is intended for residents outside of US, thus it's also been causing trouble for many residents who are not really good at English. I'm willing to help them by sharing informations in my language, but for doing that I need to know exactly what's going on.

I went away in RL for a month and now my card doesn't work. Well well, didn't expect to see another act of God in my second life. Let me catch my breath… [Play Darth Vader's breathing sounds here]

Many thanks to everyone on this topic, your comments helped me a lot.
from Japan ;)

Blondin Linden wrote:

Nevaeh Davi wrote:

Thanks

Blondin

About the problems with Paypal for non-US Residents, the source is your own Official articles: see http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Local_Payments_FAQ#What_payment_methods_are_available.3F

See also a large email sended by Linden Lab to all (I assume) non US Residents in their own language (I recevived the email in Spanish, you can see a copy here) about the "new system" of payment info and PayPal as no available.

i just spent $$ on my credit card to buy  $L, transaction  was cancelled due to "Linden dollar price has changed, cancelling transaction" message.

The $$ were billed to my credit card, a 'credit' applied to my account, yet I am still unable to buy $L.

Submitted support tickets and called customer support, problem is  not resolved.

In the meantime it says I have used my alloted purchase strength FOR THE MONTH, but i HAVE NOT RECIEVED GOODS OR SERVICES! 

Transaction bug? Not where my credit card is concerned!

LINDEN HAS MY MONEY, I dont care HOW or WHY.

Until my money is refunded,or $L are credited, I will be telling EVERYONE EVERYWHERE to STAY AWAY from buying from 2nd Life. If this problem is not resolved in one more day (it been 48 hours), I will also be filing a complaint with my credit card company and report a theft charge.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4315 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.