"media plugin cef" where can i get it

tx9 Constantine

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 617 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

media_plugin_cef.dll is part of your viewer.  It is installed automatically when you install the Linden Lab viewer or any of the third party viewers.  You will find it in the program files directory on your computer.  On mine, it is at C:/ProgramFiles(x86)/SecondLifeViewer/llplugin .  If you are having problems ....

• In Preferences → Sound & Media → Sounds, make sure the “Enabled” checkbox to the right of the “Media” slider is checked
    (For audio, check “Streaming Music”)
  • In Preferences → Sound & Media → Media, check “Allow inworld scripts to play media”
  • Make sure the issue is not with the specific television you are using, by attempting to view videos on a television that plays video normally for other Firestorm users.
  • Make sure that “Enable plugins” is ticked in Preferences → Network & Files -> Connection

On 28.06.2016 at 2:04 AM, Rolig Loon said:

media_plugin_cef.dll is part of your viewer.  It is installed automatically when you install the Linden Lab viewer or any of the third party viewers.  You will find it in the program files directory on your computer.  On mine, it is at C:/ProgramFiles(x86)/SecondLifeViewer/llplugin .  If you are having problems ....

• In Preferences → Sound & Media → Sounds, make sure the “Enabled” checkbox to the right of the “Media” slider is checked
    (For audio, check “Streaming Music”)
  • In Preferences → Sound & Media → Media, check “Allow inworld scripts to play media”
  • Make sure the issue is not with the specific television you are using, by attempting to view videos on a television that plays video normally for other Firestorm users.
  • Make sure that “Enable plugins” is ticked in Preferences → Network & Files -> Connection

It's still doesn't solve a problem. Error is still appearing

Unfortunately, since you didn't identify the problem or say exactly what error message you have been getting, it's hard to know where to start.  The OP in this old thread simply asked where to download the plugin.  I added generic information about troubleshooting, even though he, too, never identified what his "problems" were.

In many cases it is not the viewer or plugin that triggers that error. The video or media you are trying to watch or hear may be the problem, in which case you can't fix it. The one that made the media must fix it.

There is a lot of old media in SL that just doesn't work now that we have moved on to CEF.

If you have the error with ALL media... it may be a viewer problem.

Typically when you ask a tech question we need the info from HELP->ABOUT... and a good description of the problem, what you did to pop the error message, the text of the message, in your case where the media is, and what it is.

I'm having the same issue with mine, the media plugin cef won't load, and it's preventing me from actually logging in. I have no idea how to fix this aside from a full reinstall of my viewer..

This is what I pulled from my Help>About:

Firestorm 5.0.7 (52912) Jun 13 2017 03:57:58 (Firestorm-Releasex64) with OpenSimulator support
Release Notes

CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1090T Processor (3199.99 MHz)
Memory: 10232 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 SP1 64-bit (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon (TM) R7 370 Series

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.17.0010.1433
OpenGL Version: 4.2.13417 Compatibility Profile Context 15.301.1201.0

RestrainedLove API: (disabled)
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.47.0 OpenSSL/1.0.1i zlib/1.2.8
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.9.1
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.61
LLCEFLib/CEF Version: 1.5.3-(CEF-WIN-3.2526.1347-32)
LibVLC Version: 2.2.4
Voice Server Version: Vivox

Settings mode: Phoenix
Viewer Skin: Vintage (Classic)
Window size: 1920x1058 px
Font Used: Deja Vu (96 dpi)
Font Size Adjustment: 0 pt
UI Scaling: 1
Draw distance: 128 m
Bandwidth: 1500 kbit/s
LOD factor: 4
Render quality: Medium-High (4/7)
Advanced Lighting Model: No
Texture memory: 512 MB (1)
VFS (cache) creation time (UTC): unknown
Built with MSVC version 1800
July 14 2017 19:19:10 SLT

If someone can please help me out, I would appreciate it very much, thank you!

Edited by SeiraLyn84 Mayako

1 hour ago, charran Mubble said:

ts nothing to  do with the tv not working in sl, it happens at launch . we just can not log in..

We'll have the same problem responding to you that we had with the OP in this ancient thread. Without any information about your system or the specific message you may be receiving, all we can do is guess, probably incorrectly.

On 15/07/2017 at 5:30 AM, Lindal Kidd said:

SeiraLyn,

Maybe this link will prove helpful: http://www.firestormviewer.org/tv-not-working-on-4-7-7/

That web page is looking horribly out of date, with rather questionable solutions involving installing specific, outdated. versions of Adobe Flash Player. This is a security risk and, honestly, it's talking about a very old version of Firestorm.

I am not disagreeing with the point about wanting the specific details, such as OS and viewer details, but neither Firestorm nor Linden Lab do a good job of keeping their web sites up to date as the software changes. Too many of the old and obsolete web pages never change, and don't even get links to more recent information.

In particular, older Firestorm viewers are explicitly blocked from connecting to SL, and the block would have taken effect on v4.7.7 at about the time that Lindal Kidd posted. While that viewer can still connect to OpenSim grids, the page is specifically saying it's specific to Second Life.

It's now six months since Firestorm v5.0.7 came out, a beta of v5.0.9 is being tested, and I am wondering if this web page has stopped even being wrong.

Your point about some of the pages in the LL and Firestorm support sites is well taken.  More than that, though, this thread is a good example of why it is often unwise to pay a lot of attention to threads that were created here months or years ago.  Technology changes very rapidly, so advice that may have been relevant a long time ago (or even last spring) can be pointless today.

FWIW, I had that same message about media_plugin_cef.dll myself yesterday and cured it by simply restarting the computer. Sometimes things just get out of whack and you need to go back to square one.

On 1/4/2018 at 2:53 PM, Rolig Loon said:

Your point about some of the pages in the LL and Firestorm support sites is well taken.  More than that, though, this thread is a good example of why it is often unwise to pay a lot of attention to threads that were created here months or years ago.  Technology changes very rapidly, so advice that may have been relevant a long time ago (or even last spring) can be pointless today.

FWIW, I had that same message about media_plugin_cef.dll myself yesterday and cured it by simply restarting the computer. Sometimes things just get out of whack and you need to go back to square one.

For anyone else coming to this thread searching for answers,  I can confirm Rolig's advice on restarting the computer worked for me today.I I don't know if its relevant or not but prior to getting the message, I had rebooted my modem.  I am also on firestorm 

Proof my media works by absolutely none gratuitous image of Jason Mamoa  randomly on my TV

Snapshot_002.png

On 1/16/2018 at 5:29 AM, Cindy Evanier said:

For anyone else coming to this thread searching for answers,  I can confirm Rolig's advice on restarting the computer worked for me today.I I don't know if its relevant or not but prior to getting the message, I had rebooted my modem.  I am also on firestorm 

Proof my media works by absolutely none gratuitous image of Jason Mamoa  randomly on my TV

Snapshot_002.png

you can drool over Jason Cindy, but i'm going to drool over the tv.  um..what tv is that?  i think i have TV envy and must have that tv.

It's back, with Firestorm 64_5.1.7.55786 on Linux ... and by the way, reviving an old thread is perfectly valid when old problems reoccur.

CEF is Chromium Enabled Fartgoblins or Framework or something to do with migrating to or from HTML5 video.

The "libmedia_plugin_cef.so" file provided with the latest Firestorm seems to be bad ... the easiest way to fix it is to rename that file in your lib folder to libmedia_plugin_cef.so.new, then copy the old file from your old Firestorm installation.  If you don't have the old installation anymore, just unpack it, it's not a big deal ... or get the file from your Chrome web browser folder, it's the same file.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LXIX Tomorrow said:

It's back, with Firestorm 64_5.1.7.55786 on Linux ... and by the way, reviving an old thread is perfectly valid when old problems reoccur.

CEF is Chromium Enabled Fartgoblins or Framework or something to do with migrating to or from HTML5 video.

The "libmedia_plugin_cef.so" file provided with the latest Firestorm seems to be bad ... the easiest way to fix it is to rename that file in your lib folder to libmedia_plugin_cef.so.new, then copy the old file from your old Firestorm installation.  If you don't have the old installation anymore, just unpack it, it's not a big deal ... or get the file from your Chrome web browser folder, it's the same file.

Calling Whirly Fizzle!  Calling Whirly Fizzle!  Advice Check needed on Aisle Four.

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Calling Whirly Fizzle!  Calling Whirly Fizzle!  Advice Check needed on Aisle Four.

I'm afraid I am totally useless with pretty much everything Linux, especially media issues.
@mygoditsfullofstars who replied above is on the Firestorm team & is a Linux guru, so I'm sure he'll be able to help  :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mygoditsfullofstars said:

Any chance you could be a little more specific? Bad how? (don't just say "it doesn't work")

Well, I'm not a Chromium media developer, or any such thing, so I wouldn't have a clue how to quantify this in the grand scheme of things, but as far as SL is concerned, ... "it doesn't work".

A little more specifically for SL, media textures don't work.  What's worse, when ever there is an object with a media texture, TVs or otherwise, out in front of your camera, out to the maximum draw distance you have set, you get a dialogue box explaining that your media player cef plugin is not working and that it needs to be re-installed.  When I log in at Nova Albion I get three such dialogue boxes before I rez, and they need to be dismissed before I can do anything else ... and then I'll get more.

My quick and simple trouble shooting started with realizing that I didn't have the problem with the previous version, so I learned as much as I could about libmedia_plugin_cef.so, and offered the simple solution above.

Another solution would be to rename the libmedia_plugin_cef.so in your SL lib folder to anything (so it doesn't exist), and let the OS use the one that's in your usr/lib folder, since it was provided by Google Chrome, and is likely correct.  Personally I like the .so files to be in the folder that the app. is looking in, instead of defaulting to the system folder, it's quicker.

And by the way @Lindal Kidd ... this is only Aisle One  :)

• Haha 1

Hey. Faced this problem only today. It says: "Error media_plugin_cef media plugin. Please reinstall the plugin or contact its developer." In SL, everything moves with a long delay. And twitching. Like a robot. Can you help me, please? https://gyazo.com/118e52fea53b82d4774299c9f0697563

21 minutes ago, DoloresLokko said:

Hey. Faced this problem only today. It says: "Error media_plugin_cef media plugin. Please reinstall the plugin or contact its developer." In SL, everything moves with a long delay. And twitching. Like a robot. Can you help me, please? https://gyazo.com/118e52fea53b82d4774299c9f0697563

Have you read through this old thread and tried the fixes suggested?

• Like 2

yay, reviving dead threads for fun. 

I have run into the very same issue DoloresLokko described, and also found my issue with it. 

for me the cause of the issue is my VPN which is set up to only work for certain programs for performance reasons. 

one of those, however, is google chrome, and as mentioned above, the media_plugin_cef being chromium based, that gets snatched and blocked by my vpn. turning vpn off fixes it, as well as running vpn global for everything. hope this helps anyone in the future. ^^ 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Its interresting how people rewact to the question not being spesific enough. althou it is and the answer is takking into account things not asked about.

If you ask someone "where is the milk". The answer is "IN the fridge or in the store", not. If you gonna eat serial you have to make sure you dont takke to much milk and to put milk in the bowl before corn flakes and so on."

After many of the "How much milk in the bowl answrer" i can understand the TS asking if someone can answer what he actually asked about.

• Confused 2

On 10/8/2020 at 3:24 AM, Tsar Langsdorff said:

Its interresting how people rewact to the question not being spesific enough. althou it is and the answer is takking into account things not asked about.

If you ask someone "where is the milk". The answer is "IN the fridge or in the store", not. If you gonna eat serial you have to make sure you dont takke to much milk and to put milk in the bowl before corn flakes and so on."

After many of the "How much milk in the bowl answrer" i can understand the TS asking if someone can answer what he actually asked about.

what?

Hi Everyone.too solve the issue of media_plugin_cef. I downloaded a program called...Asmwsoft pc optimiser. then select process manager.where i found a false host name.I then blocked and deleted it.I made sure no old copies of secondlife were on my computer.before going too this page.https://www.firestormviewer.org/windows-for-open-simulator/..download the veiwer for open simulator..Welcome back too secondlife..Enjoy.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 617 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.