Linden gift cards

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2463 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Will there, or ever been linden gift cards?

Like, just go to a store and get a card. (For example, you can buy a card for imvu credits) No personal info needed.

I want to buy lindens, and I would, but I'm not paying for them with my cc or from my bank account. Second life is just a time killer for me, but would like to have some lindens since everything requires lindens. 

(Since I haven't been here for very long, idk what LL would/could do.)

1. Create a Paypal account
  2. Link it to your credit card or checking account
  3. Printout (or save on your phone) Paypal's cash deposit barcode.
  4. Deposit cash into your Paypal account (Paypal's web site has a list of locations you can do this)
  5. Add your Paypal account to your SL payment methods.
  6. ???
  7. Profit

This has the added bonus of being an enclosed account if you want to do business in SL.  It never touches your real life bank, it only uses it for verification.  Any profit or loss can easily be seen since it is not hidden with your mundane bills or day today purchases.  Everything you put in or take out of SL is all in one tidy place without other transaction to obfuscate just how much you are spending ...

• Like 2

Basically what I meant is, if it were possible, I would want to just pay for a sl linden gift card with cash in a store, and use the gift card to pay for lindens. No personal info or fuss needed.....  I just don't want to use my cc. So, i guess no lindens for me since i'm not willing. lol

andhisnameis wrote:

Basically what I meant is, if it were possible, I would want to just pay for a sl linden gift card with cash in a store, and use the gift card to pay for lindens. No personal info or fuss needed.....  I just don't want to use my cc. So, i guess no lindens for me since i'm not willing. lol 

That would mean having gift cards in stores throughout much of the world, or maybe throughout one or two countries. That's not going to happen. LL is just a small company, and Second Life is unknown to the populations at large, so it couldn't do anything like that.

I've bought prepaid game cards before. I did it because the game started refusing my credit card and there was this incredibly cute armor that I had to have. You can buy prepaid game cards at grocery stores... with cash! From there you can enter the card's code into your anonymous game account. Ergo, an untraceable cash deposit.

As the op mentioned, IMVU sells prepaid game cards in various retail stores. Is IMVU a bigger company than LL? I don't know. I've also seen a lot of free to play Korean MMOs offering prepaid cards but those don't allow you to cash out like SL or IMVU.

If you think that there is some kind of federal anti-money laundering regulation preventing SL from using gift cards it appears that stores limit the amount of prepaid IMVU cards per federal regultaion. The limit is $200.

• Like 1

I guess the short answer is that, for whatever reason, LL don't think the potential return, in the form of extra business,  on producing, selling and administering a gift card system would be worth the costs of setting it up and maintaining it.

It does seem an awful lot of work when most people can, and are content to, buy their L$ either with a credit card or PayPal or Skrill.   

Innula Zenovka wrote:

I guess the short answer is that, for whatever reason, LL don't think the potential return, in the form of extra business,  on producing, selling and administering a gift card system would be worth the costs of setting it up and maintaining it.

It does seem an awful lot of work when most people can, and are content to, buy their L$ either with a credit card or PayPal or Skrill.   

It's also interesting to note that people over at IMVU complain just as much about IMVU's compliance policies such as tax forms, etc, as people do here about SL.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

VCammarano wrote:

The only thing I could suggest is to buy a prepaid credit card to purchase the lindens.

yep... and find out prepaids aren't accepted... have a look at the knowledgebase to see the payment options.

Only Credit Cards, Paypal and Skrill are the general accepted payment methods.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 4/2/2016 at 1:30 PM, Bree Giffen said:

I've bought prepaid game cards before. I did it because the game started refusing my credit card and there was this incredibly cute armor that I had to have. You can buy prepaid game cards at grocery stores... with cash! From there you can enter the card's code into your anonymous game account. Ergo, an untraceable cash deposit.

As the op mentioned, IMVU sells prepaid game cards in various retail stores. Is IMVU a bigger company than LL? I don't know. I've also seen a lot of free to play Korean MMOs offering prepaid cards but those don't allow you to cash out like SL or IMVU.

If you think that there is some kind of federal anti-money laundering regulation preventing SL from using gift cards it appears that stores limit the amount of prepaid IMVU cards per federal regultaion. The limit is $200.

But you can't use prepaid cards to buy linden dollars

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, ReVid Unplugged said:

I used to purchase L$ with prepaid cards.  But when LL decided to ban prepaid cards, that was the last L$ purchase I made.  Until LL comes up with a way for me to pay cash for L$, I will not be paying any more money into Second Life. 

LL, has to maintain real life information for transactions per the IRS and something else I'm spacing right now.   They really do not have a choice on this, maybe if they issue their own gift cards, but at this point, I think that ship has personally sailed.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2463 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.