Beachball Ban

caketile

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2948 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I was rightfully banned from a sandbox for manually rezzing too many beach balls and even rezzing a cabin and filling that cabin with beachballs. (If you're wondering why I was doing this, I wasn't aware that beach-ball bombarding was banworthy at the time)

This was my ban message:

You have been permanently banned for the following reason:

RESOURCE ABUSE involving one or more of the following:
- Prim littering
- Excessive physics use
- Crasher/lagger/spammer use
- Excessive Avatar Render Weight or Streaming Cost
- Excessive sized objects, rezzed or attached
- Excessive object visual param changing/usage (lighting,glow,etc.)
- Excessive script count/memory/timing object(s) or attachment(s)
- Excessive ground surface area use
- Object encroachment
- Object abandonment

Just wondering under which condition does beachball-bombardment fall under?

caketile wrote:

???

It's that I don't want to repeat the action and get banned from another sandbox. I enjoy playing around with the beach-balls but I don't want to get banned.

Oh, I share that joy. I once coaxed a bunch of my friends into a photo booth and then rained a thousand boxes of popcorn on 'em. I shoveled tons of snowballs onto unsuspecting friends, and dropped potted plants on Lillie Woodells during one of her performances.

Some people (most people) just don't appreciate us, Caketile. So, I'd advise against loosing beach-balls in the inhabited areas of public sandboxes. Rezzing large numbers of virtually anything is likely to raise suspicions, as that looks just like griefer activity. If you must play, fly up high and rez a huge sphere, then hollow it out. You can work your way inside and rezz some balls there. The hollow sphere will contain them so they don't bother other people. You can walk around in them, just like being in a McDonald's ball pit.

Years ago, I tipped the staff at my local McDonalds $20 to let me dive into the ball pool near closing time. It's fun!

;-).

if you abuse resoursces and with that, annoy, and prevent others to use the sandbox where it's meant for, you will get banned at lots and lots more.... if you really want to do what you do, get your own land.

Most sandboxes are to offer a platform to build and unpack boxes for the ones who don't have land. Not for filling it up with beachballs it will, by most, seen as griefing.

If you dowload an OpenSim standalone region, which is free and exactly like SL, you can play with as many beachballs as you like without having any other people to worry about.  You'd have to make the beachballs yourself but they are one of the easiest things to make in SL or OpenSim! :matte-motes-big-grin-wink:

It was likely to be 'excessive physics use'. Lots of beachballs = lots of collisions = lots of physics resources. If you were leaving them all over the parcel, it could have been 'prim littering'. I suppose a case could be made for one or two of the other conditions, but those are my best guesses.

KarenMichelle Lane wrote:

Beach Balls are NOT Banned!

Your behaviour is BANNED.

Beach Balls are totally innocent objects of fun.

In the wrong hands however......

Yep, like in the hands of a Liverpool supporter who threw one onto the pitch and cost his team a goal when the goalkeeper automatically started to save the beachball instead of the football :-

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

... beans you with a beach ball.

Team Baywatch Mouth to Mouth technique applied to resuscitate our beaned gal...

as the authorities examine the unusually heavy beach ball.

caketile wrote:

I did say in the first post I was
rightfully
banned. It was after the fact that I realised rezzing over 70 beachballs perhaps wasn't a good idea.

If you already realized it's a bad idea, presumably you learned why it's a bad idea -- that is, why you were "rightfully banned"

... leaving scant wonder "under which condition does beachball-bombardment fall under"

... and rendering this thread:

Nah, I actually didn't know why it was ban-worthy, only that rezzing 70+ beachballs was an odd action (the oddness making it probably not a good idea), but I never knew why such an odd action would get me banned until someone else in the thread suggested it probably fell under over-use of physics. I really am trying to learn and not trying to waste everyone's time!

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

... beans you with a beach ball.

Team Baywatch Mouth to Mouth technique applied to resuscitate our beaned gal...

as the authorities examine the unusually heavy beach ball.

All's well that ends well.

You're welcome!

Vulpinus wrote:

Rhonda Huntress wrote:

George Cloony's finest work was the sequel.

... you got me on that one. Unless you're referring to a rather fruity return, in which case, no bonus points yet.

Since I'm unaware of a sequel of Dark Star, perhaps Rhonda was making a reference to Steven Soderbergh's remake of director Andrei Tarkovsky's excellent 1972 film treatment of Solaris based on the novel by Stanislaw Lem.

Solaris (1972) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069293/

Solaris (2002) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0307479/

..just guessing since I actually enjoyed both and we were looking at an alien with ugly feet.

Note: There was no intergalactic alien beach ball in either of these.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2948 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.