Beachball Ban

caketile

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2972 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

KarenMichelle Lane wrote:

Vulpinus wrote:

Rhonda Huntress wrote:

George Cloony's finest work was the sequel.

... you got me on that one. Unless you're referring to a rather fruity return, in which case, no bonus points yet.

<film stuff>

I think she mistook it (deliberately or otherwise) for a Killer Tomato.

Vulpinus wrote:

Well, now you know. 70+ physical objects all colliding with each other like that can bring a sim to its knees easily. Hence you probably being thought of as a griefer.

Lets not overdo it. 70+ physical objects won't bring a sim to it's knees, not unless it's already stumbling heavily.

I have rezzed far more than 70 (around 1500)  physical balls on a sim, while monitoring the simulators physics use. It didn't bring the sim to it's knees, but it did stumble for a few seconds, until most balls started to settle. I have done physical chains made of toruses, to see how long they would hold up before physics+ lag shook them apart.

One should not however hog that much resources on a sim meant for sharing, and without a reason. Also rezzing a lot of physical objects at once without an explanation, looks like griefing.

Back when I had a 1/4 homestead island, I was able to rezz many hundreds of temp coconuts without bogging down the simulator. As you experienced, there was a spike during the initial dump, but that quickly dissipated as the coconuts dispersed and came to rest. During a friend's performance on a crowded sim, I dropped maybe 100 one prim (sculptie) potted plants without noticing a degradation in performance.

I don't do these things often, and I ask before, but for one-off events the simulators seem to handle a lot.

I've never tried the torus-chain. That sounds neat!

caketile wrote:

So I was rightfully banned from a sandbox for manually rezzing too many beach balls and even rezzing a cabin and filling that cabin with beachballs. (If you're wondering why I was doing this, I wasn't aware that beach-ball bombarding was banworthy at the time)

Just wondering under which condition does beachball-bombardment fall under?

Ah, I see you too are a fan of rezzing one too many beach balls.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2972 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.