Names pronunciation

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3253 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was sitting in my chair, reading these forums, with coffee and a scone to keep me company. It occurred to me that sometimes I stop at a post or a comment and study the author's name. I don't always know how to pronounce a name when I first encounter it. And my mind may skim over it, coming up with a quick jumble of phonemes to use as a placeholder, just like when I read a sci-fi or fantasy novel written by someone who loves making up new names.

As for real world names, not having a lot of experience with names in different cultures, I have to really think about a name that stumps me, and indulge in some research. Gaelic names, in particular, aren't very intuitive for me. Those of the Asian languages are particularly challenging for me because, while I might be able to come up with a reasonable facsimile of a pronunciation, I know it would probably come across as a travesty of enunciation and accent.

Then there are names that are either accidentally, or intentionally, created to be a joke or pun. For instance, a name spelled to look really weird, but, upon re-reading, is actually pronounced like something familiar.

My own name was chosen on a whim, strongly influenced by my interest in the Russian language. It is, I believe, fairly straightforward to pronounce.

My companion, the scone, is gone, the plate cleaned of chocolate smears. The coffee remains.

I don't even bother to try to pronounce some of them. There was a person I knew that her name was her RL first name in bianary code; so a string of 0 and 1. SOme people get clever too. I miss the actual real last names. No more punny names, like SinFuldelight Fiul, Pepperment/Peppermint Twist, Variably Silent, Widget Engineer, Sweet Permisohn, etc. No more clever puns...sighs.

I'm a bit the same when it comes to pronouncing others' names. When I used to DJ, or whenever I have to actually speak to others, I'll ask them if I fear I'll pronounce it wrong, though.

Most people get my name wrong unless A-they've heard someone else say it, or B-I've told them how it is pronounced.

Most call me what amounts to Terry, which is not correct, lol. I've gotten used to it over the years, though.

Ivanova Shostakovich wrote:

This made me laugh. "
....A-they've heard someone else say it
...." To me it strongly implies using voice, because otherwise... umm..

As a Voice Personality DJ i always try to pronounce the display names phonetically, culturally and Unicodely correct exactly as account holders had envisioned....

In other words I mumble it loud while eating my mic.

The results are frequently hilarious. I've only butchered and insulted 50% of the VIPs with weird display names using this method yet I maintain my listenership.....

I've long since figured out how to copy the impossible to say Display Names and just blurt them out with an appropriate text Welcome to ????????? and a smile.

This made me laugh. "

Haha, yes, either via voice, or from a DJ/performer who is talking on air over a mic. 

How would you pronounce the name of someone called Ghoti?

[Hint: it was the lead singer of Marillion's nickname]

In fact, how would you pronounce the name of your erstwhile companion you mention in your OP?

Who disappeared.

[Hint: It's gone.]

KarenMichelle Lane wrote:

This made me laugh. "

As a Voice Personality DJ i always try to pronounce the display names phonetically, culturally and Unicodely correct exactly as account holders had envisioned....

The results are frequently hilarious. I've only butchered and insulted 50% of the VIPs with weird display names using this method yet I maintain my listenership.....

I've long since figured out how to copy the impossible to say Display Names and just blurt them out with an appropriate text Welcome to ????????? and a smile.

A what?

Derek Torvalar wrote:

KarenMichelle Lane wrote:

This made me laugh. "

A what?

Exactly!

Ivanova, When I'm bored I like to go to crowded places and look at all the crazy names, and perv profiles. I happen to have one of those vexing Gaelic names, and I'm often asked how to pronounce it. The "official" pronunciation is 

, but I prefer the A be pronounced like the a in "ate" (Just to confuse people even more) :matte-motes-big-grin-wink: As for the even MORE difficult to reckon Ceawlin, it's pronounced See awl in ....

I love names and reading car number plates in rl. Some people are very clever in the creation of their sl names. 

Lucky though, I dont have to pronounce them out loud. The eyes recognise and read them fast. Sounding them out takes much longer and sometimes I dont bother  :)

Though, I feel so sorry sometimes when a hostess or DJ have to greet some people with long awkward names. 

My own name gets mispronounced and I answer to both Cherry and Cheri and sometimes Cher   :)

CheriColette wrote: I feel so sorry sometimes when a hostess or DJ have to greet some people with long awkward names. 

But it's so much fun to wear a displayname like Mike Hunt and wait for the hostess to greet you.

Teri

((Like that guy who used to post in the forums, called Rudolph Hucker.))

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3253 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.