How much L$ does your avatar cost ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3325 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Priceless!

Some of the parts of my avatar (such as my left eye, tattoos, super-awesome cyborg bodykit system) were built by and for myself, sometimes they contain hundreds of hours worth of script development. No, really. :D

Some of the other parts of my avatar (my alpha layers, right eye, my shape, collar, other gimmickery) were built by close friends and could not easily be replaced. While some had initial costs (shapes and OC are free) they're worth more given the amount of work put into getting them modded by friends.

At least one part (my skin) was painted to be entirely unique, and since the artist is now long-gone this would be impossible - I don't feel that modern skin painters can compete. It originally cost tens-of-thousands of L$. My hair has been modified so many times (to fit hats, to move small parts) I've lost count - it was cheap, though, at ~L$400.

I can't possibly calculate the cost of my AO - it's been built from single animations over years (and the scripts modded beyond recognition). I wouldn't even know half the stores I bought from, let alone if they're dead or alive.

My feet are mesh and from Slink, I'd guess probably L$700 or so? They're probably the only "popular" thing I wear. Even my intimate parts were hacked together. >.>

I'm sure even some of the clothes I wear are from dead-stores. The rest probably doesn't amount to more than L$800.

I couldn't find links on Marketplace - I don't tend to shop there

I don't suppose it much matters.

To me, my avatar is worth a great deal. Not a great deal of money, but a great deal of time, effort, and care, which I put in to create something that feels right to me. While I change small features, from time to time, it's been quite a while since I did a big edit to create something significantly different, because I don't feel the need. (Although I have just started using my Maitreya body, which is interesting.)

If I have time later, maybe I'll add it all up and see. Who knows?

Current Avatar (body only):

Slink Physique                         L$1250

Slink Hands                               L$450

Slink Feet Mid                            L$675

Slink Feet Flat                            L$675

Mandala Ears                             L$297

DeeTaLeZ skins and appliers  L$3000

Real Eyes                                   L$100

Vista AO Essence                    L$1900

---------------------------------------------------

total                                          L$8347

Parts of it are no longer available, and therefore irreplaceable. Parts were quite expensive for individual items, but I considered them worth it for the effect they give. Parts were very cheap, or even free. My base avatar, the one I've been coming back to for the past year or so, wasn't actually very expensive. 

At a rough estimate, about L$1800. That doesn't include an AO (probably another L$500 there), nor any clothes, shoes, or accessories.

Also not included: the other hundred or so hairstyles, couple of dozen skins, stack of make-up, eyes for all manner of human, alien and anthro- races, random avatars bought for theme nights, rarely-used furry and animal avs, AO animations bought and then discarded and all many of other avatar dead-ends I've explored in my SL.

I will not sum it up... It is impossible to find out since I started in 2007. I was more modest the first years, and for the longest time my alts had free stuff only. But now I just stopped counting and see it as no different than buying a coffe in RL. I don't need to spend the money, but I want to and can. My three females are all mesh, two of my males, the third one has only hands and feet. Two of the avatars has one mesh body, the others several.

But just Marianne? TMP body, TMP head, 3 Slink feet, 2 packs Slink hands, Slink body, Belleza body, Maitreya body, LeLutka head, Avatar 2 body and head, some old mesh parts like Lolas and Phat Azz, old system clothing, new clothing and so on.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

I'm sure you're just modest and all, but that description really does deserve an image.

Ahaha I realised it might be a bit much. This is the risk of being first to reply! But I didn't want to be the only one posting pics.

SHY.

I'll see if I can send you over something a little more privately. :)

That depends on what outfit I'm wearing...

But if I go 'sans outfit'...

Body: about 4000

Skin: about 2000

Hands: about 2000

Feet: about 2000

Hair: Usually about 300

Eyes: maybe 300

Ears: about 1000 (they were from a furry, and I modded a copy for my neko look)

Whiskers / Fangs: maybe 100 - bought in 2009 so don't remember.

Tail: about 400

AO: about 700

Animations for AO: maybe 10000-20000, because I have a lot of dances in there.

My skin is a conglomerate of textures I found on the web, with some airbrushing and detail painting of my own. I have moles on my back in the configuration of the Orion constellation, the Big Dipper on my tummy and the Pleiades over my left breast. I also have a 3D mole in the Anne Francis position, which is a very small rotating globe of the Earth at night. When I say I can lick the world, I mean it.

I wear simple homemade hoop earings, one silver, one black (Snugs has one black, one silver). I wear a Dura unisex hairstyle (I'm strawberry blonde, Snugs' hair is as black as her heart), which I liked so much when I first tried it in SL that I cut my hair in RL to match. Since then my RL hair has gone even shorter, primarily because I'm lazy. The hair cost L$120.

I obtained much of my wardrobe at a store that was going out of business, at an average cost of L$25 per outfit. I wear Kittie's Lair sandals (L$289) and a pair of PrimOptics glasses (L$299) that allow me to believe I can peer into the souls of others. That's not as good as X-Ray vision (which more or less vanished with Server Side Appearance), but it'll do.

I wear a Vista AO, which probably cost more than everything else I wear each day, L$1900.

So, the total cost of any day's look is probably less than L$2700. In seven years here, almost all of my expenditures have been to rent homes I rarely visit.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3325 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.