Terry Pratchett died today

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1784 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yes, he inspired me and influenced me a lot, and gave me laughs during some very hard times and sad days.

I just went to check out the very detailed build, Ankh Morepork twinned with Pijame today. It was nice to see an SL build dedicated to Terry's Discworld on SL still.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Time%20and%20Space/116/108/301

I could not do anything there because I am too sad today. I'll go back tomorrow and explore it in detail.

*sigh*

Anyway. Rough day for us all.

Markham Weatherwax wrote:

One of my favoreite author's. Terry Pratchett, passed away today at age 66. He wrote more than 70 books and I've read every single one. His death is such a sad loss to the world. I am sure a lot of SLers loved his books too.

He will be missed.

:(

good nite Terry ~ RIP old friend ~~ ~ ~ ~ ~~

Pratchett was the English equivalent of Piers Anthony in his later, churn-them-out, period (although Anthony was originally English but migrated) and his Discworld series must have been heavily influenced by Anthony's Xanth books, so if you have read the latter, you would probably enjoy the former.

The principal difference between the two was that Anthony's puns were better; or worse, depending on how you looked at it.

I hope Pratchett will be remembered as the man who refused to allow Alzheimer's to beat him, and whose legacy is likely to help others beat it.

I loved 'discovering' Terry Pratchett. I just happened to see one of his titles that intrigued me at the library (I don't remember which but it was one of the early ones about the Night Watch) and took it home. In the years since, I've read everything that showed up in the library as well as a few I've found in bookstores. I've never done a web search or anything to see everything he wrote, so there's a chance there is at least one work out there I haven't read yet. That at least gives me something to hope for.

He was a wonderful writer. We readers fell in love with his characters, laughing the whole time.

Even Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler needs a hug tonight.

• 4 years later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1784 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.