'Perhaps the magic would last....

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3331 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

...., perhaps it wouldn't. But then again, what does?”  ~Terry Pratchett - Guards! Guards!

I got introduced to Discworld by my friend Ratt and became a fan. Today Sir Terry Pratchett left our world, a wonderful author of fantasy, his books inspired me to do fantasy pictures in SL (although they do not depict any of his works). A loss yes, but there will always be his stories !

Do you have an author, artist, singer, movie or whatever that inspired you to do something with it in Second Life?

Pratchett.png

I mourn the passing of Terry Pratchett also.

Interesting subject. I would guess a great many people have done things in SL that were inspired by their readings elsewhere, even if it was nothing more than wearing an avatar/outfit that was designed with a fictional character in mind. I like the way Second Life lets us do things like that.

In a way quite a bit less creative than yours (as evidenced by that picture) I have done things in SL inspired by, in my case, mostly books. I once did, or started, a sort of photo-story thread on the Forum and drew most of my own contributions  from all the espionage fiction I'd devoured when I was younger. I think I managed to drag ideas or scenarios from every single author I'd ever read in there. I even used some television material, giving my character an attitude like this guy's: Straight ahead, all the time.

KAR 120C.jpg

Edited because I forgot to include the picture.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

I mourn the passing of Terry Pratchett also.

Interesting subject. I would guess a great many people have done things in SL that were inspired by their readings elsewhere, even if it was nothing more than wearing an avatar/outfit that was designed with a fictional character in mind. I like the way Second Life lets us do things like that.

In a way quite a bit less creative than yours (as evidenced by that picture) I have done things in SL inspired by, in my case, mostly books. I once did, or started, a sort of photo-story thread on the Forum and drew most of my own contributions  from all the espionage fiction I'd devoured when I was younger. I think I managed to drag ideas or scenarios from every single author I'd ever read in there. I even used some television material, giving my character an attitude like this guy's: Straight ahead, all the time.

Edited because I forgot to include the picture.

I , too, think lots of people get inspired by the things they love, be it books, music or anything -  which makes sense because obviously you enjoy those!

Personally I use a lot of songs and music when I make pictures in SL - except for my landscape images and photo's of art installations I visit - and lately I found I really like the Fantasy-like pics. Yes, because of the books I read but of course also because it is so easy nowadays in SL to get wonderful fantasy clothing and accessoires. For those pics, the fantasy ones, I also learned myself some postprocessing - also something I never did, it makes no sense to post-process or Photoshop a landscape for a showcase, it would not be fair - and found I love to play with those softwares as well. Half the fun of a pic for me is the post-processing which happens outside of SL :).

I often get inspired by youtube-clips and find it a fun pasttime to try to recreate the looks of artists or depict the feeling of a song or a quote, not always a success but that's fine!

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

I often get inspired by youtube-clips and find it a fun pasttime to try to recreate the looks of artists or depict the feeling of a song or a quote, not always a success but that's fine!

That sounds like an idea for a continuing thread, along the lines of "Challenge Caity".

How about this as inspiration?

LlazarusLlong wrote:

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

That sounds like an idea for a continuing thread, along the lines of "Challenge Caity".

How about this as inspiration?

Consider it a challenge accepted and I will give you the link, or post a pic in here, when I've done it!

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Consider it a challenge accepted and I will give you the link, or post a pic in here, when I've done it!

Excellent! I shall be extremely interested to see what your focus will be; there are so many emotionally evocative elements of the song and video that I would find it difficult to predict what might affect your muse.

LlazarusLlong wrote:

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Excellent! I shall be extremely interested to see what your focus will be; there are so many emotionally evocative elements of the song and video that I would find it difficult to predict what might affect your muse.

Well, thanks to my ever patient Male Alt (aka: Malt), here you go: https://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/A-song-in-a-picture/td-p/2913807

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

LlazarusLlong wrote:

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Well, thanks to my ever patient Male Alt (aka: Malt), here you go:

Good thing you missed the gas pumps and hit him instead.

Derek Torvalar wrote:

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

LlazarusLlong wrote:

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Well, thanks to my ever patient Male Alt (aka: Malt), here you go:

Good thing you missed the gas pumps and hit him instead.

Be glad I used my alt and did not run YOU over with my car for a pic....

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3331 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.