Freedom of Mainland Waterways

Wilde Guisse

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1495 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Mainland waterways have at their core protected land. This enables them to be sailed. But it is difficult to judge where to sail as the rivers are irregular. Sometimes private land stretches out to the middle sometimes  almost at the shore.

Everyone has a right to ban other residents but when bad lines extend way out into rivers then disaster. Like a fly in a spider web and no fun.

Could the powers that be come up with a solution please.

My suggestions in no order of anything other than ideas

1]  water on protected land is a different [darker] blue

2]  water on protected land has some sort of swift current effect running 

3] very edge of private land that's adjacent or under a river has to be at the same height at the river or slightly higher

4] Residents who choose to buy river edged land  required to put a buoy system in place to mark edge of the r property.

Hopefully someone has got a really simple answer to this problem. 

Basically though why bother with rivers if we can't use them 

It's frustrating.

Standard ban-lines are visible at close range, if you're in the same region. I've also seen them on abandoned water-only land parcels--at least the LDPW does a got job of sorting that out.

Security orbs with a hair-trigger timing are hellish in a vehicle, and I get the impression that Viewer 2 makes the warning less obvious, but that could be down to my general struggle with finding a usable colour scheme.

Another possible aid: make parcel boundaries visible at water level. Though that won't always help for the similar awkwardness with roads, where the road surface level is not simply defined. It might be something a TPV could add.

I think some of the problems can be partly blamed on ancient history and badly-arranged land parcel boundaries. There's that sea-crossing past ANPR, but getting a boat past Purple is very tricky, especially sailing. Worse, there's no route for watercraft out of the Bay City area.

• 9 years later...
On 3/5/2011 at 6:35 AM, Wilde Guisse said:

1]  water on protected land is a different [darker] blue

2]  water on protected land has some sort of swift current effect running

No and no! Do you really want a virtual world with water criss-crossed by sharp edges separating patches of water with different colors?

On 3/5/2011 at 6:35 AM, Wilde Guisse said:

4] Residents who choose to buy river edged land  required to put a buoy system in place to mark edge of the r property

That's better! I can't imagine LL will ever enforce any such ruoles on mainland of course but for those landowners who want to keep others off their private land water without being jerks, Rubber Bunny sells a complete set of cardinal markers and other standard marker buoys for only 99 L$. Not only do they work as warning to travellers they look seriously cool too!

On 3/4/2011 at 11:35 PM, Wilde Guisse said:

Basically though why bother with rivers if we can't use them 

A few of those "rivers" that people DEMAND be sailable were established on private land by the owners.  I recently filled mine in completely because of rude, obnoxious demands that I condition it for larger vehicles.  Hopefully that's a rare situation.  I can't say I had more than TWO people make such demands.  Neither were close neighbors.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Surprisingly (or maybe not), OP hasn't made a single post since opening this thread.

Apparently, they weren't too super concerned about this issue.

The funny thing is, it’s still an issue!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beth Macbain said:

Sweet! Responding to a comment from over 9 years ago! If OP responds, that would be awesome!

Woops!

I didn't look at the date before I replied but it was right on top of the list of threads in the forum and marked as unread in my browser. How on earth did that happen???

Edited by ChinRey
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ChinRey said:

Woops!

I responded to it because it was on top of the list and marked as unread. How did that happen???

I don't know but it made me giggle and in the middle of a pandemic, I can use all the giggles I can get, so thank you! 🙂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Woops!

I didn't look at the date before I replied but it was right on top of the list of threads in the forum and marked as unread in my browser. How on earth did that happen???

There was a post above yours which was removed after your reply. I assume that poster's account is now in the bit bucket.

• Like 2

@ChinRey, dunno.  Maybe it got posted to by a spammer then the spam got scraped off.  I fell into the trap too!

Thanks anyway!  Now I have a cool set of navigational buoys.

Edited by Ardy Lay
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Parhelion Palou said:
7 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Woops!

There was a post above yours which was removed after your reply. I assume that poster's account is now in the bit bucket.

Ahhh, this must have been one of the threads that jerk made his post to.  LL really needs to full mac-address ban that one.

• Like 1

Just now, Parhelion Palou said:

Ah, that explains it. Thank you! ^_^

Anyway, as Janet said, it is still an issue so there's no harm in reviving the the thread.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Beth Macbain said:

Why got hit by a spammer again last night? 

How do people find that entertaining? Are they 12 year old boys?

This one made the same post in roughly half dozen threads --- and the post gave a bunch of RL info about someone.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

This one made the same post in roughly half dozen threads --- and the post gave a bunch of RL info about someone.

but interestingly had the same title thread names as the one the previous day in the 2 or 3 OPs they made before they started replying randomly.  They did get nuked very quickly today though 👏

• Like 2

As others have mentioned, there were several old, old posts brought to life by the spammer. Many of them only a page or so long. You know what? As an oldbie I found it grand to reread some of them. There are lots of names and faces I have seen or thought about for years. Then there are the ones that are still here, and that made me grin, too. The spammer is, as they used to say pre-politically correct dats, a poster-child for abortion, but some of the fallout, like these short, old threads, is kinda nice in small doses.

@Beth Macbain, aw, I understand completely why you'd be paranoid about being doxxed. When I was being trolled here, there, everywhere (possibly still am, I just don't see it), I worried about that too, because there WAS a direct line from someone I shouldn't have trusted with my info to the trolls. It never happened. I doubt very seriously that you have divulged anything that would get back to your idiots.

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1495 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.