Do any of you..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3973 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been thinking about this for quite a while now.

Do any of you have / rent a home inworld nearby your SL workplace, and go to your workplace using your vehicle, park it there until you finished working, then go back home using the same vehicle and park it there without having to re-rez it?

Just curious.

I've never done that and my navigation abilities with vehicles is nil.  However, years ago I was looking at some product in a store on one of the sims that are referred to as "Nova Albion" or sometimes "Old World sims."  They are sims that were created as city/neighborhood sims, including roads with stop signs, sidewalks, shopping and living areas, etc.  Iirc they are also double prim sims. 

At any rate, I was checking something out on one of these type of sims and met the store owner.  I asked if he also lived on the sim because I was intrigued with the concept. Plus the fact that anytime I've seen any parcels for sale in these sims, they are verrrrrrrryyyyyy expensive.  The store owner said he did live nearby and would I like to see his home?  He indicated his motorcycle parked near his store, told me to hop on and drove the short distance to his home.  I thought that was fascinating.

My guess is the majority of SL residents teleport from place to place.

lucagrabacr wrote:

I've been thinking about this for quite a while now.

Do any of you have / rent a home inworld nearby your SL workplace, and go to your workplace using your vehicle, park it there until you finished working, then go back home using the same vehicle and park it there without having to re-rez it?

Just curious.

For much of my RL career, I worked from home. My commute was two flights of stars in my pajamas. I have done the same thing in SL, climbing to the top of my lighthouse in my jammies to start my busy day of pushing people over the railing. But I don't do this often, I'm limited by the supply of the naive.

It is an interesting question, Luca (may I call you Luca?). I wonder if your scenario would be an extreme case of a preference that has many (some?) avatars walking instead of flying.

I go for the surrealism of SL, not the realism.

Years ago a guy I was dating used to DJ at a club, we had land on the same sim and used to walk over to it when he was working and walk home again after, chatting about the gig or just our day, just like real life. Our friends thought we were mad when we could just TP home in seconds but it all added to the immersion and it was fun!

sparkles Britton wrote:

Years ago a guy I was dating used to DJ at a club, we had land on the same sim and used to walk over to it when he was working and walk home again after, chatting about the gig or just our day, just like real life. Our friends thought we were mad when we could just TP home in seconds but it all added to the immersion and it was fun!

Long ago I lived on an adorable sim kitty-corner from the sim containing Bogart's. My partner logged-in one evening and I told her to get dressed to go dancing. While she was changing, I rezzed an Arcadia Asylum Metro Bus on the little street in front of my cottage. The two of us, in our ball gowns, then took the bus down the street, through the campground in the neighboring sim, down a back alley and finally onto the road in front of Bogart's. Of course we could have teleported, but the joy of driving a city bus in a ballgown, with my sweetie sitting way in the back, was just to good to miss.

The poor fella I ran over on the way seemed to enjoy his experience as much as we did ours. You gotta love the win/win of life in SL.

;-)

Work?  No, I don't do that in SL.  But, my home's about half a dozen sims or so north of The Shelter.  When they have games there, I've been known to fly (and to a lesser extent drive) there instead of just TPing.  When I was able to contribute spare tier, I could leave the vehicle there but today I have to re-rez and fly/drive home.

sparkles Britton wrote:

That's awesome!!

Oh wow, I'm a bit surprised with the amount of feedback.

@Madelaine: Sure! And well, I won't call it my preference even though I mostly walk and use land vehicles to enjoy the sims available, but I do fly from time to time.

I enjoy sim-crossing in the mainland and would probably do it more with a car or a plane, if not because of some reason that makes sim-crossing hell at times. :P

@Czarl: I have that problem too when using fast cars, try slower ones or the ones that came with gear / speed control :)

@Others: It's pretty nice to hear your experiences regarding the subject, those are some interesting stories you guys got there :D

Yes.

I live above the bar I own so every day I just go down the stairs.

But I also have another job working as a secretary at city hall.

I once drove my car from home to city hall, but as a result, 23 neighbours ended up in hospital.

So now I take my bike or motorcycle.

Sometimes I walk, sometimes I take a tram.

Sometimes I teleport.

To reduce risk to yourself and other innocents, you should always park your car at least a mile (1.5km) away from where you live and walk the rest of the way to your abode, even if you have lots of heavy shopping to carry.

Awe  . . . This is because 90% of car accidents occur within a mile (1.5km) of where someone lives.

I'm an avid vehicle user, not because I need to go anywhere but because I want. I've crossed and explored most continents with various bikes and some of the smaller landmasses I cirumnavigated (or at least tried to) with sailboats. Some of my Ridin' stories you can find in my blogthingie. It's fun as long as you don't do it too fast and don't run into banlines or full parcels.

Awe Thor wrote:

To reduce risk to yourself and other innocents, you should always park your car at least a mile (1.5km) away from where you live and walk the rest of the way to your abode, even if you have lots of heavy shopping to carry.

Awe  . . . This is because 90% of car accidents occur within a mile (1.5km) of where someone lives.

But, 90% of all accidents happen in the home so it's probably safest to stay at work where your employer will have insurance and health and safety regulations to protect you.

Sy Beck wrote:

Awe Thor wrote:

But, 90% of all accidents happen in the home so it's probably safest to stay at work where your employer will have insurance and health and safety regulations to protect you.

But NEVER sleep or do anything else in a bed, in your home or in motels, hotels or anyone else's house.

Awe . . . since two out of three deaths occur in bed.

i think that is awesome where can i go to do that ,,can you please let me know i would love to expierence that.

Destiny, I gather from your post that you're a farly new user. so answering your question would fill books since we don't know your knowledge level.

Where you can do "that" is basically everywhere where rezzing is permitted. You rezz a bike, a boat, a plane, a heli, a bicycle or whatever you want, jump on and off you go. For land based transport I'd suggest any of the many Linden Routes. They have rez areas at the end points and mostly at intersections as well. You'll find Linden Routes at all mainland continents. That's what I would suggest anyway, staying at the continents, not using private estates in the beginning. If you wanna rez a boat your best start would be Linden owned open ocean like the Blake Sea for example. There you may rezz in all NE sim corners. For flying there are many airports in SL, which you may use if you can't find an open rez sport.

Now to avoid your head from spinning, open the worldmap in your viewer and zoom far out. Then you'll see where the main continents are, compared to the private islands and estates.

Awe Thor wrote:

Sy Beck wrote:

Awe Thor wrote:

But NEVER sleep or do anything else in a bed, in your home or in motels, hotels or anyone else's house.

Awe . . . since two out of three deaths occur in bed.

Who would of thought that all those people who sleep in their camper vans when visiting friends were such living on the edge thrill seekers.

Destiny, Orca answered your question perfectly! :) I will add though, it was a long time ago, 5 years maybe, and I was still fairly new, I couldn't even tell you if it was mainland or a homestead sim, but thinking back and looking at some pictures it was probably a homestead, so its more than possible to make your own place to stroll around in!  Mainland is so much fun though. I have a motorbike that I love to rez and explore. Sometime you pick up some odd (!!??) passengers but as Madelaine said "You gotta love the win/win of life in SL." 

I am loving this thread. Until this popped up I had honestly forgotten about our nightly strolls home. It bought back some lovely memories and its great to see everyone else's stories/experiences. It's made me want to log in today, get the bike out and see who/what I can find. Thanks Luca! :)

jwenting wrote:

might have, but there was nothing available at the time nearby so ended up with a house elsewhere.

Do tend to walk out of sight of other avatars before poofing though, if that counts.

Friend of mine does that, too. She'll say goodnight to everyone then walk off the dance floor and out of the club. Just as several people have suggested about driving/walking between places, it adds to the immersion.

Even better, we often get a shouted "MUAH!" just before she actually does poof.:smileyhappy:

I have an idea. LL should turn off no-vehicle avatar flight and turn off teleportation. Make it so that everyone has to walk, run, bike, drive, take a plane, mass transit, whatever. Location would really matter. Hubs would truly be hubs. The journey would once again be part of the fun. As it is, there is no travel... travel and transportation aren't necessary.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3973 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.