I hate mesh!

Caemlyn Witherspoon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2969 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What happened to imagination?

I will prolly get tarred and feathered and run out of town on a rail but I HATE MESH! I DO realize it is still in the beginning stages and has come a long way just in the short time it has been out.

Mesh beats all the others hands down as far as looks, but wearability - it has a LONG ways to go.

Mesh hair looks like globs of modelling clay layng on your head. The texture is great, but it looks horrible. It reminds me of the hair before flexi hair came out. It just lays there. Is this really a step forward or back?

And as for female clothing....what a nightmare!
I don't want to look like every other woman in SL. I want to look like me.
I can't have big boobs IRL, so I have them in SL! (I could but hubby refuses to remortgage the house for a boob job.)
I don't want to look exactly like the clothing makers. I want to look like me.
I have even bought things that the maker sent along a copy of their shape so I could look exactly like them! O M G!I want to look like me
Of all the mesh I have recently purchased 75% will not work.

Physics are great...your boobs jiggle, your but wiggles, but physics with mesh? Forget it. Impossible unless you want your parts jiggling out of your clothes with every step.

Kudos to all the wonderful clothing makers slaving over keeping up with all the latest fads and fashions, but for me, sorry but rarely does anything mesh work.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well at least you gave it a go, Mesh clothing isn't for everyone, some products seem more portable than others, I've seen some raving about liquid mesh and others saying it's not all that.

Fortunately there's plenty of choice but you might be able to create a new outfit with an adjusted avatar and take it from there, that way you still get to be you most of the time.

Don`t use mesh?
Don`t buy the products and test the demo?
Don`t have your boobs hanging on the ground?
Don`t use a physics layer, or atleast use the alpha layer?

Only a few mesh items i wear while looking alot for new stuff, 2 hair and 3 mesh outfits, all i have from what the grid has to offer right now
Designer items... stupid full perm templates they just resell with a new texture....

Dear baby boomer..

If it is the political back drop in RL .

Or a new way to design  in SL , you people just have to argue and cry out to every one your anger in having to deal with change...

Sorry the world can not be the 1980s forever or the things on the net are fast paced and change all the time.

The fact is you have to roll with the punches and embrace change and make the best out of what the masses want..

Many of us have wanted mesh in SL for a loooong time.

It is not all about you and what you want...

Did I have to say that?  Nope...

Do you have to buy mesh products?

Hell no there still tons and tons and tons of non mesh products...

Seeing how you wanted to rant and rave over a choice you choose to make .

Buy things with demos in the future so you do not have to come here and cry..and listen to me be a realistic A hole to you...

Ps. Mesh is very creative and takes a lot more imagination then a PSD kit some one bought and hawked off as their own build.......

Theg0t..

It's not for everyone, and it's not for every application. There has been a temptation for content creators to use mesh for everything, regardless of how good an idea it is. I've made a few adaptations to my avatar to get the best out of mesh for my purposes. For a while, I despaired of ever being able to use it. I didn't see why I should alter my avatar to suit anyone else, and I didn't want to be another fashion clone. 

This was especially upsetting because one of my favourite stores had almost stopped making new outfits with traditional prims in favour of mesh content. I eventually tried doing something about it and creating a shape that would let me wear mesh. With a bit of work, I found that I could make a shape that looked like the old me but also worked with a great deal of mesh. The trick is, you can still create very individual looks while using mesh.

In the end, it's as much of a makeshift solution as so much else in SL. Rigged mesh hair can make for great long styles, but they do sometimes look too solid. I'm surprised I haven't seen mesh hair with a few flexi whisps thrown in to give it some movement (like some sculpted styles had). 

One thing where mesh is really amazing are skirts and short dresses. Finally no ugly prim between the legs (which never fits....) and no trouble with skirts moving wrong with the body. I got an execellent short skirt made with mesh and saw a dress that uses mesh instead of a prim.

1) System skirts (actually system pants layers) with mesh inserts instead of prim. It's like MAGIC, I tell you. They fit any body size and shape, don't interfere with physics, and move beautifully with the body.

2) Try unrigged mesh breasts. They allow for larger sizes without going blocky like the system avi breasts do once you get past about 65, there are a lot of clothing creators adding appliers for them (or creating just for them), you don't have to adjust your own shape in order for them to fit, and they look more realistic than the system breasts.

3) Don't like, don't buy. There are lots of people that don't like mesh for just the reasons you've described, and trust me, there are already plenty of "mesh sucks" threads and posts out there. It doesn't work for everyone. No one says you have to like it, or that you have to buy it if you don't. That's why there are demos for mesh.

I like mesh. I don't love it, and not everything looks good in mesh, but I like it. I have lots of good looks in mesh. I have some that are not so good, but I don't look at those and make blanket statements that "mesh is awful" or anything. It has its flaws, and yes, one of the biggest is that mesh doesn't fit all shapes and sizes. Cross your finger and vote on and watch the JIRA (if it's still available) for the mesh deformer. Until then, try before you buy, and stick with prims and sculpties and system layers if that's what suits you best.

Well, it is a pitty, I think horrible is a hair coming trhu your chest when you move, like old prim and flexy used to do.

There are brands that make hibrid hair, mesh and flexy, try B. Point. (Analog dog)

There are some mesh creators that do non standart sizes, like sn@tch, musch and deviousmind.

You can always mix and match system clotehs and mesh, but seems you are stuck in the past, things move on, you don't need to move on, it is a choice get stuck in the past.

I wasn't too keen on mesh when it first came out for a lot of the same reasons that you stated (I especially don't want to have to modify the shape that I've worked so long to perfect).  But, at some point, I decided I needed to at least give the new technology a try (I honestly didn't think I'd get much out of it).

So I started getting demos. Demos and demos and demos and demos and demos... I couldn't keep track of all the mesh demos I got.  To my amazement,  some of them actually fit my shape... and not only that, but once I saw the way they moved on me and the detail that some creators were about to put into mesh, I was hooked.

Just keep looking, try on lots of demos and be very selective... it really is worth it once you find something spectacular.

...Dres

For the most part, I don't like Mesh. Its like sludge, it moves a little but its like I was taken back to the 20's and someone put WAY to much starch in my clothing and my hair got slimed. But like you I tried demo after demo (add demo 50 more times, no on second thought just keep adding). I have come up with a few things that just fit and some I don't even use the alpha with. But OP saying 75% will not work, is more like 90% or more will not work, and the hair, NOT ON MY HEAD.

OP: You just need to find that one or two things that work for you and when you do its like, wow I wish it all could be like this. But its not and I don't see it ever getting to that point.

I hate saverbulbs - in real life. I don't know what it's like for people in other countries, and I guess I ought to be grateful to have electricity at all, but here in the UK, regular light bulbs are not being produced or sold in stores any more. Instead we have these ridiculous bulbs that look like compact fluorescent lights. They flicker when you switch them on, and take ages to warm up.  They are depressing. I hate them. It feels like going back in time rather than being in the 21st century.

In Second Life, I see the merits of having more 'realistic' looking hands and feet, the system ones are really ugly, but then RL feet can be pretty ugly too.

If it wasn't for my wonderful pyjama store lady I wouldn't be wearing mesh at all. She's great with sizes (it helps her avatar is similar in dimensions to my own). I don't want to spent the majority of my inworld time fannying about with my avatar's appearance; I wasn't the sort of kid who enjoyed playing with her dolls. It was rollerskates on and off we go, or let's see how scruffy I can get before sundown. The little bit of spare time I have, I don't want to be tweaking, faffing, fumbling, and getting all OCD about my avatar's appearance.

However, each to their own. Mesh is here to stay.

And some people find Jimmy Carr side-splittingly funny.

Teagan Tobias wrote:

For the most part, I don't like Mesh. Its like sludge, it moves a little but its like I was taken back to the 20's and someone put WAY to much starch in my clothing and my hair got slimed. But like you I tried demo after demo (add demo 50 more times, no on second thought just keep adding). I have come up with a few things that just fit and some I don't even use the alpha with. But OP saying 75% will not work, is more like 90% or more will not work, and the hair, NOT ON MY HEAD.

OP: You just need to find that one or two things that work for you and when you do its like, wow I wish it all could be like this. But its not and I don't see it ever getting to that point.

I completely agree with you about the hair... unless you're just taking a pic with it, it's horrible.

...Dres

Mesh boats!

Mesh cars!

Mesh motorbikes!

Mesh houses!

Gimme, gimme, gimme!!! Super, how much detail and realism can be modeled in so few prims. SUPER, I tell you!

Mesh clothes? Hmmmm ... some are nice, they even look good. But overall what I miss from them, compared to my good old flexiprims, is the softness, the flowyness. Most all mesh clothes I've seen so far are of the everyday wear variety. Dresses, particularly long ones, are much too heavy and always look like potatoe sacks. Rather unsexy and not sensitive at all.

Mesh hair? Bought 2 styles. Wore them both exactly once. Not again, thank you. Heap of clay on my noggin I can live without. And prim hair sticking thru my breast? Hah! Like in RL I wear mostly short cropped hair, so no probs with that neither.

Ok, I have to admit I'm not the greatest shopper, in neither life. My life is too busy and I'm never bored, so I hardly have time and patience for a shopping spree. But ever since mesh came out I shop even less.

I found one really good mesh clothing item that I really adore: a pair of engineer boots. Simply my best boots so far. But that's it.

I agree with you about mesh hair too.  It is horrible.  Like playdoh hair.  It reminds me of hair before flexi's came out too.  It sticks to your body and doens't move at all independently which is nothing like RL hair.  I'd rather have hair that blows in the wind and moves when I dance even if a few strands go through my avatar than hair that looks like its glued down.

As far as mesh clothes, I too won't change my shape to wear it.  However I  have bought some that actually fitsmy body but haven't found much that fits and that I also like.  Maybe some day the deformer will come out, but that is beginning to look like it is still far off.

I do love rigged mesh shoes, boots and bare feet though.  Finally we have good looking feet that move like feet should.

Syo wrote:

don't complain about something that you don't like anyway.

Huh? Please reread your own sentence and find out how little sense it makes.

What is Caemlyn sposed to complain about? Stuff she really loves? No no no. It's in the human nature to complain about stuff we don't like. We do it since 1000s of years. Of course there's always the option for her to just ignore it, don't buy it, don't fall for the hype. And honestly I wouldn't have started a thread just for the purpose to complain about mesh.

But now I see the benefits of this thread. It clearly shows that not everyone is jumping on the bandwaggon, that not everybody is happy with the latest gimmicks. We had similar discussions when voice came out, when age verification was (badly) implemented, when teens were allowed on the main grid, when LL raised tiers on homestead sims and on countless other occasions. It's what makes the forum so lively and busy. I love it.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2969 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.