I hate mesh!

Caemlyn Witherspoon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2917 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Madeline Blackbart wrote:

I assure you OP will say any shop selling mesh hair. It's an overdramtised opnion I assure you.

No worries, I'll say it.  I've tried on a variety of mesh hair from a huge number of different shops, including all the shops mesh hair lovers rave about.  I've seen people wear it in SL too,   Other than some updo styles, it still looks like glued down playdoh to me, without exception.

If you like it fine, wear it: but a lot of other people don't share your opinion.  I still see more flexi hair in SL than mesh hair.  If mesh hair were so great people would be flocking to buy it and you'd see more mesh than flexi.

i've found some designers that i like the mesh hair from..

we are going to have to face facts..

this is SL..we are a  long way from the hair bouncing off our shoulders or stroking our faces as it blows in the breeze..

we have only a few options..

let it flow in or let it lay on..

mesh in no way looks like the old clay looking prim hair..

i think their are beautiful styles in all those catgories we have to choose from..

it just comes down to what we like best..or what we feel just works for us..

we should feel good to have more choices these days to be able to grab or  to turn away from rather than being only limited to one option like before..

there is enough products in sl that we have more than enough options to express ourselves without feeling we look like everyone else..

nobody say's we have to wear everything that comes with one outfit right off the rack..

a belt from this one,,  a hat from that..some jeans from this one..oh this top will go well with these boots from this designer..

and maybe a little home made tattoo we made ourselves..

if feeling we can't be individual enough is the problem..SL gives us the option to go out and learn it ourselves..this way we can truely be free to express..

we should never feel we are trapt behind no options....

tools to make these things are only a browser search away with all the tutorials in the world to help..

so OP you asked ..what happened to imagination?

it's right there behind your eyes.. not in them..:smileywink:

I have issues with a lot of mesh too. I don't hate it, man that's a strong word, but I can't say I like it entirely either.

Not one single standard size actually fits my shape, without me needing to edit myself. Not always a huge issue, sometimes it's something minor, sometimes not. That's why i love demo items, actually that's the only reason I love some demo items, haha. I can test things out before paying. So that's kind of cool.

I have some mesh hair, and I have seen a lot of mesh hair, that does resemble playdough or clay, just like some system or sculpt hair. Just because some creators can make something, and make it very well, doesn't mean everyone can. But, and this is a big one, that doesn't negate the fact that some people are really good at it. Some products do really look fantastic. However the same applies to nearly everything in sl. Some people can, some people can't, yet we all try. Sometimes our stuff sucks. Sometimes it just doesn't meet the quality or standards others have. Sometimes it's not really what they wanted. Sometimes we're stuck in our own ideals we don't listen to what others say when they offer a critique. It happens. That's life.

I very seldomly wear any mesh clothes now. Because it's a pain in my rump to keep changing my appearance to suit the clothes. I'm one of the people that thinks I should'n't have to do that, lol. Whether my opinion is right or wrong for others, it's right for me. So I am very picky about mesh. It does make finding an item that's fabulous all the better though. Knowing they do exist, and there are things that fit my taste and needs, is sometimes enough for me to keep looking.

Other times, I get frustrated and give up my search, lol.

I see nothing wrong with venting about a dislike. Sure you could just not buy it, not look at it, not discuss it. But again the same can be said for a lot of things we see on this forum. We could hush and not verbalize our concerns. In doing that, though, we eliminate at least some, of the potential for having a better product created. That's my long way of saying all of the "so don't buy it" responses kind of read silly, to me. Because you could just as easily have not read the thread, or responded. So if we're free to respond, people ought to be free to express their thoughts and opinions even if they don't mesh with ours. Pun, totally intended.

sorry i worded the mesh hair part wrong by saying mesh does not look like clay prim hair..

i don't know why i said it like that ..it was meant as not all mesh hair looks like this..

i have some styles in mesh that i bought that to me are just amazing compared to a lot of the hair i have..

i have my favorites in about every form there is to have hair in..aswell as clothes..

mesh is not the only answer for me..it's just one of the answers..i'm just glad to have the option added nowadays..because it just means more freedom in what we have to choose from..

i plan to take advantage of that freedom like a blue light special at Macey's..

not that Macey's has blue light specials or anything hehehehe

Caemlyn Witherspoon wrote:

What happened to imagination?

I will prolly get tarred and feathered and run out of town on a rail but I HATE MESH! I DO realize it is still in the beginning stages and has come a long way just in the short time it has been out.

Mesh beats all the others hands down as far as looks, but wearability - it has a LONG ways to go.

Mesh hair looks like globs of modelling clay layng on your head. The texture is great, but it looks horrible. It reminds me of the hair before flexi hair came out. It just lays there. Is this really a step forward or back?

And as for female clothing....what a nightmare!

I don't want to look like every other woman in SL.
I want to look like me.

I can't have big boobs IRL, so I have them in SL! (I could but hubby refuses to remortgage the house for a boob job.)

I don't want to look exactly like the clothing makers.
I want to look like me

I have even bought things that the maker sent along a copy of their shape so I could look exactly like them! O M G!
I want to look like me

Of all the mesh I have recently purchased 75% will not work.

Physics are great...your boobs jiggle, your but wiggles, but physics with mesh? Forget it. Impossible unless you want your parts jiggling out of your clothes with every step.

Kudos to all the wonderful clothing makers slaving over keeping up with all the latest fads and fashions, but for me, sorry but rarely does anything mesh work.

It's not mesh you hate, it's LL's broken implementation and possibly the poor work of some content creators.

First off, there's lots of mesh hair out there that looks way better than sculpt or flexi hair. If you don't like what you see, try another store. Off the top of my head, I recommend Wasabi Pills.

Second, there's no reason mesh clothing can't conform to your avatar's shape. The only reason it does not in SL is because Linden Lab did not believe people would use rigged mesh for clothing. I wish I were making that up, but Lindens I talked to in beta were convinced rigged mesh wouldn't be used much at all. They questioned whether rigged mesh was worth implementing at all, and considered only giving us static mesh objects.

Oz Linden, currently in charge of the already finished patch (made by an ex-Linden) has publicly stated he does not believe people in SL actually want mesh clothing that fits them and thinks forcing everyone to have identical shapes is a better solution for everyone.

So he's sitting on it. It's done. It works. Just needs to be added to the main viewer code. They're sitting on it.

Meanwhile, they're absolutely baffled by their struggle to retain customers.

Penny Patton wrote:

Oz Linden, currently in charge of the already finished patch (made by an ex-Linden) has publicly stated he does not believe people in SL actually want mesh clothing that fits them and thinks forcing everyone to have identical shapes is a better solution for everyone.

Clones.jpg

Ermm.gif     freakout.gif    freakout.gif     freakout.gif    freakout.gif        :smileysurprised:

Penny Patton wrote:

I will prolly get tarred and feathered and run out of town on a rail but I HATE MESH! I DO realize it is still in the beginning stages and has come a long way just in the short time it has been out.

Mesh beats all the others hands down as far as looks, but wearability - it has a LONG ways to go.

Mesh hair looks like globs of modelling clay layng on your head. The texture is great, but it looks horrible. It reminds me of the hair before flexi hair came out. It just lays there. Is this really a step forward or back?

I want to look like me.

I can't have big boobs IRL, so I have them in SL! (I could but hubby refuses to remortgage the house for a boob job.)

I want to look like me

I have even bought things that the maker sent along a copy of their shape so I could look exactly like them! O M G!
I want to look like me

Physics are great...your boobs jiggle, your but wiggles, but physics with mesh? Forget it. Impossible unless you want your parts jiggling out of your clothes with every step.

Kudos to all the wonderful clothing makers slaving over keeping up with all the latest fads and fashions, but for me, sorry but rarely does anything mesh work.

It's not mesh you hate, it's LL's broken implementation and possibly the poor work of some content creators.

First off, there's lots of mesh hair out there that looks way better than sculpt or flexi hair. If you don't like what you see, try another store. Off the top of my head, I recommend Wasabi Pills.

Second, there's no reason mesh clothing can't conform to your avatar's shape. The only reason it does not in SL is because Linden Lab did not believe people would use rigged mesh for clothing. I wish I were making that up, but Lindens I talked to in beta were convinced rigged mesh wouldn't be used much at all. They questioned whether rigged mesh was worth implementing at all, and considered only giving us static mesh objects.

So he's sitting on it. It's done. It works. Just needs to be added to the main viewer code. They're sitting on it.

I absolutely  do NOT want to look like everyone else, and IF an when the day comes that I am forced to have an identical shape like everyone else is the day I close my account and walk away. 

Heart Brimmer wrote:

Penny Patton wrote:

I want to look like me.

I want to look like me

I want to look like me

I absolutely  do NOT want to look like everyone else, and IF an when the day comes that I am forced to have an identical shape like everyone else is the day I close my account and walk away. 

Couldnt agree more!!

Wow!  I am beyond astounded.  I know this is LL, but wow, just wow. 

Where's their head at?

Really, what part of SL's history didn't make it overwhelmingly obvous that "if you implement it, they will wear it". 

What don't people wear in SL?  Even scripts and particles find their way into wearables.   This makes less sense than thinking we would not wear scultpies which makes less sense than thinking we would not wear original prims.  It might be marginally less senseless than thinking we wouldn't wear textures.

What are they thinking?  Do they not understand that people want to wear stuff?  If it can somehow be attached to the avatar, people are going to want to wear the bleep out of that.

Penny Patton wrote:

When did Oz say that?  I'm not doubting it; it would just useful to  have a link for future reference.

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Penny Patton wrote:

When did Oz say that?  I'm not doubting it; it would just useful to  have a link for future reference.

I'm having a hard time believing this, but not because I question Penny's integrity.  If I remember correctly, it was SL users that wanted the deformer bad enough that they pitched in to pay for it's development.  How is it possible to construe that in any other way than people in SL actually wanting it?

...Dres

(just tagging you out of convenience, replying in general)

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Penny Patton wrote:

I'm having a hard time believing this, but not because I question Penny's integrity.  If I remember correctly, it was SL users that wanted the deformer bad enough that they pitched in to pay for it's development.  How is it possible to construe that in any other way than people in SL actually wanting it?

...Dres

I would love to see some documentation on this also.  Cause if Oz gets a lot of hate mail already, this would quadruple the amount he gets.

Back when Mesh went live without a deformer in place I heard it stated that the Linden's were really thinking in terms of Builds and Objects In World, not clothes, when they did Mesh.  And that they were stunned by how much Residents embraced Mesh clothes.

Which would be in line with the continued disconnect we see between the Devs and the Users.

But even this I never saw any documentation for.

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Penny Patton wrote:

I remember Oz saying that at about the time of his initial request for test clothing but it was with the air of a mother telling her children "Well, I guess you just don't want to go to Disneyland" when they hadn't cleaned their rooms. Mom KNOWS you want to go to Disneyland, she's just irritated.

Note: No judgement as to whether this attitude is or is not justified is meant to be implied from this post.

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Penny Patton wrote:

I remember Oz saying that at about the time of his initial request for test clothing but it was with the air of a mother telling her children "Well, I guess you just don't want to go to Disneyland" when they hadn't cleaned their rooms. Mom KNOWS you want to go to Disneyland, she's just irritated.

Note: No judgement as to whether this attitude is or is not justified is meant to be implied from this post.

sounds familar but I remember it being more like if you don't donate mesh clothing we can't test it and therefore can't release it.

i dont like mesh either when they are for clothes or hair. 

however i found some rare pieces of mesh clothes that i like and kept in my inventory.

About builds, furnitures and boots, my opinion about mesh is different. Ive seen really great mesh items in this category.

So i wouldnt say i hate meshes. i just dislike them when its about hair and clothes. Maybe a time will come when meshes will be great for these 2 categories too and when we will, finally, be able to have the deformer.

That said, you have tons of creators who made the choice to still do non meshes hair and clothes. Like sm1 said, mesh are just a possibility more, but not an obligation.

i dont mind if there are tons of mesh hair and clothes on the market. I dont mind if pp like them. Till the one who dislike them will still be able to find non mesh original creations, i really dont mind. Far above non liking the meshes, what i really hate, is when ones try to impose me smth.. So since its not what is happening, there is no pb for me.

Alicia Sautereau wrote:

Designer items... stupid full perm templates they just resell with a new texture....

maybe you'll say so that every paints is a same master with a new texture too ?

creating a texture and specially for a mesh template is far from being easy... its not just color it... and often, the designers who work with mesh templates have to deal with poor maps that are far from being easy to work in pshop.

So i totally disagree with this point of view. You can have the same mesh template, what will make a real difference, is the texture and the skills of the texturer.

TheG0t wrote:

Ps. Mesh is very creative and takes a lot more imagination then a PSD kit some one bought and hawked off as their own build.......

Theg0t..

again, i cant let you say such thing. 

i dont have a lot of esteem for the merchants (i cant call them creators bec they dont create anything, they just assembly) that indeed, use psd kits or template kits and just change the fabric or the color on it. But for your information, the non mesh creators are not ALL this kind of merchants.

A lot, a lot, CREATE. they do original creations. from nothing, they create from A to Z. Even if they can use sometimes some templates, they mod the layouts in pshop, adds things, and create their own fabric... And the more often, they create the whole outfit from A to Z without using any kit,  bec they dont need any kit at all, since they are enough talented to make their own design.... 

so to opposite mesh creations, to assembled items, and ignoring the whole bunch of real original creations made without using mesh, is nothing but dishonest.

I agree 100% and you know what, I don't like it and I won't buy it. Never did never will. Except a mesh hair i decided to try out, that didn't look anything like expected. I also have mesh boots but, they aren't mesh at all, they just say they are and some people are fooled by that because when they hear the word ''mesh'' its high quality.

It looks nice, but does not feel right. I'll rather not spend hours trying to modify my shape to look like some creature. I customized my shape for a reason.

The closest thing I wear to mesh is lush prim breast, which you can't wear physic's with but they have some sort of jiggle effect, or it's just my ao's walk.

But overal mesh looks great, but isn't wearable to without changing your self. (Unless you have standard sized shape, and in which that case you probably don't look too well.)

Lets all calm down though, mesh isn''t for everybody.

P.S I love mesh furniture and animals just not clothes.

a lot of times i don't have to adjust my shape..but if i do for a certain outfit..since my shape is my shape i can create copies..

so i make my adjustment and save it..then put that copy into that folder and keep my original intact..

about the only unique thing someone will have with their shape is their face..

unless they went extreme with proportions..

just about every combination of body you could want is on the market place or in world anyways..

the adjustments i have had to make for mesh when i do have to adjust for an outfit are pretty minimal..

a slight tuck here or there..nothing extreme enough that it throws things out of wack or takes away any kind of individuality that i may feel i have..

some adjustments  i've found to be improvements..

so really saying things are perfect the way they are may only be because of thinking there is no room for improvement..

there is always room for improvement =)

we wouldn't be shopping like there is no tomorrow if we were totally satisfied..

I want to look like me.

I want to look like me

I want to look like me

I like jiggly boobies too..I design in both, but it seems no one wears flexi skirts.  And its pretty split what I sell. The mesh shoes are nice though.. I would advise those as happy mediums you dont have to use your shape edit much. Also, I hear ya on the hair.... But I go someplace and htere is like 5 of them that look the same, only difference is makeup or tats and usually with that frown face and pony riding hips

I did find that some mesh hair can be really lovely when blended with flexi.. so Dont give up on that yet.. I find most of the shorts mesh I have bought you have to make your legs far too thin.

But its not going to get better, with teh mesh avatars..... it will be like a bunch'a clones walking around I think..

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

TheG0t wrote:

Ps. Mesh is very creative and takes a lot more imagination then a PSD kit some one bought and hawked off as their own build.......

Theg0t..

i dont have a lot of esteem for the merchants (i cant call them creators bec they dont create anything, they just assembly) that indeed, use psd kits or template kits and just change the fabric or the color on it. But for your information, the non mesh creators are not ALL this kind of merchants.

A lot, a lot, CREATE. they do original creations. from nothing, they create from A to Z. Even if they can use sometimes some templates, they mod the layouts in pshop, adds things, and create their own fabric... And the more often, they create the whole outfit from A to Z without using any kit,  bec they dont need any kit at all, since they are enough talented to make their own design.... 

so to opposite mesh creations, to assembled items, and ignoring the whole bunch of real original creations made without using mesh, is nothing but dishonest.

I might want to point out that in fashion design real world there are not many who make the fabric by hand cut and sew and embelish all with their own materials.... Does that mean they are not designers?

But maybe you mean the people who buy the mesh template and dont even bother changing from provided texture.

Tarina Sewell wrote:

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

TheG0t wrote:

Theg0t..

I might want to point out that in fashion design real world there are not many who make the fabric by hand cut and sew and embelish all with their own materials.... Does that mean they are not designers?

But maybe you mean the people who buy the mesh template and dont even bother changing from provided texture.

no, i was meaning about pp who buy template not meshes and doesnt change anything except assembling templates on layers. ETA : those ones are not creators according my definition of what should be a creator.. but well, just my opinion.. Anyway, i just wanted to make the difference between those and the creators bec IMHO, its not really intellectually honnest to put in the same bag the ones who just assembly templates (non mesh ones) without making any transformation and those ones who create from A to Z and then opposite the bag to the mesh creators one... 

Madeline Blackbart wrote:

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Penny Patton wrote:

sounds familar but I remember it being more like if you don't donate mesh clothing we can't test it and therefore can't release it.

Yeah, that's what I'm referring to, however if you don't set up rigged mesh so it's compatible with the appearance editor (and make no mistake, this isn't some unreasonable demand, videogames do this all the time), then the only option you leave is that people have to have shapes which conform to those used by the creators.

In addition to forcing cookie cutter shapes, you get things like the "standard sizing initiative", where the shapes being used for "standard sizes" aren't good shapes!  So you're left with the decision, do you want a good shape, or the shape necessary for use with "standard sizing" mesh content?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2917 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.