Second Life looks...tacky

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4070 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

16 wrote:

no it doesn't. it generates pages and pages of stuff you search for. you going to all kinds of risqué stuff on any keyword if you don't filter/moderate. is same google and bing image search if you don't filter/moderate on them

Not even close. I believe they're still using a stock version of Lucene for Marketplace and haven't bothered with relevance (or have overridden it with some other silly metric) to rank-order the results.

This is the kind of result one would get with Google if Page Rank were never invented.

the only thing i disagree with is you keep saying the majority of sl prefers this tacky way..just because you see what is on the everything best selling  search..

that is where you just are not right..

it's not even close to half..

it may not even be 1/4

that's like saying..

dunkin doughnuts in chicago  had a sale...

the cream filled long johns went out of stock before any of the other doughnuts did..

so the majority of the world  preferes cream filled long johns over all other doughnuts..

the thing is..it doesn't take the majority of the population of sl to put something on the best selling list..

because the majority that does stay in sl for years..does not shop the same..they are a bit more picky..

where newer users to sl that are still trying to understand things and fit in or find themselves..

unless they have friends in here to show them the better places to shop..

they will more than likely get handed an Lm from these places or get a tp from one of the freebie shops or spammed..

going from a default and seeing these other avatars may not seem as tacky to them as what they start out with..

that's why i say..the longer you are in world the more you learn about the nicer things SL has in it..

you won't find it on the best selling of everything page..

you will find it when you learn to use the search and define your search a little better..

that is going to each catagory ..then use best selling and see how much they don't stand out..

some places use cheap tactics  to make that best selling everything list..

but they won't stand out in their own catagory...

because they are not the majority in their own catagory..they are the minority..

the cheap stuff will always be the best selling..

quality you always have to dig a little deeper  to find..this is in just about everything on the planet..

Qie Niangao wrote:

16 wrote:

no it doesn't. it generates pages and pages of stuff you search for. you going to all kinds of risqué stuff on any keyword if you don't filter/moderate. is same google and bing image search if you don't filter/moderate on them

Not even close. I believe they're still using a stock version of Lucene for Marketplace and haven't bothered with relevance (or have overridden it with some other silly metric) to rank-order the results.

This is the kind of result one would get with Google if Page Rank were never invented.

i dont understand when i read claims about full of slutwear like pages and pages

if i want a dress then i go:

Search in: Apparel

Maturity: General

Keywords: dress

Sort by: Best Selling

Filter: \ Women's \ Women's Dresses \ Casual Dresses (or kind am looking for)

Price: however much money i want to spend

when i do this then is pages and pages of normal ordinary dresses that i can see in any G rated RL fashion mag

16 wrote:

Qie Niangao wrote:

16 wrote:

i dont understand when i read claims about full of slutwear like pages and pages

if i want a dress then i go:

Search in: Apparel

Maturity: General

Keywords: dress

Sort by: Best Selling

Filter: \ Women's \ Women's Dresses \ Casual Dresses (or kind am looking for)

Price: however much money i want to spend

when i do this then is pages and pages of normal ordinary dresses that i can see in any G rated RL fashion mag

best selling search changes from day to day..

what may be on there today will be different tomorrow..

the majority is in no way jersey shore look..

as you said..what someone wants to stick out will stick out for them..

obvious is obvious..

that's why the best way to shop is by catagory if you are really looking for something..

if someone really was serious about wanting to find out how the majority of  people in SL shopped..

they would put a heck of a lot more effort into their research..than  just going by the first page of one day on the best selling list hehehehe

and it would be a lot more wider of a range than just going off the market place and calling it done..

that's knd of like those research guys that come in here with their interviews and 10 questions..then go and write a whole article about what SL is like..

only the best selling search research way.. takes less time and effort to come to a conclusion..

Phil Deakins wrote:

Qie Niangao wrote:

This is the kind of result one would get with Google if
Page Rank
were never invented.

That's PageRank - all one word
;)

It was named after the guy who came up with it - Larry Page - one of the 2 founders of the Google engine.

so it's larry page rank LOL

look out here comes larry page..he's rank!!

Ceka Cianci wrote:

best selling search changes from day to day..

what may be on there today will be different tomorrow.. 

yes have noticed that. I like to sort by best selling. firstly and mostly just to see what other people are buying at the moment. I don't use the other sorts much anymore

after I set up my filters then just flick thru the pages. when I see something I like then click into the shop and see what else they got. sometimes like quite often end up getting something else instead of the one I first clicked on

mostly bc I not want to go somewhere and end up looking at someone else with same outfit on who done same as me same time. lol shame that (:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

Qie Niangao wrote:

This is the kind of result one would get with Google if
Page Rank
were never invented.

That's PageRank - all one word
;)

It was named after the guy who came up with it - Larry Page - one of the 2 founders of the Google engine.

so it's larry page rank LOL

look out here comes larry page..he's rank!!

LOL Yep.

People have often assumed that the 'page' in PageRank means ranking pages but, although PageRank does that, the 'page' bit is because Larry Page invented it. It also suits the ranking of pages.

So if I am getting this all correctly you think Second Life is tacky because

1. People dress in what you consider a tacky manner in order to have

2. virtual sex and

3. you think virtual sex is tacky.

So my question is what's tacky about virtual sex?  Where did the idea come from that there is something tacky about it? 

Maybe one of the good things about SL is that it challenges the idea that sex in general is tacky.

Outside of a scientifically conducted Survey your assertion that Slex is just for losers who can't get RL sex all you have is a biased opinion with no foundation in reality.

Perrie Juran wrote:

So if I am getting this all correctly you think Second Life is tacky because

1. People dress in what you consider a tacky manner in order to have

2. virtual sex and

3. you think virtual sex is tacky.

So my question is what's tacky about virtual sex?  Where did the idea come from that there is something tacky about it? 

Maybe one of the good things about SL is that it challenges the idea that sex in general is tacky.

Outside of a scientifically conducted Survey your assertion that Slex is just for losers who can't get RL sex all you have is a biased opinion with no foundation in reality.

^^^^^^^^^^ This

Perrie Juran wrote:

No, it's widespread around the internet. Maybe you should have a look at this for a reality check, it's a reddit thread http://www.reddit.com/r/cringe/comments/189rbb/second_life_sex_scenethis_is_cringeworthy/. It's quite recent, just a month ago.

A bunch of real trolls. Some of the things I would like to point out in their conversation

"Well done , you pretended to be a girl and got some cave dweller to **bleep** for you." Some cave dweller is that worse or better than loser? (don't actually answer that)

"Yes, in Second Life the people can make their virtual characters engage in various/multiple sexual acts/positions...lol. They can type/voice chat while doing this." This is what they know about second life. All the tacky stuff on the marketplace makes this image seem true.

"I was listening to a grown man **bleep** to my virtual character...I think it goes without saying, I'm in." maybe that grown man was you.

"I'd imagine. I remember hearing some f*cked up stuff about buying d*cks on SL." my point about the super realistic genitalia on the marketplace and how it looks like from an outside perspective.

Before anyone gets so excited or even proud about having sex in SL, keep in mind that that avatar you doing it with could just be a troll from somewhere else and they have a whole thread made just to laugh at how much of a "cave dweller" you are.

This is just one recent example. I have seen other conversations on other message boards and comments to know that Second Life does not have a good reputation.

You never heard anyone in RL describe a partner as a "lame F*ck?"

Just like there is good and bad in RL, there is good and bad in SL.

But one of the reasons this kind of trolling goes on is because of people like you who define Virtual Sex as being something for lame users who can't get any in RL.

For every incident like the one you linked to there are dozens others enjoying a wonderful virtual sex life.

Charli Infinity wrote:

I just wanted to show you that these people and opinions do exists since you say my claim has "no foundation in reality"

It was your claim that it was only for losers I was refuting.

To the excusion of all the winners.

Ok, so you managed to point to one source where SL has a reputation for virtual sex. At least a few posts between 2 or 3 people, anyway. I guess that means the whole world thinks of SL as a place that's all about virtual sex ;) Actually, I think SL does have a bit of a reputation for that, but only a bit of one.

What you are forgetting, and there's no excuse for forgetting it, is that negative news is far more popular than positive news. It's the 'bad' stuff that gets the headlines and gets talked about far more than 'good' stuff. SL does contain what some people think of as 'bad' stuff, but it mostly contains what everyone thinks of as 'good' stuff. Unfortunately, it's usually the bad stuff in life that gets talked about, and discussions about SL are no different.

Wow, that sure does prove your point. You get asked for documentation of your statements regarding how others view SL and you come up with excerpts from Cracked.com and Reddit? Woohoo, that's some pretty serious stuff right there!

If you actually consider anything anyone says on those sites to be something that you need to take seriously in your real life decisions, you have issues.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4070 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.